The best settings I managed with PCSX2
Hey guys, long time lurker on these forums, but a big fan of PCSX2.

EDIT: FYI, I'm using PCSX2 beta r1888.

PCSX2 has finally reached a level where PS2 games are playable. What's more amazing is that it runs games at playable framerates even with 4 times the graphical fidelity of an actual PS2. I'm talking up to 1080p with 3x AA here.
The catch is that almost every game needs it's own custom settings in PCSX2 to run properly. A few games can share the same emulator configuration, but you'll find that one game is totally unplayable on those same settings, forcing you to go through yet another trail and error marathon with the emulator's options till the game runs right.

I'm writing this post as a reference for myself, as I have found quite a few variations for the various PS2 games in my collection that I have no hope of remembering for long.

Please note: The graphical settings I'm using to run PS2 games require a monster overclock and a top of the line graphics card. The speeds I'm getting right now were not even possible for me before I upgraded from an nVidia GTX280 to an ATI 5870. There's about a 20fps difference between the two cards in PCSX2, which meant I had to keep the "texture filtering" setting grayed out in order to play at 60fps stable on the GTX280 in the past.

These settings are still useful if you have a lower end rig, just don't crank up the graphics quality to 11!

Starting with the common settings:

Graphics plugin

CPU settings

Ok, here we go:

WIPEOUT PULSE

The precursor to Wipeout HD on the PS3. Game is fun, but it's easy to mess up the config and get jittery performance with this one.

Configuration
Advanced Settings, Speed Hacks

Screenshots:
1, 2

ZONE OF THE ENDERS THE 2ND RUNNER

One of the most amazing games on the PS2, has not been matched with a next-gen mech game to date in my opinion. This game is not perfectly emulated, any section in the game with blurring ends up running at very low framerates as seen on these shots:
1, 2, 3

Other than the slowdowns when there is massive blurring, the game is easily playable and running at 60fps stable. Fortunately the aforementioned blurring effects only occur during cut-scenes, so you can still play the game until the PCSX2 developers sort out this issue in a future release.

Configuration

Screenshots:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5

SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS

My favourite PS2 game by far, this is the most striking example of how great a last-gen game can look with just an increased resolution. Going from the title's original resolution of 512x512 on the PS2 to true high definition 1080p on PCSX2, this game can rival early PS3 titles.

Configuration
Screenshots:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

Saved this for last...

GRAN TURISMO 4

The most notoriously difficult PS2 game to emulate, this title has eluded playable status on the PCSX2 for years. It's like the emulation scene's Crysis!
It's finally playable, and just check out the screenshots. Beautiful.

Configuration

Screenshots:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5

That's it for now. Hope this helps someone looking to try out a few PS2 games on their gamer laptops or in HD.
C2D E8400 @ 4ghz
Asus Maximus Formula
G.Skill 4gb (2x2gb) @ 1000mhz
XFX 5870 1gb
Intel X-25m 160GB SSD
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
Dell 30" 3007wfp

Sponsored links

Nice research there, useful info Wink I'd say you should post all your screens and settings used/notes in the screenshots thread, which we have for cases just like this:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Post-your...ideos-here
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(04-27-2010, 12:06 AM)Bositman Wrote: Nice research there, useful info Wink I'd say you should post all your screens and settings used/notes in the screenshots thread, which we have for cases just like this:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Post-your...ideos-here

thanks man!

I was worried my post would be too long for that thread.
C2D E8400 @ 4ghz
Asus Maximus Formula
XFX 5870 1gb
Intel X-25m 160GB SSD
Dell 30" 3007wfp
I suggest you make a reply for each game, cleaner and nicer
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Why do you use microVU? You can use it in some games for compatibility, but it slows a lot your speed. Wacko
If you don't use it, you can stop using speedhacks and put clamp mode in normal, to get more compatibility. Or using speedhacks to get a better speed in some games.
Athlon x2 240 2.8 GHz / HD5670 512MB / 2 GB RAM DDR2-800 / Windows 7 x64

"Pardoning the bad is injuring the good."
Huh? It's a little slower but "slows a lot your speed"? Maybe for specific games but ehr no it doesn't slow down as much as you say Oo
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
To me it slows a 10% (of the total speed). Ohmy!!! That's a lot.Laugh
It goes from 60 to 54, from 95 to 85...
Actualy I didn't try it in a lot of games, maybe I just pick the ones that are bad with it. Anyway, it isn't normally necessary, and it slows your speed (a little or a lot, but it does).
Athlon x2 240 2.8 GHz / HD5670 512MB / 2 GB RAM DDR2-800 / Windows 7 x64

"Pardoning the bad is injuring the good."
That's the biggest reason sVU is still in.
The recompiler does some really crazy optimizations (breaking the VU specs on a lot of things, too!) so it's faster than mVU.
Of course that's worth nothing when it produces uncorrectable errors.
euhm i get alot of trash when i play gt4 settings :/

specs;

E8400 @3.5 ghz
4gb ram
ati 5770
windows 7 64 bit.

i have the graphics on native and dx10 hardware mode.
the rest is the same as you would normally have and your settings ofcourse.

see atachment for details of the problem.
(04-27-2010, 09:12 AM)warWeeny Wrote: euhm i get alot of trash when i play gt4 settings :/

specs;

E8400 @3.5 ghz
4gb ram
ati 5770
windows 7 64 bit.

i have the graphics on native and dx10 hardware mode.
the rest is the same as you would normally have and your settings ofcourse.

see atachment for details of the problem.

this only works for gt4 ntsc AFAIK:

in options, video options:
set brightness to 0.

it will be fine after that.
C2D E8400 @ 4ghz
Asus Maximus Formula
XFX 5870 1gb
Intel X-25m 160GB SSD
Dell 30" 3007wfp