Transferring data on PS3 virtual memory card to PCSX2
Hello,

After going in circles for few hours, reading posts and trying to find a similar case as mine, I've just assumed that I've got stuck.

This thread matches my case.

I want to transfer the MGS2 PS2 Classic Savedata played on my PS3 to be continued when travelling in my laptop by using PCsX2. I manage to find the save data in dev_hddo/home/UserNumber/savedata/GameFolder to mi external USB, however what I find in this folder is nothing like what I read in forums. I can't see VME files, nor PSV, but all I see are as follows:

DATA.BIN
ICONO.PNG
MASTER.BIN
PARAM.PFD
PARAM.SFO

Any idea how to use this files to transfer them to play on PCSX2?

Thanks

Sponsored links

I don't think you can.
Those are in a PS3 format, thus not compatible with pcsx2.
maybe Mymc will be able to rebuild a virtual memcard from scratch, but i wouldn't get my hopes too high...
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
I see...

Thanks a lot. I was worried that was the case, but I read so many different threads which were so similar to mine, that I thought it would be an option...

Perhaps if I would have played the MGS2 with an emulator on PS3 then this would have been possible, but being the remastered version of the game... it is actually a PS3 game, isn't it?

Thanks
Juan
(12-19-2018, 01:26 PM)valinho6 Wrote: I see...

Thanks a lot. I was worried that was the case, but I read so many different threads which were so similar to mine, that I thought it would be an option...

Perhaps if I would have played the MGS2 with an emulator on PS3 then this would have been possible, but being the remastered version of the game... it is actually a PS3 game, isn't it?

Thanks
Juan

maybe.
but i don't know what kind of memcard format emulated ps2 games on ps3 will create.
So, i can't guarantee it works
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(12-19-2018, 12:54 PM)valinho6 Wrote: Hello,

After going in circles for few hours, reading posts and trying to find a similar case as mine, I've just assumed that I've got stuck.

This thread matches my case.

I want to transfer the MGS2 PS2 Classic Savedata played on my PS3 to be continued when travelling in my laptop by using PCsX2. I manage to find the save data in dev_hddo/home/UserNumber/savedata/GameFolder to mi external USB, however what I find in this folder is nothing like what I read in forums. I can't see VME files, nor PSV, but all I see are as follows:

DATA.BIN
ICONO.PNG
MASTER.BIN
PARAM.PFD
PARAM.SFO

Any idea how to use this files to transfer them to play on PCSX2?

Thanks
just out of curiosity how big are each of those files?
as a ps2 memory card is about 8.25 MB (8,650,752 bytes) buut they can go upto 64 mb (non standard card) 
it could be as simple as renaming one of those files to Mcd001.ps2 but i don't know tbph

their is something else that's very very risky that you could try (this assumes you are very tech savy)
and that is to take the hard drive out of your ps3 and try to find the memory card files, but this assumes that 
(a) you know what you are doing 
and 
(b) the file system isn't different i'e fat32 /ntfs
and 
© the harddrive in the ps3 is sata and not pata 
and 
(d) you have some way of connecting the drive to your computer 

i'm sure someone here will have tried the above, although i've never heard of it 

waits for someone to tell me the above is a terrible idea  Tongue Blush
Not sure what graphics card you have, it's memory bandwidth,
it's temperature, fan speed, what pixel shader it has
try TechPowerUp's gpu-z

Not sure what your cpu is try cpu-z
       (hint click on the highlighted links Biggrin)
(12-20-2018, 12:37 AM)dr emulator (madmax) Wrote: just out of curiosity how big are each of those files?
as a ps2 memory card is about 8.25 MB (8,650,752 bytes) buut they can go upto 64 mb (non standard card) 
it could be as simple as renaming one of those files to Mcd001.ps2 but i don't know tbph

their is something else that's very very risky that you could try (this assumes you are very tech savy)
and that is to take the hard drive out of your ps3 and try to find the memory card files, but this assumes that 
(a) you know what you are doing 
and 
(b) the file system isn't different i'e fat32 /ntfs
and 
© the harddrive in the ps3 is sata and not pata 
and 
(d) you have some way of connecting the drive to your computer 

i'm sure someone here will have tried the above, although i've never heard of it 

waits for someone to tell me the above is a terrible idea  Tongue Blush

It is nowhere near that simple. PS3 saves use a completely different format, and PS2 games emulated on the PS3 have their saves encoded into this format. There is a conversion process for the PSV format, however I do not know if the raw format like this is documented at all.

See here: http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/PS2_Savedata

It looks like the PSV format is used when saving to external USB devices; perhaps if you copy the save to such a device, you can then take the PSV into MyMC.
(12-19-2018, 12:54 PM)valinho6 Wrote: I want to transfer the MGS2 PS2 Classic Savedata played on my PS3 to be continued when travelling in my laptop by using PCsX2. I manage to find the save data in dev_hddo/home/UserNumber/savedata/GameFolder to mi external USB, however what I find in this folder is nothing like what I read in forums. I can't see VME files, nor PSV, but all I see are as follows:

DATA.BIN
ICONO.PNG
MASTER.BIN
PARAM.PFD
PARAM.SFO

I think that you are not playing PS2 Classic, but Metal Gear Solid HD Collection that not use PS2 emulation, or at least not use emulators from PS3 firmware. This is PS3 title, and is possible that is not emulating memory card at all. 

But if you are playing using PS2 ISO, or PS2 classic self made image. Then memory card can be easily extracted.
(12-19-2018, 01:26 PM)valinho6 Wrote: Perhaps if I would have played the MGS2 with an emulator on PS3 then this would have been possible, but being the remastered version of the game... it is actually a PS3 game, isn't it?

He answered it already. He uses the remastered version of the first 3 games (IIRC) thus it's a pure PS3 game.