"Unexpected end of file or stream"
Wink 
Out of nowhere I started encountering this error today. Im playing the translated version of Dragon Quest V and it happens when I try to load a save state.

Here is what is weird. If I reboot PCSX2, and load, its fine. When it loads I can spam the F3 key and it will load fine over and over. Let 10 seconds go by and try to load - boom - this error occurs. I can try to save to the same location or another save state as well and it works fine. But let a few seconds go by and try again - crashes.

"Unexpected end of file or stream encountered. File is probably truncated or corrupted.

Path: C:\Users\Username\Documents\PCSX2\sstates\SLPM-65555(E09E454C).00.p2s"

In addition to that error. The console also shows this:

"EE/iR5900-32 Recompiler Reset
(pxActionEvent) (VM_UnzipFromDisk)"

Any ideas? Ive never ran into this with this game or any game before. I am using the current build, PCSX2 1.0.0 r5350

Sponsored links

2 Things:

Save states are unreliable. Try a native memory card save.

Since it is translated, it is plausible that something is jacked up in the translation.

Odds are it is a bad save state though.
Intel Core i5-8600K @ 4.5 GHz
GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 Stock
ASRock Z370 Taichi LGA 1151 mobo
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB 2400 DDR4 RAM
SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB PCIe SSD
Indigo Xtreme Thermal Interface Material
Phanteks Enthoo Pro ES614P Black Steel Case
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 220-G2-0750-XR PSU
Windows 10 64-bit
Ugh. I was using save states to exploit being able to more easily recruit monsters at the end of a battle. Since some of them are like a 1/256 chance, I decided on this play through I didn't feel like spending 10 hours trying to recruit a single monster.

If the save state was corrupt, wouldn't it stand to reason that saving in a new spot and trying to load that would work?
Dunno for sure about DQV, but IF you're using MTvu speedhack ~ disable it. It commonly causes instability to savestates in quite alot of games.
(04-28-2013, 03:50 AM)Y2HBK Wrote: Ugh. I was using save states to exploit being able to more easily recruit monsters at the end of a battle. Since some of them are like a 1/256 chance, I decided on this play through I didn't feel like spending 10 hours trying to recruit a single monster.

If the save state was corrupt, wouldn't it stand to reason that saving in a new spot and trying to load that would work?

You can use sstates without too much worry, so long as you keep backup memory card saves. Since sstates saves the current emulation state, including any errors, reloading that same state wont fix any issues. However if you use a memory card save, you can just reset the emulator, load from MC and any errors from the sstate wont be there.
[Image: jmt41l-2.png]
SSD: 250GB | HDD: 2TB | GPU: MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming
The above posts are correct, even saving in memcard a corupt sstate and reloading from the main card forces the game to be rebuilt from the disc.

On the other hand you may not be able to get to a save point in time due to the crash. Well complicate situation since you were farming monsters so maybe not even trying saves from sites like gamefaqs will not be the same.

From now on be used to do memcard saves because sstates were never meant to replace them as long term saves. Sstates are too much vulnerable to memory errors introduced by emulation flaw or more commonly by wrong cheat codes and since it saves the whole PCSX2 memory it saves the errors also.

In the end, the only way to recover from that situation (even if not granted to work) is trying to get to a save point, save in memcard, quit the emulator to clear all memory and reload from the memcard.

Side Note: Maybe not related with the actual problem, the sstate path suggest PCSX2 is installed under C:\Program Files... what may be bad, bad news.
Imagination is where we are truly real