Waiting for Gabest's revival (DX 12 Support)
(01-25-2015, 07:02 AM)dogen Wrote: That's not entirely true, but whatever. The point is, you won't see any reduced api overhead if you're not using an api. Software rendering is essentially done entirely by the cpu.

Are you saying DX10 Software mode is the same as DX9 Software mode ?

Lol Tongue

Beside it is true. the API communicates directly with the GPU

in DX 10

Hardware mode

Program => API => CPU => GPU => rendering

in Software mode

Program => API => CPU => CPU => Rendering (as in 2 commands are being executed by the CPU which is why the slowdown is huge)

in DX12 / Mantle in SW/HW mode

Program => API => GPU/CPU (up to double performance based on situation)

Sponsored links

(01-25-2015, 07:10 AM)Serial Hacker Wrote: Are you saying DX10 Software mode is the same as DX9 Software mode ?

I don't know what the difference is. How much does GSdx actually use direct3d when it's running in software mode. My guess is not much.
Dx 12 might be good on SW mode since, it reduces the overhead of CPU and uses it efficiently in pc gaming as demonstrated by MS.but, we have to wait a little bit to know how it fares on emulation.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(01-25-2015, 06:49 AM)Nobbs66 Wrote: How is it amazing for software rendering? Software rendering is all CPU based

Software renderer uses Direct3D which uses CPU time.

(01-25-2015, 03:05 AM)dogen Wrote: I doubt it. I don't think driver and api overhead affects pcsx2 very much. The bottleneck is executing instructions translated from mips and vector unit code. I don't see how a new graphics api will help that very much.

I think you don't understand the point of DirectX 12. It reduces the CPU's workload so the CPU will have more power to execute other instructions. The main goal of this API isn't to increase the graphics performance but to decrease the CPU's workload. When you use DirectX API, not only the GPU is used but the CPU is used as well. You can read Mantle/DirectX 12 benchmarks.

(01-25-2015, 07:25 AM)dogen Wrote: I don't know what the difference is. How much does GSdx actually use direct3d when it's running in software mode. My guess is not much.

Obviously the difference is the version of the API it uses. Why do you think it doesn't use Direct3D much? If it doesn't use Direct3D, what API does it use? It's a Direct3D software renderer, not just a software renderer.
If DX12 does the same things as DX10/11 did, only at reduced CPU costs, then it would help PCSX2 speed, probably a good deal even.
(01-25-2015, 06:14 PM)xemnas99 Wrote: Why do you think it doesn't use Direct3D much? If it doesn't use Direct3D, what API does it use? It's a Direct3D software renderer, not just a software renderer.

Don't know. I've just never seen or read anything indicating that direct3d could be(or at least ever is) used for anything other than accelerated graphics.

(01-25-2015, 06:42 PM)rama Wrote: If DX12 does the same things as DX10/11 did, only at reduced CPU costs, then it would help PCSX2 speed, probably a good deal even.

Ok, never mind then.
(01-25-2015, 07:30 PM)dogen Wrote: I've just never seen or read anything indicating that direct3d could be(or at least ever is) used for anything other than accelerated graphics.

Just in case you're interested: Windows Advanced Rasterization Platform (WARP) Guide.
(01-25-2015, 11:14 PM)xemnas99 Wrote: Just in case you're interested: Windows Advanced Rasterization Platform (WARP) Guide.

I learned about that this morning actually, but that's not really what I thought you meant. I understand having a reference software rasterizer made by microsoft, but does it use direct3d like a gpu does? Will it see any benefit from direct3d 12?

Either way, pcsx2 doesn't use warp. According to gabest it's nothing like direct3d, but it's hard to tell what he exactly means by that.
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-GSdx?page=2
WARP is just a software rasterizer. You don't need to use it. You can build your own software rasterizer. The point is you can use Direct3D without the GPU.

Quote:WARP allows you to access all Direct3D 10 and later graphics features even on computers without Direct3D 10 and later graphics hardware.
(01-26-2015, 01:08 AM)xemnas99 Wrote: WARP is just a software rasterizer. You don't need to use it. You can build your own software rasterizer. The point is you can use Direct3D without the GPU.

Warp emulates d3d10, so I don't think it's really the same. But, anyway, all I was saying is I don't think the new features that reduce overhead will apply to GSdx software mode. I'm only making a (slightly) educated guess, so I could be wrong.