Vibration Types

I couldn't find any discussion of this in a search, so let's make one here.

In Force Feedback Effect, there are lots of options for Big Motor and Small Motor that aren't intuitively understandable. What do you use and what do they mean?

Constant
Ramp Force
Square Wave
Sine Wave
Triangle Wave
Sawtooth Up Wave
Sawtooth Down Wave

There are also boxes and sliders for axis that I am testing and sometimes they do nothing, sometimes they make a change. Curious. From what I gather, Axis 1 is the left side and Axis 2 is the right rumbler. Sometimes the sliders don't take effect and I need to check and uncheck the box to make it pay attention again.

Is there any reason to do more than one entry for big and small motors?
Thanks to everyone who works on PCSX2 and its components. It's awesome to play on PC and it just keeps getting better!

Sponsored links

Constant and Ramp are the settings most likely to work.

The lilypad plugin has been written using Hackish logitech drivers for testing so even if your controller supports the other modes the plugin might fail to use them (even if FEDIT tests show the modes work). I reported this fact ages ago, but the Dev was too sure of himself and disregarded the issue as driver related (whilst 3 other emulators had no problems and FEDIT itself verified the modes working fine.

The Dev uses EnumEffects, which has numerous unavoidable issues.
Given Harakiri pad, FEDIT and Dolphin x86 can do Sine, Square and the 2 triangle modes, the issue is in lilypad and not the drivers.

This is what happens when you write a plugin around a crap logitech driver.
the square is a sudden, hard chock, as a car hitting the step from the sidewalk, it's easy to imagine how it works analyzing the wave "atack", in a square it is abrupt and hits the top instantly.

the ramp is softer but still felt a bit harsh while the sinus is the softer, like a calm waving.

The same applies to the "decay" phase... in a square is like a car suddenly lifted hits the ground in free fall.
Imagination is where we are truly real
There is no difference...I set the parameters so all modes give a constant force. They're only there because some crappy drivers for PS2 controller adapters use a different effect for different motors.
So should it be configured for each type of vibration? or just one small motor and one big motor with Constant set for each?
Thanks to everyone who works on PCSX2 and its components. It's awesome to play on PC and it just keeps getting better!
If the "crappy" drivers work or not is another problem which does not tell what to expect of each type of envelope.

Set to constant? well, it's so "informative" as no vibration at all, must be good to simulate driving on a bumpy road all the time.

In a car race I should expect the game being responsible to deliver a degree like attack when colliding frontally (hard and sudden, the kind which could pluck off the pad from the unadvised player hands) ... possibly a sawtooth wave when bumping on the "zebra" on the sides of the speedway... a humming sinusoidal wave to signalize a soft machine vibration... and so on.

but constant... it would feel to me as plain boring and annoying in no time.

PS: The bigger motor should emulate those harder, slower waves (or just to provide the "envelope"), while the smaller one is good for small amplitude, higher frequencies waves. A really good vibration gamepad would provide proper energy source instead relying only on the USB power rail.
Imagination is where we are truly real
I figured Constant because ChickenLiver said they all use constant force. Is that right?
(05-06-2011, 10:27 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: If the "crappy" drivers work or not is another problem which does not tell what to expect of each type of envelope.

Set to constant? well, it's so "informative" as no vibration at all, must be good to simulate driving on a bumpy road all the time.

In a car race I should expect the game being responsible to deliver a degree like attack when colliding frontally (hard and sudden, the kind which could pluck off the pad from the unadvised player hands) ... possibly a sawtooth wave when bumping on the "zebra" on the sides of the speedway... a humming sinusoidal wave to signalize a soft machine vibration... and so on.

but constant... it would feel to me as plain boring and annoying in no time.

PS: The bigger motor should emulate those harder, slower waves (or just to provide the "envelope"), while the smaller one is good for small amplitude, higher frequencies waves. A really good vibration gamepad would provide proper energy source instead relying only on the USB power rail.

indeed, which is mentioned here http://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/issues/detail?id=1017

just because some buggy control drivers don't provide proper rumble directionals, doesn't mean the proper rumble emulation should be skimped on. Constant effects is always both motors no matter what, so you're missing out on alot of the wave effects.

it wouldn't be so bad if this was a GC emulator since it only has 1 constant force motor thats either on or off.

i also have to say, that the majority of PS2 adapters do the periodic rumble types just fine as far as fedit is concerned, the problem if any with many of them would be again the use of EnumEffects, which does have alot of problems with most drivers.
I'm using a Logitech Rumblepad. Dunno if that is more compatible with the plugin since it's based on Logitech drivers.

So should I make a new line for each type of vibration under big and small? It seems like they all default at the same settings, so maybe I should increase all of the big motor ones to the top half of the range, and small motor to bottom half?