[UPDATED] New suggested VFOV value for PAL Rule of Rose (all else is now ok)
Heart 
[THIS FIRST POST IS OUTDATED, WHAT'S WRITTEN HERE IS NOT A PROBLEM ANYMORE. IF ANYTHING SEE MY LAST POST. THANKS]

Hello everybody, as the title say I'm new to PCSX2 and the forum.

I just started playing Rule of Rose and after fixing the black cutscenes problem (thanks to this thread), I was wondering if I'm supposed to do anything to improve the game's graphics and resolution.

First of all, the shadows in my game are not rendered properly, as you can see here:
[UPDATE: I've fixed the shadows. I set the GS to SSE4.1 and the Renderer to Direct3D11 (Hardware)]
[Image: pcsx2r54232012100717272.jpg]

Besides that, since I was reading that emulated games can be played in much higher resolutions than their original version, I was wondering if there is any way I can increase the game's resolution.
[UPDATE: I improved the graphics by setting the scaling of the resolution to 3X and MSAA to 8X (with no slowdown)]

Also I've discovered that there is a widescreen patch by user sergx12 to make the game display in 16:9, as mentioned and shown in this video here, but I cannot find this patch anywhere. I've checked the list of widescreen patches here but couldn't find Rule of Rose listed. Where can I find this patch?

Thanks a lot Smile

Here are the main details of my system, game and PCSX2 version:

Processor: Intel Core i7 960 Quad Core Processor 3.2GHz 8MB Cache 45nm
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 485M 2GB GDDR5, 384 CUDA Cores, DX11 & PhysX
Memory: 12GB Triple Channel DDR3 1333Mhz 3x 4GB DIMM
Hard Drive: 256GB Crucial RealSSD C300

PCSX2 version: 1.1.0 r5423
BIOS version: Europe v02.20 (10/02/2006)
game version: Rule of Rose v1.02 PAL SLES-54218

Sponsored links

You can change the resolution by clicking 'Config', 'Plugin/BIOS selector', and configure GS. Make sure you're using the highest supported instruction set, and in the GS menu you can either choose native resolution, scaling, or set your own custom resolution.
We
Usually
Take
All
N*****
Garments
Well, I think you mean the up scaling. It's not exactly the same thing than actual increased resolution but it does a greater job smoothing the image by blending surrounding points colors. The effect although not the same thing looks like anti aliasing as well and albeit making the image blurrier the general visual is greatly improved.

Still some games don't like just having direct multiples of the original resolution and can present lines and artifacts. In these cases you can try less orthodox values. As example a game may present artifacts at 2x or 3x scaling but look great in let's say 1200x1200 or 1280x1280... don't be afraid to try.

The greater improvements are seen at values of 4x max. Beyond this is more like the sensation of pride for the video card than actual worthiness for the strain on it. Now, values like or equivalent to 2x or 3x are a big and real improvement over the original image and looks better than in the console itself (of course).

Just than it is not the exact same thing as real resolution increase for this last makes the image sharper and more detailed, where the scaling makes the contrary.
Imagination is where we are truly real
Thanks, so far I was able to increase the resolution and the game already looks A LOT better (I set it to 1440x1080 as it's the higest resolution with 4:3 aspect ratio I can display).

For the rest, I'm still reading the full guide and trying to figure out what all the other settings should do...

I tried GS Configure>Hardware Mode Settings Configure>MSAA and set it from 0x Z-32 to 8x Z-24 but there was no difference in the jaggines of the polygons (I'm comparing the before and after by taking .bmp screenshots with FRAPS and I reduced the noise filter of the game to the minimum to see more clearly).

I tried ticking the Alpha box (again in GS Configure>Hardware Mode Settings Configure) but the shadows were still not rendered correctly. I'm seeing if there is any other setting to correct the shadows.

I'm trying to see what other settings I can change in general to make the game look better since my system is more than capable.

Oh, and on a side note, do I have to do anything to enable vibration on a 360 controller? I don't think I'm getting any.
Please disable the MSAA (set to 0 again) and set the upscaling to x2 or x3.
Use x3 if your game runs full speed with it, else go down to x2 which is still nice enough.

Also make sure to use the DX10/11 renderer and not DX9 or software.
You may also want to enable the new gamefix from the latest SVN build that switches renderers to software when an FMV plays.
This fixes the black videos. Download the SVN build from the build bot here:
http://pcsx2.net/download/development/svn.html

To get vibration working check out the plugins sub-forum. It's a bit complicated.
Why? Setting MSAA to to 8x Z-24 and the resolution to 1440x1080 did not affect the game speed one bit (even though changing the MSAA settings didn't really do anything to the game's graphics).
My game runs at full speed, that is not my problem.
[UPDATE: there was no difference after changing the MSAA setting because I didn't tick the Enable HW Hacks box. Now I can see the difference.]

As I metioned in my first post, I have the latest build of the emulator and I don't have the black screen problem as I'm already using the gamefix that you mentioned in another thread (thanks for that).

My biggest problem right now remains the incorrect shadow rendering, see the picture in my first post.
[UPDATE: I've fixed the shadows. I set the GS to SSE4.1 and the Renderer to Direct3D11 (Hardware)]

Also I've discovered that there is a widescreen patch by user sergx12 to make the game display in 16:9, as mentioned and shown in this video here, but I cannot find this patch anywhere. I've checked the list of widescreen patches here but couldn't find Rule of Rose listed. Where could I find this patch?
(10-08-2012, 01:49 PM)Ignorope Wrote: Also I've discovered that there is a widescreen patch by user sergx12 to make the game display in 16:9, as mentioned and shown in this video here, but I cannot find this patch anywhere. I've checked the list of widescreen patches here but couldn't find Rule of Rose listed. Where could I find this patch?
The various lists are seldom complete, as new patches are released continuously. The one you want is available in a collection of patches released as a ZIP file named "ws patches 09-11-2012.zip" in post #701 of the widescreen patch thread in the 'chatterbox' subforum.

Here is a link to that ZIP attachment:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/attachment.php?aid=40117

Edit:
Ooops! Sorry, but I was mistaken.
That patch is for the US version of the game, SLUS_214.48

In another post sergx12 has described search and replacement hex strings for the ELF hack, so you could try finding the corresponding patch addresses for the Euro version yourself, using the ps2dis disassembler.

Here is a brief quote of those strings from his post:
Quote:Rule of Rose SLUS 214.48
value 1
003F013C 00608144 96B2090C
replace
123F013C 00608144 96B2090C
value 2
02000146 403F013C 00088144 02000246
replace
02000146 103F013C 00088144 02000246

Best regards: dlanor
Thanks dlanor, I saw that post and I was just right now doing the tutorial in Cheat Engine to learn how to hex edit with it (I've hex edited before, but with different programs)... but wait, it's not Cheat Engine that I have to use to change these values? Where can I find the ps2dis disassembler?
Rule of Rose SLES_542.18 Smile

.pnach   52585249.pnach (Size: 142 bytes / Downloads: 1.172)
I love you.