Updater and integer scaling?
Hey, it's me again, the guy who doesn't have a clue about programming, even less about the voodoo you do here called "PS2 emulation".

I' ve been using Duckstation for a while now, to reminiscence my youth, and I came to like a couple of features it has, so I'm asking:

1) Is it possible to add an updater in PCSX2? Duckstation, Dolphin and RPCS3 all have an updaters and enable users to select where they can update from, beta or stable versions, and they also notify for this.

2) Integer scaling in the render window/fullscreen please?

Thank you!

Sponsored links

(05-18-2021, 06:12 PM)Kostis Wrote: 1) Is it possible to add an updater in PCSX2? Duckstation, Dolphin and RPCS3 all have an updaters and enable users to select where they can update from, beta or stable versions, and they also notify for this.
[/Quote]
for stable versions, it's useless. it took 6 years to go from 1.4 to 1.6 adding an update feature that would be used once every 4-6 years....
for dev builds, it's not recommended to use for basic end users. So, we dont want to simplify this on purpose.
that said, if you really want to test several dev builds, the attached script can be handful (it's a powershell script. kudos to... can't remember)
Quote:2) Integer scaling in the render window/fullscreen please?
what is this ?

Attached Files
.txt   PCSX2 AutoUpdater.txt (Size: 2,38 KB / Downloads: 106)
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(05-18-2021, 06:12 PM)Kostis Wrote: 2) Integer scaling in the render window/fullscreen please?

Can be done but will not be true 1:1 PR any way that I can think to do it.
The rendered image gets stretched out by the CRT function regardless of window scaling and not doing that will make it look wrong.

Regardless it's not something I'm willing to touch until probably 1.9 series builds.
[Image: HkgHT5k.gif]
もっとちゃんと言ってよ
忘れないようメモにしてよ

(05-18-2021, 06:52 PM)Kojin Wrote: The rendered image gets stretched out by the CRT function regardless of window scaling and not doing that will make it look wrong.

Isn't the PSX doing the same? Duckstation has a dropdown menu for the aspect ratio and a tickbox for the integer scaling and they seem to work independent from each other. Since I don't really know how all these work, I'll take your word for it.

(05-18-2021, 06:40 PM)jesalvein Wrote: for stable versions, it's useless. it took 6 years to go from 1.4 to 1.6 adding an update feature that would be used once every 4-6 years....
for dev builds, it's not recommended to use for basic end users. So, we dont want to simplify this on purpose.

You have a point when you put it like this.
(05-18-2021, 07:54 PM)Kostis Wrote: Isn't the PSX doing the same? Duckstation has a dropdown menu for the aspect ratio and a tickbox for the integer scaling and they seem to work independent from each other. Since I don't really know how all these work, I'll take your word for it.

I'm not talking about AR, though. Games don't always output the resolution they render out at in 1:1 PR.

What I can do is I can implement scaling on the window so that a frame only gets scaled by integer numbers inside the window. So if you've got a game that isn't stretching or distorting the the backbuffer to fit into a frame it might look alright.

Not something I'm interested in this dev series, too much going on with plugin merging. I'm pretty friendly with Sten so I don't really have a problem consulting him about it when we're ready to look into it. Someone has also requested we implement downscaling from duck and I plan to do that at some point as well.
[Image: HkgHT5k.gif]
もっとちゃんと言ってよ
忘れないようメモにしてよ

Thank you for considering it.

I believe that the image is a lot sharper when it is displayed in an integer resolution rather than trying to fit exactly in every pixel in a window or fullscreen. That is of course a personal opinion, different for everyone. It will certainly be game dependent, like in PSX. The PSX sony logo, looks awesome in integer and 1:1 PAR but gets a bit messy if you put it in 4:3 for example. As long as there is the option to choose 4:3, 16:9, 1:1PAR and a "Game Native" (like in Duckstation) then I think it would be enough for anyone who wants to experiment with the image.

I never understood the point of downscaling.    Huh

Again, thank you very much for everything!