Using pressure-sensitive buttons without a compatible controller
Some PS2 games make use of Dualshock's pressure-sensitive face buttons (triangle, circle, cross, square). At least two additional functions can be mapped to the same key in addition to the standard quick, light press (The Bouncer as an example). In Silent Hill 2 and 3 strong and light attacks are selected by pressing the action button accordingly.

The majority of users don't have a compatible controller (a PS2 or PS3 gamepad, Dualshock 4 doesn't have analogue face buttons). While remapping would be unfeasible in feature-heavy games such as the aforementioned Bouncer), mapping a single "strong-/medium-press" of a button to another key seems completely viable. Even double- or triple-tap of the same key may work optimally depending on the game (I assume it would in SH2 and SH3).

Is there any way to map pressure-sensitive actions to a standard gamepad?

Sponsored links

I think you can bind a button to two different keys in LilyPad, select one of the bindings in the list and change the sensitivity level: example

(I'm not sure if any of the games I have dumped actually use pressure sensitivity, so I haven't tested whether this works on face buttons)
Windows 10 Home 64-bit | Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.4GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Titanium 8GB
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3, 1866MHz @ 9-10-9-27 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo | Samsung S23A700D
Star Ocean 3 is one that uses it (Dragon Flute)
I'm fairly sure that racing games often uses analogue acceleration. The racing genre is in low demand with PCSX2 users as new titles tend to replace older ones and many seem to assume that the pressure-sensitive buttons are only used in a handful of games.
(02-09-2019, 09:58 AM)Dreadmoth Wrote: I think you can bind a button to two different keys in LilyPad, select one of the bindings in the list and change the sensitivity level: example

(I'm not sure if any of the games I have dumped actually use pressure sensitivity, so I haven't tested whether this works on face buttons)

I can't figure out how to remap buttons with a gamepad (I'm trying to remap the right bumper to X, 1.0 sensitivity).

[Image: v0k4zQN.png]

EDIT: You must select "back to controls".
I can't remap shoulder buttons in Lilypad — If I map R1 to A (Xbox One controller), A is changed to to R1 and "right shoulder" is unmodified: https://i.imgur.com/b2CYCgD.png
The closest I can get for this is create a binds file in PCSX2 for keyboard, but have 2 separate binds for the 4 face buttons. Half of them at 25% sensitivity and the other half at normal 100%. So YHNJ = triangle/square/cross/circle at 100% and IK<L for the 25% versions of them.

Then, in Joy2Key, set all the normal binds to your pad. For the 25% versions of your keys, create a button alias for holding down two buttons. Because the Bouncer doesn't use L2, you can set this as a sort of 'shift' key. Press the mid attack button on triangle and you do a weak jab as normal. Hold L2 while pressing mid attack does the strong jab version. So combos like weak low, weak low into strong low can be done by tapping X, X, L2+X and so on.

Bit of a faff, but DS4 pads literally don't have the hardware in them. You could probably do something similar for MGS3 or MGS2, I remember holding buttons down lightly just lined up the shot, firing the shot was down by adding more force. Using one of the buttons akin to this 'shift key' method, you can probably emulate something close enough to how ps2 pads worked.

[Image: hvrNwbk.jpg]
The most recent post in this thread is more than 8 months old. Please create a new thread and refrain from posting in threads older than 8 months in the future. Please also review the forum rules. Thank you.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go