"The following folders exist, but are not writable"
Hi,

I'm trying to get PCSX2 0.9.7 to work on a Mac OS X Lion. I mounted it from the .dmg file, but when I try setting it up I get the following message:

"Portable mode error - PCSX2

PCSX2 has been installed as a portable application but cannot run due to the following errors:

The following folders exist, but are not writable:
/Volumes/PCSX2 0.9.7/pcsx2 0.9.7 Alpha.app/Contents/Resources/pcsx2/inis
/Volumes/PCSX2 0.9.7/pcsx2 0.9.7 Alpha.app/Contents/Resources/pcsx2/memcards
/Volumes/PCSX2 0.9.7/pcsx2 0.9.7 Alpha.app/Contents/Resources/pcsx2/sstates
/Volumes/PCSX2 0.9.7/pcsx2 0.9.7 Alpha.app/Contents/Resources/pcsx2/snaps
/Volumes/PCSX2 0.9.7/pcsx2 0.9.7 Alpha.app/Contents/Resources/pcsx2/logs

Please ensure that these folders are created and that your user account is granted write permissions to them..."

It gives me the option to switch to User Documents mode (whatever that means; I'm new to Macs and not very Mac savvy) but further down the line I get the following errors:

"Can't create log file logs/GSzzogl.log"

then

"Cannot apply settings...

The selected GS plugin failed to load."

It won't let me proceed past that point.

When I click on "get info" for the port it says under sharing & permissions "you have custom access" and "Read & Write"; however if I click on the pcsx2 application icon and click "show package contents" all the folders (including the ones listed above) say "you can only read", despite the fact it says "Read & Write" for every user underneath. Is this the source of the problem, and is there some way I can fix it?

I tried looking this up elsewhere on the forum but it seems like everyone with the same error messages had their external port formatted as NTFS, whereas mine says "Mac OS X extended". (Am I being dense and not realising they're actually the same thing or something?)

Any help will be massively appreciated. Thanks,

Dan

Sponsored links

try running that command in a terminal : chmod -R 755 /Volumes/PCSX2 0.9.7/pcsx2 0.9.7 Alpha.app/Contents/Resources/pcsx2/
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Thanks for the reply jesalvein. I tried that (with quote marks around the "PCSX2 0.9.7" etc) but I get this message:

"chmod: Unable to change file mode on /Volumes/PCSX2 0.9.7/pcsx2 0.9.7 Alpha.app/Contents/Resources/pcsx2/: Read-only file system"

plus the same message for every subfolder.
what do you get with a
mount|grep /Volumes
In Terminal I get:

"[iMac name]:~ [username]$ /dev/disk5s2 on /Volumes/PCSX2 0.9.7 (hfs, local, nodev, nosuid, read-only, noowners, mounted by [username])" and the same for every volume.

If I try it in X11 I get:

"/dev/disk5s2 on /Volumes/PCSX2 0.9.7 (hfs, local, nodev, nosuid, read-only, noowners, mounted by [username])
[same for every volume]
bash-3.2$"
(05-14-2014, 09:11 AM)Dan1987 Wrote: In Terminal I get:

"[iMac name]:~ [username]$ /dev/disk5s2 on /Volumes/PCSX2 0.9.7 (hfs, local, nodev, nosuid, read-only, noowners, mounted by [username])" and the same for every volume.

"/dev/disk5s2 on /Volumes/PCSX2 0.9.7 (hfs, local, nodev, nosuid, read-only, noowners, mounted by [username])
[same for every volume]
bash-3.2$"

Dunno why every volume is in read-only mode, but you messed up something in your system.
I never used a Mac and so can't help you with this
(05-14-2014, 09:11 AM)Dan1987 Wrote: In Terminal I get:

[same for every volume]
bash-3.2$"

Hi Dan, I'm a bit late with this, but I only just started looking at emulators yesterday. It seems that your files have gone into a temporary filesystem, created when you ran the install. This is locked down by the mac and set to read-only.

I ran the .dmg file, and then copied all the files out to a folder on my desktop. I then ran the library and Wxwidgets files. After that I downloaded the Nvidia cg toolkit. I now don't get any errors. Next up, I had to grab a bios, got this from: *snip*

Drop the bios in your desktop folder as well, then just point the configuration inside pcsx2 to that area and select a bios from the list.