Trying to get NCAA Football 09 to ~60 FPS
Hello,

I have played several of my games on PCSX2 1.21 (r5875) and found they work well, with different settings for each, such as WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2009, NFS: Most Wanted, and SW Battlefront II. But getting NCAA Football 09 to work right is baffling me.

I tried using the presets first, but even Preset 5 left the actual football gameplay lagging, albeit less than the others. So I considered boosting with Cortex, which got it closer, but it still becomes very slow during play. So then I tried adding all of the suggested speed-ups in the official English guide, and that oddly supercharged it to 90-110 FPS (legitimate--speech was too fast to tell what they were saying). I have no idea what I should or should not use at this point, but I will say the emulator never seemed broken, just lagged during play.

Is there a settings configuration I should try with 1.21, or would it be better to use a newer version of PCSX2 and then try to tweak settings from there?

I realize I don't have a very recent computer, but here are the specs that have always served me well:
Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
CPU: Intel i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.4 GHz
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000
8 GB

Please forgive me if I forgot to include something.

Thanks for your time and all of the hard work you all put into this project. It never ceases to amaze me. Biggrin

Sponsored links

Unless you were having some sort of weird compatibility issue (which usually never happens) PCSX2 1.2.1 is extremely outdated and provides no benefits whatsoever over its' newer counterpart.

I would recommend downloading the latest dev build and using that instead: https://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/index....rev-v1.5.0
Thanks for helping this old dinosaur get with the times, haha.

I am using 1.5 (latest version) on SSE 4.1 on Aggressive Plus with Razer Cortex helping to quell background programs. No other settings altered for speed-ups, which it seems I will need because it drops into the 40s during plays. But the visuals definitely are way better than 1.21, haha.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
What are your GSdx settings?
All default standard:
11 (Hardware)
Bilinear Texture Fltering
Native Resolition
8-bit and HW Hacks unchecked

Nothing fancy with the Speedhacks, either:
Default Aggressive Plus for EE Cyclerate (-2) and VU Cycle Stealing (1); MTVU off

I'm considering 8-bit and MTVU on, but I'm not sure that can take it from about 2/3 speed to 100%.
The addition of 8-bit and MTVU got it a bit closer, but it still lags around 50, sometimes the 40s. Weirder though is that it will sometimes go into hyperspeed as if to catch up, but the FPS clocks it at 60, not higher.
put preset back to default, aggressive is harmfull like description for it says, less you very specific reason to be messing with that you should not touch it and can report false/incorrect fps
It seems no matter where I put the Speedhacks the gameplay ends up in the 40s. I tried straight-up and that wasn't better.
that cpu might not have enough STP to pull full speed then i not sure how demanding that game is though

could make sure the power scheme for windows is set to max, anything less could be keeping the cpu from running fullspeed