Vista tuning
Well, I think Vista uses to much system resources and never quiet down really. (one Core is always @7%-40%) dunno why.

Any Idea how I could tweak my vista that the CPU has nothing (ore even less to do? also, in IDLE i have 1 gig of ram used. I think it's normal though. But maybe there are improvements?

Well, the cpu usage I mentioned is at idle.

I disabled things like index service, for faster search etc. but maybe someone has also an idea?

I hope to speed up my emulation a little bit.

Thank you for responding.
| i7 860 2.8@4ghz | Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.B | Asus Maximus Formula III | G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Gigabyte | 570 GTX AMP! | Enermax 720w PSU | X-Fi Titan | OCZ Vertex 120 GB |

Sponsored links

I think this goes in the off-topic section of the forums.

First of all you should try to determine which programs use your CPU. Bring up the Task Manager ( CONTROL+SHIFT+ESC ) and find out which process uses the most CPU. If it is a svhost right-click and bring up the associated services ( Go To Services ).
Reading the OFFICAL GUIDE can answer 90% of your newbie questions
SEARCHING the forums can answer 90% of your advanced questions.
1 GB RAM use is your default?! That's not very normal. What you may try is closing all background programs using Ctrl+Shift+Esc, then closing the processes you don't need. BE CAREFUL and don't close anything unless you know what it is (i.e. don't go around closing important Windows stuff like the dwm.exe). If you have for example something like Steam, Photoshop, BitTorrent etc. running in the background those are the kind of things to close. I have Vista and my default memory usage is approx. 400MB. So close all unneeded background programs and see what happens. Also, it would be a good idea to post your specs here.

Edit: Nevermind, your specs are in your profile. Those are good enough that you should be seeing some nice speeds.
///Intel Q6600 @ 3.4GHz OC'd ~Xigmatek HDT-S1283 HS/F~Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS 256 MB~Corsair 2x1GB 1066 DDR2RAM~Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit\\\
you could try this tool:
http://dl.qj.net/Mz-Vista-Force-2.0-Soft.../catid/589

I use it myself, and get great performance. (it's somewhat technical though)
(02-21-2009, 08:52 PM)With Teeth Wrote: 1 GB RAM use is your default?! That's not very normal.

That's not true. The more memory is available the more some system service allocate. With my 8GB it is usually 1,5GB - 2GB. This does not make the PC slower, instead faster and more responsive ( pre-fetching etc )
Reading the OFFICAL GUIDE can answer 90% of your newbie questions
SEARCHING the forums can answer 90% of your advanced questions.
Oh, yea wrong section. If a mod could care and bring it to OT? Thanks.

Well, im not a noob with pc's but i have no idea what my problem is. I have disabled process which used too much RAM. Background programmes are also disabled (just the one I need are enabled).

The first thing I did was checking the Task-Manager ofc. svchost.exe uses 60.856 k RAM well, but this are Services which are needed. Well even if i would calculate the ram used in the processes I'd never came to 1.08 Gigabyte! Noway

(Things like Creative processes are enabled since I need them for gaming and such stuff(the console etc) well but even then it would never use that much ram).

Here a screenshot

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

| i7 860 2.8@4ghz | Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.B | Asus Maximus Formula III | G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Gigabyte | 570 GTX AMP! | Enermax 720w PSU | X-Fi Titan | OCZ Vertex 120 GB |
and what processes are those?

other than that it seems somewhat normal..
Well, ICQ.exe should be clear.

Utorrent - my bittorrent client
audiodg - something von Vista for audio, dunno
VolPanlu - My Sound Panel
CTAudSVC - Creative Sound Service
SLsv - Windows software license service (dunno how to stop that it start everytime and everytime I have to kill it new)
aaCenter - from Asus a tool, could stop it though
-
Well, yea i consider it as normal but i don't like the CPU usage of always 8%-40 or even 60% on one core, even in idle! Memory is np, as I have 4 gig (3.5 to use).
(02-21-2009, 09:36 PM)yunsabit Wrote: Well, ICQ.exe should be clear.

Utorrent - my bittorrent client
audiodg - something von Vista for audio, dunno
VolPanlu - My Sound Panel
CTAudSVC - Creative Sound Service
SLsv - Windows software license service (dunno how to stop that it start everytime and everytime I have to kill it new)
aaCenter - from Asus a tool, could stop it though
-
Well, yea i consider it as normal but i don't like the CPU usage of always 8%-40 or even 60% on one core, even in idle! Memory is np, as I have 4 gig (3.5 to use).
I was refering to the ones that are the same name in the description. (and yes, ICQ and utorrent are obvious, I use utorrent as well)

I attached a picture of mine so you can compare

(2.2 dual core, 4gb ram if it maters: Nvidia 8400GS)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Huh, VeeaC, thanks, I didn't know that it was that big of a difference. I only have 2GB so I guess that would explain it.
///Intel Q6600 @ 3.4GHz OC'd ~Xigmatek HDT-S1283 HS/F~Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS 256 MB~Corsair 2x1GB 1066 DDR2RAM~Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit\\\