Vsync/screen tearing?
Hello all. I tell myself that I wouldn't use PCSX2 until my PS2 breaks due to the tedium of configuring and also my own perfectionist attitude which is stress inducing, to say the least, yet I always end up coming back. Maybe I'm a masochist. Wacko

Anyways, to my question: Is vsync enabled for 0.9.7 at this time or does any of the new gdsx plugin bring this option back? I vaguely remember asking this before but couldn't find that particular thread here so I might be just imagining it. I have the "wait for vsync on refresh" option ticked. If it isn't what is the next best alternative? I'm trying to play Ar Tonelico but the tearing is driving me nuts!
Windows 7 Professional x64
C2D E8500 @4.0ghz
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
EVGA GTX 460 768mb
OCZ DDR2 4 gb 1066 ram
Antec Earthwatts 500w PSU

Sponsored links

"Wait for vsync on refresh" is what you should need, does it not work correctly?
If you have Aero enabled in Windows 7 you shouldn't need v-sync at all as it has an automatic v-sync of sorts too.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Is screen tearing really that much of an issue? o.O
Never found a huge problem with it myself, even with 60Hz Refresh back on my 28 inch cheap Viewsonic VX2835wm LCD monitor.
Ivy Bridge 3770K @ 3.9GHz - MSI TwinFrozr GTX680 4GB...
...Nerpyderp.
(04-10-2011, 12:13 PM)NoVaX1000 Wrote: Is screen tearing really that much of an issue? o.O
Never found a huge problem with it myself, even with 60Hz Refresh back on my 28 inch cheap Viewsonic VX2835wm LCD monitor.
I'm not trying to be mean here, but that depends on how much you care for image quality.
I buyed Vanquish for the PS3, instead for the XBOX360, because the PS3 version has V-sync all the time and the XBOX has not. Even though I prefer the XBOX Controller. Thats how much I care for V-Sync.

It depends on the person.
Core i5 760 @ 4,0GHz DDR3 1600MHz 6-8-6-24-32 GTX480AMP @ Stock Thermaltake Level 10
One of the main reasons I upgrade my Computer is for more Image Quality, and of course, more performance.

So I do care for Image Quality, it's just that Vsync isn't really on my must-have list xD

Yeah I realize most (nearly all perhaps) games for consoles have Vsync enabled ;P

I think if I'm going to have Vsync on, I'd need to have at least 200 FPS just about anywhere in a certain game (ok, probably doesn't have to be that much FPS lol).
In-Game Texture Quality comes before that for me.
Ivy Bridge 3770K @ 3.9GHz - MSI TwinFrozr GTX680 4GB...
...Nerpyderp.
Why would you need it to be more FPS than your monitor supports? Having high frames beyond your monitor's refresh rate is called wasted rendering... You're actually putting more strain on your hardware without getting any visible gains.

The only time you should ever be worried about the amount of lost frames from vsync is if you're using very low end hardware (where you're getting only 15-20fps on a game) as the loss of 2-3 fps from V-sync will be game disturbingly noticeable...
[Image: 2748844.png]
(04-10-2011, 06:49 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: "Wait for vsync on refresh" is what you should need, does it not work correctly?
If you have Aero enabled in Windows 7 you shouldn't need v-sync at all as it has an automatic v-sync of sorts too.

Okay, ninja edit time! No tearing in Aero! I find it strange that the vsync option in the emulator or capping the FPS to 60 both cause tearing, though. Vsync option makes the tearing appear on the upper part of the screen while capping the fps makes it tear on the bottom. Odd.

Anyways, thanks as always, Shadow Lady.

(04-10-2011, 12:13 PM)NoVaX1000 Wrote: Is screen tearing really that much of an issue? o.O

It definitely is especially if it happens often enough, at least for me. An experience I would relate it to was when my friend pointed out a small slither of cut in the center of the theater screen when we were watching Wall-E. No one had noticed until he pointed it out and you can bet that all our eyes naturally kept on going back to the cut. It wasn't worth complaining to the management about but something I definitely could've done without.

It's all personal preference; "good image quality" is very subjective, differing from person to person. As for me, I don't want anything that breaks immersion, as in, I don't want to see apparent problems that pop in and out. This is because if I see a clear problem, my OCDness will drive me to fix the problem, which ends up eating away what was supposed to be my gameplay time. Now, having a lower image quality isn't a "problem" for me because it's constant and doesn't distract me in the middle of my game.
Windows 7 Professional x64
C2D E8500 @4.0ghz
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
EVGA GTX 460 768mb
OCZ DDR2 4 gb 1066 ram
Antec Earthwatts 500w PSU
(04-10-2011, 06:49 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: If you have Aero enabled in Windows 7 you shouldn't need v-sync at all as it has an automatic v-sync of sorts too.

GSDX uses windowed mode fullscreen of sorts, so the vsync options in the emulator don't work too well with it, this is why Aero applies vsync.
Using the right tools you'll see the screenmode is not locked with gsdx (Vsync requires locking the backbuffer), this is afaik by design. Typically the application itself will reinit the screenmode when switching to locked which incurs the usual monitor flicker, PCSX2 jumps right from windowed to fullscreen without doing this when using modern versions of GSDX. A long long time ago (and on windows XP) it might still require locking display.

the setting should work on ZeroGS since aero and opengl barely tolerate each other.

Vsync works fine in XP with PCSX2/GSdx as far as I know, only some driver and card combinations make it not work as it should in 7/Vista combined with wxgui PCSX2, and it's actually working but what you get in those cases is a single tearing line that stays mostly in the same place instead of multiple tearing lines as usual Tongue2.

ZeroGS that comes with PCSX2 is DX9 unless you mean ZZOgl or that outdated zerogs ogl plugin.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Tongue i've been out of the loop, ZeroGS is D3D now? alright i'll keep that in mind.