Updating my hardware. Small question!
Ok, I'm updating my laptop (not upgrading components, but selling it and gettin a new one).

Spec-wise, the new one isn't "much more" powerful, I mainly update because my actual laptop supports 1280x800 and this one 1920x1080, wich is way better for my 3D designs projects.

Anyways, my actual laptop has an 8400GT GDDR3, 128bit bus, 256vRAM;

the new one has an ATI 4650 with 1GB vRAM (I know 1GB is equal or even slower than 512MB but I had to choose that option to get the 1080p res screen).

What I wanted to know is, how well does ATI cards behave today for the emulator and PC games (i'm just a casual gamer, so 4650 is enough for me, actually 8400GT is xDD), I've heard some nasty things about driver issues and stuff.

I think PCSX2 will be a bit faster (actual proc C2D 2.4Ghz T8300; new is C2D 2.53Ghz P8700) but I don't know about the ati card...

Can anyone give me any insights on what could I expect from this card?

Thanks!!
SAGER NP8690 | i7-620M 2.66Ghz | 6GB RAM | ATI 5870M 1GB GDDR5 | FullHD 1080p 15.6'' | 500GB HDD 7200RPM | WINDOWS 7

Sponsored links

well technicly you should be able to run well, its about as good as my GT130M without overclock and i run great in most games

a 4670 is technicly exactly the same as 4650, just higher clocked, so with overclock with ati tools or rivatuner you should be able to reach the 4670 speed Smile
on standard cooling at least 10% overclock is possible

be carefull to do it step by step and dont put it 10% higher right away
[Image: 1454055.png]
I dont see how laptops can be used for gaming, emulating and 3d design with their little screen and much less power than stationary computers ( they have to be weaker or else they will burn ). Why dont you buy good stationary computer instead?
Check my profile for hardware/software and games i played on PCSX2.
(07-21-2009, 07:59 PM)nataq01 Wrote: I dont see how laptops can be used for gaming, emulating and 3d design with their little screen and much less power than stationary computers ( they have to be weaker or else they will burn ). Why dont you buy good stationary computer instead?

Because then it's stationary. Mobility is often a very important concern, and there are many laptops that can do full-blown 3D modeling/texturing on the go.

Battery life drops like a rock if the GPU is used on battery power, but if you've got AC power then you can find a laptop to do what you need to. Any modern GPU with good OpenGL support should work fine with most 3D modeling programs, throw a bunch of RAM in and you're good to go.
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi
well the HD 4650 can play crysis (low) and far cry 2 and such on high as well

also the 4650 is mxm II wich meens if in the future you can get your hands on a better compatible gpu (laptop gpu's sold seperatly are very expansive) you can just upgrade to a new mxm II card
1GB's equal of slower than 512MB? Lulwut.. They're amounts, not speeds.

Secondly, the 4650, is generally a DDR2 GPU, whereas the 4670 is GDDR3, the 4650's no where near it >.<...

But overall, it'll perform better...

But 512mb can do 1920x1080...
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.
not necissarily my DDR2 overclocked still manages to get the same 3D mark score as a regular DDR3

and the 4650 comes in DDR2, DDR3 and GDDR3 version
Quote:1GB's equal of slower than 512MB? Lulwut.. They're amounts, not speeds.

Because the bus on the card being only 128-bit, I know 1GB is "too much" to handle and is actually slower. Check the benchmarks =P I know they'r enot speeds, but they AFFECT speed.

Quote:I dont see how laptops can be used for gaming, emulating and 3d design with their little screen and much less power than stationary computers ( they have to be weaker or else they will burn ). Why dont you buy good stationary computer instead?

Well I don't use it for gaming (just a casual gamer and franctly I preffer consoles for gaming), I don't use it for emulating besides PCSX2 on my free time because I really like PS2 games (RPGs) and like to play them at high resolutions and w/ texture filtering. And you can use it for 3D designs (wich is a hobby anyways, I don't do that for a living) as long as you get a good CPU (3d rendering is CPU intensive, nothing to do about GPU so 4650 is more than enough for my needs)... aaand... the keyword is "mobility". I constantly take my laptop with me to many places. With the price I'm paying for my new Vaio FW (because I live in south america and have to pay taxes, freight costs, taxes again and the company that brings me the laptop, plus its custom so i can only buy it from sonystyle)... with that money if I wanted to play I could have an SLI-enabled machine and watercooling, OC and all that stuff.

I guess everyone has its particular needs =P

Anyways thanks for the answers!
SAGER NP8690 | i7-620M 2.66Ghz | 6GB RAM | ATI 5870M 1GB GDDR5 | FullHD 1080p 15.6'' | 500GB HDD 7200RPM | WINDOWS 7