Time to drop DX9?
DX9 is an aging dinosaur and Dolphin has dropped it explaining why here: https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2013/10/12/...ns-future/

So if DX9 was holding back Dolphin Development, doesn't that mean the same for PCSX2? Why not just drop it by now. The difference is very apparent in a Zelda Twilight Princess vs Metal Gear Solid 2 comparison. Zelda runs perfectly on my laptop, but MGS2 runs really badly when certain effects are used (yes I've used native resolution and disabled hyperthreading). Sure I've got a gaming PC at home, but I'm not at home all the time and my ultrabook works for most games.

I hope that the PCSX gets rid of the chains holding it back that is DX9. Any decent computer these days can use DX10+

Sponsored links

It's not getting developed these days and it's only for users who have very old Gpu/ windows XP. It's pretty much deprecated. Just because lots of people have D3D10+ cards doesn't give a valid reason to drop support for most of the other users. Also having it removed/ stay doesn't really matter much on development.

Why do you want to remove D3D9 support ? I guess for preventing DX SDK dependency ?
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(12-05-2015, 03:27 AM)phly95 Wrote: DX9 is an aging dinosaur and Dolphin has dropped it explaining why here: https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2013/10/12/...ns-future/

So if DX9 was holding back Dolphin Development, doesn't that mean the same for PCSX2? Why not just drop it by now. The difference is very apparent in a Zelda Twilight Princess vs Metal Gear Solid 2 comparison. Zelda runs perfectly on my laptop, but MGS2 runs really badly when certain effects are used (yes I've used native resolution and disabled hyperthreading). Sure I've got a gaming PC at home, but I'm not at home all the time and my ultrabook works for most games.

I hope that the PCSX gets rid of the chains holding it back that is DX9. Any decent computer these days can use DX10+

The part getting developed these days is gsdx opengl mode.
That said, I don't get how the comparison between zelda emulated in dolphin and mgs2 emulated in pcsx2 may be relevant ?? Blink
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Different programs have different code. If a program (more precisely, the developers who work on it) has problems with an API, it doesn't mean that other programs must have the same problems as well. If Dolphin used the plugin architecture at that time, there would be no need to remove the Direct3D 9 back-end.
well in this day in age everyone has DX11 and OPENGL support by the cards unless they really old, why support and work on 3+ api's when 1 or 2 are far superior? and work better providing the drivers are up to the task.

DX9 and 11 really havent been update in any meaning full way they there mostly for the legacy support mostly DX9 imo anyway, Opengl on the other hand is making leaps and bound over them atm due to gregory.

and seing it plugin it dont really mater if it there are not?
(12-05-2015, 07:00 AM)tsunami2311 Wrote: well in this day in age everyone has DX11 and OPENGL support by the cards unless they really old, why support and work on 3+ api's when 1 or 2 are far superior? and work better providing the drivers are up to the task.

most doesn't mean on all scenarios, there might be some scenarios where the D3D9 renderer fares better than the D3D11 and Opengl renderer on PCSX2. ( you can check shadow effects on BBB)

Quote:and seing it plugin it dont really mater if it there are not?

you mean it doesn't matter if it's not at the renderer list ? there are still some people who would require the old backend due to OS limitation (Windows XP -> D3D9 ) and probably some people with older cards ...

your opinion doesn't really seem as an ideal solution. I didn't like the way dolphin handled it either, they removed the D3D9 renderer and just changed D3D11 -> D3D renderer. ( which could probably mislead users )
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(12-05-2015, 07:00 AM)tsunami2311 Wrote: well in this day in age everyone has DX11 and OPENGL support by the cards unless they really old, why support and work on 3+ api's when 1 or 2 are far superior? and work better providing the drivers are up to the task.

DX9 and 11 really havent been update in any meaning full way they there mostly for the legacy support mostly DX9 imo anyway, Opengl on the other hand is making leaps and bound over them atm  due to gregory.

and seing it plugin it dont really mater if it there are not?

In my experience, Direct3D 9 is much faster than Direct3D 11. It may depend on games, but Direct3D 11 isn't always better than Direct3D 9 in every way. Also, currently the amount of work on Direct3D is minimal. Regarding OpenGL, it's slower than Direct3D on non-Nvidia GPUs. I'm not sure what you're trying to say regarding plugins, but it matters for the users who want to use Direct3D 9.
well sorry to say, but OpenGL is actually faster for me then D3D11 is.
i mean it dont matter cause it plugin based? all the code is in the plugin for DX9~11~ opengl (GSDX.dll) and not the emulator it self

If it all in the plug in the no reason to remove it just remains for legacy purposes. Now if the code in emulator is self and that code is hold things back then yes I see reason to remove it. but at same time parts if the code of DX9 is being use in DX11 those code are hold DX11 back, is say it better to remove.

Imo DX9 should DIED years ago then again to me it dont matter I have perfered OpenGL over DX for a very long time cause it not OS/HW specific. I have no touched DX on pcsx2 since OPENGL is same speed if not faster in some cases DX9/11 it being slower on intel/amd is intel/amd driver issue last checked which isnt much that can be dont about on pcsx2 end that has to be resolved by people that make the drivers.

IMO the reason NO new DX takes off and takes years and years to get to be used is cause MS hasnt put the OLD DX at EOL and stoped supporting and started require devs to use the new version API on new products, keeping support for the older api just for legacy reason is one thing but allowing devlopers to keep using DX9 as it main render dont help.

OpenGL dont have this problem, atlest not to same extend DX does
Well, apparently it's still the default meaning a more casual user would likely leave it that way and not get the new development benefits. But yeah, as long as it's sandboxed to a plugin, I don't care as long as development continues unhindered by this. Also, I think I was wrong about assuming that MGS2 was limited by my GPU because I tried it on my desktop at home, and it has the same problem, so it must be a CPU bottleneck (the CPU in there is ancient). I can play it on the Legacy collection though minus laptop portability.

All in all, I think you only need to change the default plugin to OpenGL instead of DX9 for new users. As long as it's a choice and doesn't slow development, I have no problem keeping DX9.

So I'm just guessing the Emotion Engine is much harder to emulate than the PPC chip in the Gamecube.