Throttling issue with PCSX2
(03-18-2010, 05:23 PM)prithwish Wrote: I checked the CPU fan/heatsink...Clogged up BEYOND belief. Muck everywhere. It's a miracle the fan even moves...

I dont think it can ever be cleaned. Need to buy a new one, I guess....

Any tips on which CPU fan/heatsink I should get?

Thanks a lot for all your help till now Laugh

No way it can't be cleaned. Just get an air blower to blow the dust off and it will be fine
[Image: newsig.jpg]

Sponsored links

(03-18-2010, 05:23 PM)prithwish Wrote: I checked the CPU fan/heatsink...Clogged up BEYOND belief. Muck everywhere. It's a miracle the fan even moves...

I dont think it can ever be cleaned. Need to buy a new one, I guess....

Any tips on which CPU fan/heatsink I should get?

Thanks a lot for all your help till now Laugh

thought so. you can use a can of "air" to blow the dust or even use a blow drier, so long as the computers off first, blowing hot air on a cooling device attached to a hot cpu may kill the cpu, if it is hard to get off then take of the heat sink (buy thermal paste first, you shouldn't need a high grade at all)

then take off the fan, you can then try a hair dryer or even blow(if you get it wet then thats bad) on the thing if you want.
check the fan, reattach it, and then apply new thermal paste on the cpu and put the heat sink back on.

i do suggest taking the fan off first so you can get the dust into a trash bin or right outside. but go to any computer part store and they should have thermal paste, if you dont want to do this yourself, many computer stores will have a cleaning service. (the one i worked at did.... someone cam in with a computer with crack clogging in it, and one with MJ)
Okay, I opened up the heatsink/fan and cleaned out a CRAPLOAD of dust and muck....Idle temps around 40-45c now, occasionally hitting 50c, but on load, running PCSX2, I've never had them hit 70c......YET. So no throttling issues either, after around 30 mins of playing GoW 2.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out! Really appreciate it. Smile

Problem looks solved for now, will post if this happens again. .

Cheers
Specs
------
AMD Athlon X2 5600+ @ 2.81 GHz
2 GB DDR2 RAM
GeForce 9600GT 512MB
Windows XP SP 2
(03-20-2010, 06:48 PM)prithwish Wrote: Okay, I opened up the heatsink/fan and cleaned out a CRAPLOAD of dust and muck....Idle temps around 40-45c now, occasionally hitting 50c, but on load, running PCSX2, I've never had them hit 70c......YET. So no throttling issues either, after around 30 mins of playing GoW 2.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out! Really appreciate it. Smile

Problem looks solved for now, will post if this happens again. .

Cheers

sounds a bit better, but still seems high for idle.