Unable to fast-forward / turbo regardless of game
Hi, hopefully I'm posting correctly. Lately I've come across an issue where regardless of my settings, game, or configurations I cannot make the turbo or fast-forward buttons work as intended (default binds: F4 and period, respectively). I've never had an issue with these before and never had I touched them, not even their bindings, but now it seems that they don't work anymore.
I first noticed this in Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3, but since I had patched it recently to fix the end-game wanderer problem, I thought that maybe the patch did it. Thankfully I had a backup of the original game. Tried it again, and what would you know, the same problem occurred.

At first I figured I just downloaded a nightly build that just came with the bug. No biggie, I just reinstalled the emulator with a version that I knew worked before, but now the same problem occurs, which I thought was interesting (my pcsx2 is always installed under Documents, never have I had a problem with it there).
The next step was to open logs and just tinker with the settings a lot. I noticed something interesting here in the logs that happened when I tapped the F4 or the period keys to turbo (first image):

A ton of 'Vsync is OFF' messages.
I did some digging on my own and found some old thread in the forums that also had a Vsync issue, but their problem was that it intermittently changed between 'Vsync is ON' and 'Vsync is OFF'. So it seems I may not have the same problem.
I went into Nvidia's control panel, found pcsx2, and forced Vsync on from there (and I also did it from the graphics options per game, forced it on with the check mark). Now, the log didn't show this anymore, but I had another issue entirely which was even more strange and seems undocumented from what I was able to find - whenever I touched F4 or period, the game would actually slow down for a moment.

That was incredibly weird and behavior I'd never seen anywhere in years of using the emulator, frankly. Plus, if I tapped F4 or period fast enough, I could simulate a large (almost 50% from 60fps to 30fps) slowdown into the game. And what's more perplexing is that the actual slow-down function (default binding Shift+Backtab) works just fine!

Can anyone help out with this issue? I've also attached my log as a text file.

Attached Files
.txt   turbolog.txt (Size: 7,09 KB / Downloads: 29)

Sponsored links

The most obvious thing would to be remap your turbo buttons and just in general go through the hotkeys UI with a fine-toothed comb. The default for F4 is to toggle frame limit and since PCSX2 allows you to map same button to different functions... You may have accidentally bound same button twice.

The other possibility is that something else is stealing your keys, like an overlay from some application, nvidia game center, steam, something else. Either way remap your hotkeys!
(03-10-2024, 11:35 PM)MrWizard Wrote: The most obvious thing would to be remap your turbo buttons and just in general go through the hotkeys UI with a fine-toothed comb. The default for F4 is to toggle frame limit and since PCSX2 allows you to map same button to different functions... You may have accidentally bound same button twice.

The other possibility is that something else is stealing your keys, like an overlay from some application, nvidia game center, steam, something else. Either way remap your hotkeys!

Tried this already, even tried binding fast forward / turbo to the controller lol. Nothing works.
Like I said, the function itself seems to actually function because the icon for turbo shows up on the top right, but no actual speedup is applied if that makes any sense. Also, I'm adding my specs here just in case:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-core (3600mhz)
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super
and I have 16 GB of ram.
Nvm I see you found that old thread about nvidia and vsync: https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Fast-For...#pid636678

Still could be something between vsync and monitor? Not quite sure anymore.
(03-11-2024, 12:47 AM)MrWizard Wrote: Nvm I see you found that old thread about nvidia and vsync: https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Fast-For...#pid636678

Still could be something between vsync and monitor? Not quite sure anymore.

Well, the only other thing I can tell you is that I ran DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) once to clean up old nvidia stuff and installed the latest (as of now) driver after. Maybe it could be an issue with that, at this point I'm not sure. Hope I can get some more replies in here.
The Vsync off messages are normal behavior. I can trigger them by pressing F4 (frame limit) and Turbo (speed) buttons.

What do you have under configs in the emulation section. Normal, fast forward, turbo speeds? Consider resetting all your settings to defaults in pcsx to eliminate something sneaking in.

Also what's in C:\Users\PC\Documents\PCSX2\gamesettings\SCUS-97328_77E61C8A.ini file perhaps you're doing something different for that game only?