Using Dev 1.5.0 Builds and Revisions
i just seperate the folders on seperate builds just look my screenshot
and then relocate the memory card,bios,inis folders.

don't tell me you dont know how to use file explorer??

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled build 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel

Sponsored links

(05-29-2019, 02:28 AM)lyingriotman Wrote: Aside from my lack of common sense, can someone explain how to use the dev revisions in portable mode? I heard it was pretty useful to play around with the settings without screwing up all your directories.

Portable mode means that all of the files needed to run and play on the emulator are contained inside that PCSX2 folder you've made by unpacking and copying your BIOS, memcards and cheats in. You can move it on your disc to different places, or even different PCs without loosing any settings or saves. No installation was required, right? To put it simple, changing settings in one emulator folder won't affect others if you have them.

You can download different 1.5 versions, unpack them to differently named folder, copy your BIOS, memcards and cheats again and use all versions interchangeably depending on which pcsx2.exe you double click. 

People find this useful if they want to check in which version particular game looked or run better and inform developers about that bug, regression. 

Also because still in a lot of cases different games may need different settings, especially in HW hacks, having the same 1.5 version of emulator in differently named folders may save you the hassle of changing settings every time you change a game you play. Although this can also be achieved by using a plugin/program which saves that different emulator settings. This PS2Lunch or this PCSX2 Profile Manager for example.

I don't swap games so much, so I just made a screenshot of my HW Hacks settings for different games, as not to forget which ones worked good, and change them manually each time I change a game I play.

A downside of using few different emulator versions is that you can forget which memcards had newest saves, or saves from what game are on which memory card. You can obviously check that by selecting "No disc" in CDVD and then "Boot BIOS" in System, but again a hassle.
There's a profile type program that let's you save settings per profile for each game so you don't need to use multiple instances of PCSX2. I don't know how it's called though.
Yes, as I said above.
This PS2Lunch or this PCSX2 Profile Manager for example.
I was about to add these links to post above, before you responded.
Sorry wasn't my intention to steal your limelight, but indeed since nobody said anything about this yet I thought I jump in Smile
(05-29-2019, 04:27 AM)Arethien Wrote: You can download different 1.5 versions, unpack them to differently named folder, copy your BIOS, memcards and cheats again and use all versions interchangeably depending on which pcsx2.exe you double click.

Yeah, my main problem was about the lack of a pcsx2.exe in the revisions. So after I copy over everything I could just use any pcsx2.exe and it would use only the files in the same folder?

I tried this earlier and when pcsx2 launched it was using the same files from 1.4.0 so I'm going to assume that you must manually change around the directories. How do you get it to load the program files for pcsx2 from the desired folder?
Tested it and the .exe will use the files from the folder, but the .exe of each version is unique to that version i.e. Putting the .exe from 1.5 into the 1.4 folder makes it draw from 1.4's plugins but the version data is displayed to be the same. I don't think this really affects anything, but I will say that putting an .exe into the unedited revision folder kinda makes it flip out because all the plugins are stored in a different manner (.cpp or .h, not the usual .dll). Not sure what I'm supposed to do there.

Quote:Although this can also be achieved by using a plugin/program which saves that different emulator settings. This PS2Lunch or this PCSX2 Profile Manager for example.

I do use a Frontend called Spectabis. The second half of this thread is just me trying to figure out a little more of the developer wizardry which just goes over my head.

smartstrike Wrote:
don't tell me you dont know how to use file explorer??

I can in fact, use file explorer. I'm simply clarifying on a number of points to make sure I understand what's happening.