The transparent part turns black.
Hello everyone, I don't know if I posted the question in the correct section.

I'm editing some textures with transparency, and there are some that work and there are some that don't. The textures with transparency that do not work, the part where it should be transparent remains completely black, and sometimes white. Is there a way to make that black part transparent?
I have an other question. Do transparent textures have to be saved in DXT5 compression and non-transparent ones in DXT1?

Thanks.

Sponsored links

(01-12-2024, 09:21 PM)MyArchvile Wrote: Hello everyone, I don't know if I posted the question in the correct section.

I'm editing some textures with transparency, and there are some that work and there are some that don't. The textures with transparency that do not work, the part where it should be transparent remains completely black, and sometimes white. Is there a way to make that black part transparent?
I have an other question. Do transparent textures have to be saved in DXT5 compression and non-transparent ones in DXT1?

Thanks.

If you're using GIMP and editing a transparent texture, you should do your edits to the transparent texture with an adjusted opacity %. Lets say you use the "paintbrush" tool on a transparent texture, or the eraser tool on a transparent texture, you should adjust the opacity % so your edits stay consistent with the original texture. Also when saving, don't Save As, choose Export As as a new .png (with default options).
Thanks for your answer!

I have done the test in GIMP on an unmodified texture and I did not get any results. I have done several tests with the rubber with various levels of opacity. No change in texture is shown, except when I set the opacity to 100%, that's when the black fill appears. Is there a specific percentage for it to work?

I'm using Photoshop to edit the textures. I use GIMP to convert .DDS to .PNG, and then transfer the edited textures back to .DDS. I read somewhere that it was better
load textures in .DDS format instead of .PNG. Is that correct?
(01-13-2024, 12:11 AM)MyArchvile Wrote: Thanks for your answer!

I have done the test in GIMP on an unmodified texture and I did not get any results. I have done several tests with the rubber with various levels of opacity. No change in texture is shown, except when I set the opacity to 100%, that's when the black fill appears. Is there a specific percentage for it to work?

I'm using Photoshop to edit the textures. I use GIMP to convert .DDS to .PNG, and then transfer the edited textures back to .DDS. I read somewhere that it was better
load textures in .DDS format instead of .PNG. Is that correct?

You shouldn't have to convert from .DDS to .PNG. When you dump textures in PCSX2 they should be in .PNG format, all you should need to do is open it in GIMP, make your edits then "Export As" .PNG. If you do Save As .PNG in my experience it won't save properly. You have to Export As .PNG.

In some cases I've been able to edit the transparent texture directly with an opacity % on the paintbrush or eraser tool. However, there's something else you can try if this doesn't work. I've had to do this in some cases to make edits. I think that in some cases the transparency format of the exported .PNG texture is different in some games that requires you to do this extra step. In some games I can edit the transparent texture directly in GIMP, in other games this extra step may be needed to edit the texture.

So when you see your transparent texture in GIMP, click on the "Layer" menu, then go to Transparency > Threshold Alpha then select OK. (don't touch the slider)

The transparency will immediately go away and will turn into a solid texture that you can then edit. Then you should be able to edit it no problem. When you're ready to save it, you shouldn't even need to make it transparent again (at least in my experience it's not necessary to do that). When you've made your edits, you go to File > Export As and save it as .PNG (with the default options). See if that works.

If the changes show up but it's not transparent enough, then you can always go back into Threshold Alpha and try to make it transparent again before Exporting As, but in my experience, this was not necessary. In my experience simply Exporting As .PNG re-gave it the property transparency automatically.
Hello,

I have tried the other option and the results are still the same. I converted the texture to a solid (Layer > Transparency > Alpha Threshold), edited it, and exported it as a .PNG. There are no changes. I tried to make the modified image transparent again and exported it. There are no changes.

I don't know if I fail at some point, or if I have to try another alternative. Or perhaps there are textures that cannot be converted to transparent textures. In any case, transparency should work in this texture.

Thanks again.