[Video] Fatal Frame 2 tested on PCSX2 0.9.8
Well, today I tested the latest version (0.9.8) of PCSX2 on my personal favorite game - Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly.

The results I got are somewhat a mixed bag. I'm testing it on my laptop, which while it's not really anything super-powered like the PCs most people have, it still manages to get some nice results, but some of them don't make much sense.

Here's a video I recorded (25 minutes, using Fraps to make sure the FPS doesn't get affected much):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwSXVzdM85o
(I assume embedded videos are not allowed, that's why I post a normal link)

As you can see on the video, the game runs nicely with no real graphical issues. The FPS counter kept showing between 35fps and 59fps, depending on where I was.

The hardware used for this test is:
Processor: Intel Dual Core T4300 (2.1gHz, 2 physical cores, 1 thread per core)
RAM: 4GB DDR3
VGA: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 (512MB DDR3 with DirectX 10.1 support)
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit) Service Pack 1 (updated up to 27/07/2011)

PCSX2 settings used:
Speed hacks enabled (EE Cyclerate = 1, VU Cycle Stealing = 3, Enable INTC Spin Detection, Enable Wait Loop Detection, mVU Flag Hack, mVU Block Hack)

GS plugin settings:
GSdx 4600 plugin used
Renderer: Direct3D9 (Hardware)
Interlacing: None
Original PS2 Resolution = enabled
Allow 8-bit Textures = disabled
Alpha Correction (FBA) = enabled

...what I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like this or not is the slowness of the game even at 35fps...I'm not very familiar with the PS2 standards for smooth gameplay, but in PS1 and PC, 30fps is considered smooth, but here it seems pretty slow...did I miss a setting (other than the above mentioned, all others are the built-in ones)?

Please share any thoughts or advices for configuration (if you have any). ^_^
[Image: fluttershy_userbar.png]

Sponsored links

(07-27-2011, 08:58 PM)CrisR82 Wrote: ...what I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like this or not is the slowness of the game even at 35fps...I'm not very familiar with the PS2 standards for smooth gameplay, but in PS1 and PC, 30fps is considered smooth, but here it seems pretty slow...did I miss a setting (other than the above mentioned, all others are the built-in ones)?

PC games are made to run on a wide variety of hardware, so they run in such a way that the gameplay is separate from the rendering speed. While a game running at 20fps and 60fps on a PC may look different, there won't be much of any slowdown.

PS2 games on the other hand were designed expressly for the one hardware configuration of the PS2, and so if it can't keep up you'll get a slowdown in both gameplay and framerate.

^ That's a bit of a simplification, but the basic idea is right.
(07-27-2011, 09:08 PM)natt Wrote: PC games are made to run on a wide variety of hardware, so they run in such a way that the gameplay is separate from the rendering speed. While a game running at 20fps and 60fps on a PC may look different, there won't be much of any slowdown.

PS2 games on the other hand were designed expressly for the one hardware configuration of the PS2, and so if it can't keep up you'll get a slowdown in both gameplay and framerate.

^ That's a bit of a simplification, but the basic idea is right.

Yeah, thought so...maybe the frame skip option could help "speed it up" (well, more like make it a bit choppy, but faster)?
Wait, how did you upload a video that is 25 mins when the youtube limit is 15mins? 0_o
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(07-27-2011, 09:15 PM)Bositman Wrote: Wait, how did you upload a video that is 25 mins when the youtube limit is 15mins? 0_o

Youtube's been jacking up the numbers recently. Even my account had its limit upped, and all my videos are horrible.

(07-27-2011, 09:10 PM)CrisR82 Wrote: Yeah, thought so...maybe the frame skip option could help "speed it up" (well, more like make it a bit choppy, but faster)?

Go ahead and give it a try. It can cause major issues though, which is why it's a speedhack.
(07-27-2011, 09:21 PM)natt Wrote: Youtube's been jacking up the numbers recently. Even my account had its limit upped, and all my videos are horrible.

Go ahead and give it a try. It can cause major issues though, which is why it's a speedhack.

After some additional trying I used the presets on level 3 which seem to show the best results...guess that's the best I can get (40-59fps).

And yeah, the limit on my YouTube account was removed, but no idea why. o.o