Unexpected parameter 'path\to\iso.iso'
Hello everyone,
I am trying to launch PCSX2 from EmulationStation using the following configuration:
Code:
<system>
<name>ps2</name>
<fullname>Playstation 2</fullname>
<path>F:\ROMs & ISOs\2002 - PlayStation 2</path>
<extension>.iso .ISO .cue .CUE .BIN .bin .mds .MDS</extension>
<command>C:\Users\Gil^ Faizon\.emulationstation\systems\pcsx2\pcsx2.exe "%ROM_RAW%" --fullscreen --nogui --fullboot</command>
<platform>ps2</platform>
<theme>ps2</theme>
</system>

I have tried several other commands as well:
Code:
C:\Users\"Gil Faizon"\.emulationstation\systems\pcsx2\pcsx2.exe "%ROM_RAW%" --fullscreen --nogui --fullboot
Code:
C:\"Users"\"Gil Faizon"\".emulationstation"\"systems"\"pcsx2"\"pcsx2.exe" "%ROM_RAW%" --fullscreen --nogui --fullboot
^for some reason this is the only way I could get Dolphin to run, but no luck for PCSX2

I have tried all three of those combinations with %ROM_RAW% and %ROM% both in and out of quotations.

I have tried placing the --fullscreen --nogui --fullboot parameters both before and after %ROM_RAW%.

I have tried placing pcsx2 and my iso directory at the root of my C: drive and have removed all spaces from their filenames.

The closest I have gotten to getting PCSX2 to launch and be able to see the full path to my game is with the config I posted at the top.

With that configuration PCSX2 launches successfully, but immediately pops up a 'PCSX2 Message' dialog window that says "Unexpected parameter 'F:\ROMs & ISOs\2002 - PlayStation 2\PS2 - Cold Fear.iso'". That is the full path to my game and the documentation doesn't specify any other parameters that it could be expecting.

When I attempted placing pcsx2 and my iso at the root of my C: drive I got a similar message of "Unexpected parameter 'C:/isos/coldfear.iso'".

I've been searching various forums for the past few days and have only come up with people who were only passing the emulator a partial path because they weren't using quotations around %ROM%. I can't find any cases of anyone getting an error despite passing the full path.

If I launch PCSX2 normally and load the iso as I normally would everything runs smoothly.

Can anyone provide any sage advice?  Unsure This is the only emulator that I can't get working with my EmulationStation setup.

Sponsored links

Paths are entered using backslashes (\) but it seems like you may have used the opposite. Check your paths first.
OK, it appears that my original issue stemmed from PCSX2's dislike of special characters in my ISO paths, in my case the '&' and '-' in my <path></path> setting.
PCSX2 also disliked the spaces in the path when I used %ROM_RAW% so I switched it to %ROM% and that fixed things.

This is my final (almost working) config:

Code:
<system>
<name>ps2</name>
<fullname>Playstation 2</fullname>
<path>F:\ROMs\2002 Sony PS2</path>
<extension>.iso .ISO .cue .CUE .BIN .bin .mds .MDS</extension>
<command>C:\Users\"Gil Faizon"\.emulationstation\systems\pcsx2\pcsx2.exe "%ROM%" --fullscreen --nogui --fullboot</command>
<platform>ps2</platform>
<theme>ps2</theme>
</system>

Now I just have to figure out why I keep getting the message "CDVD plugin failed to open. ..." every time I try to launch a game from EmulationStation or cmd.

EDIT: Changing %ROM_RAW% to %ROM% also allows me to use '&' in my path.