The PCSX2 team's statement regarding the "DamonPS2" emulator
(01-27-2018, 10:39 PM)[]HP[]Hawkeye Wrote: Before I say anything I just want you guys to know I support PCSX2 very much. However and this is where you guys may strongly disagree but I grabbed a copy of this emulator and tried it on obviously a much slower CPU than I have in my PC which is an AMD FX-8350 8 core 4.0 GHz and games which under perform on PCSX2 actually performed better on this new emulator on a mobile device with a much slower CPU and STP. Personally I can't stand mobile devices like tablets. I wish that fad would just go away. I'm always gonna stick with PC and support PCSX2. But I can't help but wonder and no offense to the PCSX2 dev team but PCSX2 is notoriously bad at utilizing CPU cores efficiently. That's why PCSX2 requires such an unrealistically high STP which isn't feasible for most people and that begs the question what did this group of developers do better?

Honestly, AMD FX CPUs aren't great. Specifically, the 8 cores that they are composed of are pretty weak individually.

As for PCSX2, most of the components are timing critical which prevents them from being decoupled from the emulator. The only exception to this is the MTVU thread (VU1) which generally uses 1 core of the CPU on its' own. PCSX2 only uses 3 cores at max.

The emulation speed itself also is very dependent on the game. Graphics vs CPU intensive games will bottleneck in different ways. Sometimes it's the GPU that may be too weak and not the CPU. It seems in your case that you are being CPU bound, but I don't know what GPU you're running. Hope that answers your question Smile

Sponsored links

Quote:that begs the question what did this group of developers do better

Speedhacks dialed up to maximum.

I noticed this right away when the first videos dropped:
They were pointing at the FPS counter, mesmerized by the numbers, all the while the actual game was barely moving (FFX).
To bring the game down like that, the cycle hacks must be on extreme.
(01-27-2018, 10:39 PM)[]HP[]Hawkeye Wrote: But I can't help but wonder and no offense to the PCSX2 dev team but PCSX2 is notoriously bad at utilizing CPU cores efficiently. That's why PCSX2 requires such an unrealistically high STP which isn't feasible for most people and that begs the question what did this group of developers do better?

This is your misunderstanding.

PCSX2 is outstanding doing what it does on any x86 processor utilising relevant capabilities exposed at the assembly and instruction set to improve the emulation of a completely different architecture.

The inferior capabilities offered by pre-ryzen amd processors just hit markable processing restrictions sooner than their intel counterpart.  While the PS2 has multiple processors, it is not actually feasible to emuluate them like a multicore computer because they have baked in design requirements such as timing and pipeline data hazards that would do more harm then good to safely split off into multiple threads.

Not even CEMU benefits much from multithreading on FX processors, the performance just isn't there and they have cache and pipeline contention issues i their design which do more to reduce performance than improve it.
So did the DMCA not go through? It seems to be still up in the app store.
(02-26-2018, 06:07 PM)bomblord Wrote:  It seems to be still up in the app store.

Not really. https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...pro.ppsspp
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Sorry for the disturbance but the app has been app for sometime now,

Any update on the situation?
Nothing we want to discuss publicly at the moment
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(01-12-2018, 09:14 PM)Maarcis12 Wrote: What do you think of TechUtopia's videos on this regard? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29ycf30HtZ4 I'm personally not buying what he says.

as damonps2 said in this video comment field  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr5oBRkY-kQ&t=242s
Damonps2 said :
"Originally, I wanted to say, hope PCSX2's network maintainers carefully looking for evidence of source code in the new version of Damon PS2. But you know, that's hard for network maintainers who do not know the techniques behind source code development. So, to guys who do not even know about "black box testing," you can expect them to understand what it means to be source code? The outsiders of these technologies simply can not distinguish between "golden reference model" and "source code copy." Maybe you do not believe the PCSX2 team has no real developers anymore. Then you look at the PCSX2 project, the vast majority of source code files have not been modified for many years. what does this mean?Because most of the top developers have left the project. So, In the future, there will be no 64-bit PCSX2, no android PCSX2, or even no v1.6 PCSX2. So, most of the current PCSX2 team will only cry and do not understand development technology. We have 10000% confidence in our source code. The legitimacy of our source code will not be disrupted by these outsiders."

is it true pcsx2 will not release the 1.6 version update?
whether top developers have left the project?
(03-21-2018, 11:21 PM)Alif Ogawa Wrote: is it true pcsx2 will not release the 1.6 version update?
whether top developers have left the project?
Best would be to ask DamonPS2 dev team.
They recently had a chat with the boss of pcsx2 project and finally drew conclusions.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
It is true that we have lost some of the most active developers, but you have to remember this is a hobby for us all and most of us are getting older now and have other responsibilities, but there are still active developers around doing good work.

We will be releasing 1.6, he doesn't know what he's talking about there.

Also we haven't modified quite a few of the files because the emulation in those files works fine and we haven't found any new bugs, so there's no point in modifying it.

As for not knowing the difference between "golden reference model" and "source code copy", I wouldn't say duplicating our file structures and using our features (some of which are 100% compatible with PCSX2) and using our same strings is classed as a reference model, it is in face a source code copy. We even know within 3 months when he branched our code (because he left version numbers in, the idiot).

Basically he's making poor excuses to try and make us look bad to hide the fact he stole our source code and used it without adhering to the license. He's not really a person to be trusted.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]