Trashed movie playback in FFX
(10-03-2009, 12:28 AM)auricgoldfinger Wrote:
rama Wrote:Yes, I am working on pcsx2 and many of the plugins. I'm doing this for nearly 2 years now.
In all that time I've had my fair share of people like you, who think they know my code better than I do.

If you know any of the code at all then you know more than I do. But I do know that you can have the CPU emulate anything the GPU can do, so I don't know why you declare it to be impossible.

Rama meant 'impossible' in the context of 'it will never be implemented', not literally impossible.

Software fallbacks in emulators are meant to be the best compatibility option the emulator has to offer, and attempting to hack on additional non-standard behaviors is just asking for trouble.
Software emulation should be the textbook example of how to properly emulate a system as accurately as possible; all the hacks and whatnot should be saved for the bt/recompiler portions for purity's sake.
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi

Sponsored links

(10-03-2009, 03:35 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: Uh because even just 2x resolution would need 4x the cpu power so you'd probably end up with an awesome ~30fps for your 130fps speed and with glitches from the upscale probably (and still wouldnt look as good as your 1600x1200 hardware mode does in 3D), using software mode is the compatible mode and I dont see why you would like to break the compatible mode at all.

BTW 130fps in FFX in software mode really? that's not in menus or FMVs is it? cause those dont count as the software mode gets slow only in the 3D parts... you know... the parts you actually play...

It's in the parts you play. I always knew these two other idle cores had some purpose... Wink

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I have also experienced the problems the Thread starter is talking about, am also using a PAL version of FF X, and have tried r1736 to 1888, with no success initially.

- I gave up on the pause bug, since I don't really mind corrupted graphics during the pause screen.

- The screen flickering on scenes that mix FMV and in game, as well as the blank screens on certain areas (fighting Sin's fin on the boat during the early parts of the game) only happens if I am using GSDx's directx9 mode. When I installed Vista and tried GSDx's DX10 mode, the flickers are gone as well as the blank screen glitches.

- I also experience random lockups, but those went away when I set the VU rec Clamp mode to normal. (This also fixes the flickering FMV/in game scenes, but not the blank screens/graphic glitches)
[Image: 813647.png]
+ geforce GT 440 @ Win7 64bit
I'm using Windows 7 when I experience the flicker.

There is some good news though. I tried compiling the gsdx plugin in Visual C 2008 and the video playback problem dissapeared! (but not the pause problem, it seems...) Also for some unknown reason compiling it in VS 2010 beta the plugin slows down emulation to unplayable speeds. Perhaps I'm linking in the wrong libraries due to dodgy pathname precedence. Project conversion in the beta is also known to be buggy. I think I'll just stick to compiling it in VC 2008.

Now I have a question. How can I get a snapshot of the latest functional beta? The link on http://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/source/checkout does not work (http://pcsx2.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/pcsx2-read-only, be it with or without the extraneous space).
Even though it's not entirely on-topic, and it may be known already, I thought I'd just pitch in that I was experiencing bugs where in a few scenes the character would be facing the exact opposite way they were supposed to, and in one room all the directions were reversed! (Left became right, up became down etc.). Using "Full" clamp mode corrected all these problems. But that's an option only available in the beta release.
(10-03-2009, 08:37 PM)ellachen0417 Wrote: - I also experience random lockups, but those went away when I set the VU rec Clamp mode to normal. (This also fixes the flickering FMV/in game scenes, but not the blank screens/graphic glitches)

Interesting. That almost works for me too. It no longer alternates between the wrong buffers, but all those stretchy lines on the right part of the screen are still there, as shown in the screenshots I uploaded. I thought I'd already tried enabling that option, but I guess that doesn't amount to trying all 4096 option-combinations on the "Advanced" window.

Still, using the version of gsdx I compiled myself doesn't have the stretchy lines.
The same movie playback problems have started all over again, with the same configuration I reported having fixed the problem. I may be jumping the gun again but I think I know what I did differently with the plugin that I had compiled. I started out in window mode and only switched to full-screen after I'd loaded my save game. I've tested several times to be sure and the movie playback is only correct when I perform this ritual. Unfortunately as soon as it plays the next movie in the game (without pausing the emulator or exiting full-screen) it's back to its old behaviour.

And just in case anyone wondered I'm doing all my testing on the same two movies after you defeat Evrae. I refuse to progress further into the game until this problem is resolved.
ellachen0417 what gfx card were you using?