Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria - Strange FPS drop at start of battles
Hey op and tsunami2311 question? How are you playing it not in software mode? According to the wiki it's basically unplayable otherwise. (black and purple vertical lines in forest areas, cutscenes severely distorted, map ghosting etc) or are toggling it in and out selectively?

Sponsored links

game is perfectly play in hw mode, short of the few issue i noted on the wiki, its the forest that has to be played in software mode. nor are the cut scene severally distorted, short of the zoom in and out issue that is solved by the nvidia hack,
8bit textures doesn't seem to help.

Something I should have mentioned earlier is that when I first boot up the game and load my save, there's almost no slowdown at all. I can browse the menus fine and the characters don't sound drunk at the beginning of the battle. But, after playing for like 5 minutes, the brief slowdowns at certain points start to creep in. Like it's getting worse.

My CPU and GPU temps are fine, so this seems to be something specific to VP2. My other PS2 games work great.
give the development builds a try and check whether you can reproduce the issue.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(03-15-2015, 02:39 AM)boy23 Wrote: 8bit textures doesn't seem to help.

Something I should have mentioned earlier is that when I first boot up the game and load my save, there's almost no slowdown at all. I can browse the menus fine and the characters don't sound drunk at the beginning of the battle. But, after playing for like 5 minutes, the brief slowdowns at certain points start to creep in. Like it's getting worse.

My CPU and GPU temps are fine, so this seems to be something specific to VP2. My other PS2 games work great.
was not refering to cpu gpu temps i was ask if there be clocked back do adaptive power setting for gpu or if cpu has speedstep enable which can also cause down clocking.

Long ago i made nvidia profile for pcsx2 set to max performance for power and turned off speedstep bios cause the 2 function dont work correctly atlest they never did cause i always had 1 of the 2 down clocking at random when the emulator was running a game
yeah, it's also wise to disable Intel speed step. Dynamical adjustment of clockspeed wastes unneccesary amount of time and causes lag while, playing games. you can disable this setting by entering the BIOS.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
Thanks guys. I'll look into disabling speedstep and setting up a nVidia profile for PCSX2 tomorrow.

(03-15-2015, 02:31 AM)tsunami2311 Wrote: you have lesser pc then me and on my end on 3x i pretty much have 60fps 99% time, unless u have speedstep enabled and the cpu clock is drop in such isntance, or your gpu clock is droping in said isntances.

in which case turn off speedstep and make sure there profile for pcsx2 that is set to max performance and not adaptive.

All though that slow down at begin of the fight is normal it probably same issue that cause fps drops in FFX upon cutscene/2d/3d transitions. which i think was pcsx2 core issue with the EE/VU or somthing not being able to process stuff fast enough.

When you say normal, is this a common problem when emulating this game? Like an unfixed bug? I don't want to disable speedstep only for the slowdown to still be there.
normal it is it happens for same reason there slow down with FFX 2d/3d/cutscene transitions, it not bug more limitation of EE/VU from my understanding Blyss Sarania made the original top about that and understood it more, from my understand the concession was it limitation of sorts in the some where in the ee/vu. IMO as that has always been there

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-FFX-minor...ne-changes

Which i think is same cause to the slow down at begin battles,

As for the slow down happen 5 minutes in on menus i can say i have them, I been running Swtor and pcsx2 with this game running for last half hour and only slow down i seeing is from the intial battle load drop and random slow down here and there when things get chaotic.

So i included to think something is throttling or something not set up right on your side. you should have next to no slow down anywhere except in the initial battle loading.

