VU cycle stealing a lot less effective in 0.9.8
I'm using the EXACT same config as i did in r3876 and the VU cycle stealing doesn't skip as much fps that it did in r3876. I could use the frame skipping but with the VU cycle stealing it was pretty straight forward. It skipped some fps when it needed to and didn't drop on not so demanding situations. With the 0.9.8 it doesn't drop as much and games for me have gone down about 10~20fps.

Sponsored links

stealing too many vu cycles is a bad thing anyway.
it can slow down emulation as a whole, or cause anomolies.
(05-03-2011, 12:12 PM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: stealing too many vu cycles is a bad thing anyway.
it can slow down emulation as a whole, or cause anomolies.

Of all 23 games i've tested only 3 slowed down from VU cycle stealing 3 others sped up by at least 30%. None were broken. I can't even get 40fps with tekken 5 compared to pretty much full speed on r3876
I don't notice a difference from my testing between the two versions... and not sure which games you play but every single game I have cycle steal on full either causes slow downs (Examples: Persona 3 fes/4, Gundam Generation of CE, FFXII, tales of the abyss, etc) or graphic glitches (.hack//gu, broken model skeletons, Dynasty Warriors Gundam, broken HUD). Not 100% of the time, but all of the games I've tested have had it at some point while playing them.

Actually I take that back, I do know 2 games I haven't had any problems with full VU cycle steal, Disgaea 1 and 2. Though I don't think I saw any great benefit to it either Wink
[Image: 2748844.png]
Well i play all my games with maximum VU cycle stealing. Games that suffered slowdowns for me are.
Tekken 5, Okami, Gow, Gow 2, MK Shaolin monks won't boot, tekken 4, All naruto ultimate ninja narutimate accel games, FFX, KH, KH2 and SoTC
EDIT: I mean slowdowns from 0.9.8 not maximum VU cycle stealing