Urgent help with PC
Hello all,

After coming home and attempting to use my desktop PC I found that it worked perfectly fine... Except when an unexpected power surge (most likely to do with all the snow we're getting). Had turned off my PC I restarted it, thinking it was a meager problem..

But no, it was not, my windows 8.1 had found itself stuck on a boot loop (showing semblances of the new BSOD) I tried using my copy of windows 7 so I could still be productive while I found a solution. But when the once and in a while chkdsk notice came up, I let it proceed, thinking that my disk will be able to be scanned to see whether or not that was a problem. Unfortunately it is saying something along the lines of a new package/software has conflicted with it trying to start up the chkdsk process. (I shall update this post with the exact details).
As my windows 7 hard disk was plugged into my PC at the time of the power surge, does that mean that it has been corrupted too? If so that is unfortunate news, as most of my documents are stored on that disk.

Any help would be welcome, and now I'm forced to use my phone to try to type a paper...
Specs: Intel Pentium P5 @ 60 Mhz, 1 Gigabyte HDD, OS: DOS

Sponsored links

this should be moved to Hardware and Software discussion
Quote:As my windows 7 hard disk was plugged into my PC at the time of the power surge, does that mean that it has been corrupted too?
that is quite a highly unlikely chance for the hard disk to get corrupted.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
Currently finding a windows 7 install disk, I'll install it on my OS drive and see if I can access my Windows 7 HDD

EDIT: My Windows 7 HDD was working fine on Sunday, if anyone was interested
Just download Ubuntu and burn it using another computer then boot from DVD. At least you will be able to copy any important files for now.
Just finished installing win 7, all my documents are still there, seems like the OS drive was the one that got corrupted.... Still, I wonder why that happened.

Anyway thanks for your suggestions and your time Smile
Normal magnetic disk based hard drive are stupid sensitive. I had one just gently tip on its side on a thick carprt with a soft *puff* sound, I just put it on its base again thinking nothing of it, just to discover that small hit completely broke the stupid thing. That's why I never install the OS an any non SSD hard drive anymore.

Just use "Recuva" to recover what you can from the corrupt drive:

https://www.piriform.com/recuva
The one that got corrupted was an SSD however.
So power surges corrupt SSDs? Now I hate them even more.

Does Recuva work with SSDs? Did it work for you?
Well, thank god nothing else went wrong.

Recuva is still in the initial scanner phrase.