DX11 HW
x3
Texture filtering = checked
AFx8
enabled hw hacks with nvidia hack.
FX shader enabled with below options enabled

Code:
/#[ANTIALIASING TECHNIQUES]   [1=ON|0=OFF]  #READ: For best results: Use gsdx fx antialiasing OR filtering. Not both together.
#define UHQ_FXAA                    1      //# High Quality Fast Approximate Anti Aliasing. If GSdx's internal FXAA is also enabled, this equals FXAA2x.[3D]

//#[FS SCALING TECHNIQUES]    [1=ON|0=OFF]  #READ: For best results: Only enable one type of filtering at one time. Use post antialiasing OR FS filtering, not both.
#define BILINEAR_FILTERING          0     //# Bilinear Fullscreen Texture Filtering. BiLinear filtering - light to medium filtering of textures.[2D]
#define BICUBIC_FILTERING           0     //# Bicubic Fullscreen Texture Filtering. BiCubic filtering - medium to strong filtering of textures.[2D]
#define GAUSSIAN_FILTERING          0     //# Gaussian Fullscreen Texture Filtering. Gaussian filtering - strong to extra strong filtering of textures.[2D]
#define BICUBLIC_SCALER             0     //# Bicubic Interpolation Scaling. Uses BCS on up scaling, and downsampling of games, for smoother scaling.
#define LANCZOS_SCALER              0     //# Lanczos Interpolation Scaling. Uses Lanczos on up scaling, and downsampling of games for smoother scaling.

//#[LIGHTING & COLOUR]         [1=ON|0=OFF]  #READ: These can all be turned on & off independently of each other. [For High Dynamic Range(HDR) use Bloom & Tonemapping together]
#define BLENDED_BLOOM               1      //# High Quality SP Bloom. Soft lighting with blending techniques, for a natural looking bloom.
#define SCENE_TONEMAPPING           1      //# HDR Scene Tonemapping. Layered component conversion, and applies scene tone mapping.
#define COLOR_CORRECTION            0      //# Component Color Correction. Colorspace conversion, with correction curves, and multiple palette types.
#define CROSS_PROCESSING            0      //# Filmic Cross Processing. Alters the tone of the scene, crossing the game's color set, with another.
#define GAMMA_CORRECTION            1      //# RGB Gamma Correction. Fixed expansion to variable compression gamma correction curve.
#define PIXEL_VIBRANCE              1      //# Pixel Vibrance. Intelligently adjusts pixel vibrance depending on original color saturation.
#define COLOR_GRADING               0      //# Post-Complement Colour Grading. Alters individual colour components on a scene, to enhance selected colour tones.
#define TEXTURE_SHARPEN             1      //# Bicubic Texture Unsharpen Mask. Looks similar to a negative texture LOD bias. Enhances texture fidelity.
#define CURVE_CONTRAST              1      //# S-Curve Scene Contrast Enhancement. Locally adjusts contrast using a four-point cubic bezier spline.
#define CEL_SHADING                 0      //# PX Cel Shading. Simulates the look of animation/toon. Typically best suited for animated style games.
#define PAINT_SHADING               0      //# Paint Shading. Creates the effect of a painted scene. Adapted from ENB series, it's pretty performance heavy.

//#[TV EMU TECHNIQUES]         [1=ON|0=OFF]  #READ: These can all be turned on & off independently of each other. These effects are typically used to simulated older TVs/CRT etc.
#define SCANLINES                   0     //# Scanlines to simulate the look of a CRT TV. Typically suited to sprite games. Note: Works best at Native Res.
#define VIGNETTE                    0     //# Darkens the edges of the screen, to make it look more like it was shot with a camera lens.
#define SP_DITHERING                1     //# Subpixel Dithering to simulate more colors than your monitor can display. Smoothes gradiants, this can reduce color banding.
#define PX_BORDER                   1     //# Creates a pixel border, as a workaround for the bright edge that using hardware antialiasing(MSAA) can cause. (Ported by request from SFX).

MTVU hack is enabled too, as i find it help speed up the game on my end it should do the same for you.

it very easy to see if something is being throttled, run Afterburner with RTSS running and see if the gpu is be clock back at random in the game as for the cpu Aida64 will work to see if random clock back in forth in the game.

Out side of something clocking back you should not be seeing any slow down on menus. on my pc the current git build and last stable release both run identical speed wise.