Want to optimize FFXII video quality
Hey, I was wondering if somebody could help me figure out how to optimize pcsx2 0.9.7 (r3113) for ffxii. I have been getting 35-38 fps (dipping even lower for cutscenes) while playing it; it is very hard to play. During cutscenes, everything slows down a bit when people are talking. I had everything configured the way it is in the configuration guide but ffxii would not load up so I had to go into video settings and set it to Native. I have a feeling there is some sort of tweak that I am missing.. or could it be due to the processor? Do I need a stronger processor (specs are bottom of post)??

Here is how it looks at the moment:
[Image: ffxii.jpg]

Here is the video options:
[Image: 10932810.jpg]
on GSDX 3068 (MSVC 15.00, SSSE3 0.1.16 [gsdx-ssse3-r3068]. I am forced to use Native. Game crashes otherwise.

Here is the pic that has all of the plugins I am using at the moment:
[Image: plugins.jpg]

PC specs:
Intel Pentium E2200 2.2ghz
8800GT 512mb
G Skill F2-8000CL5-2GBPQ, 4 GB DDR2-800 DDR2
Windows XP SP3

Need any other info? Let me know. Thanks!

Sponsored links

Your processor sucks. Try enabling speed hacks.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.0GHz
MOB: ECS A780GM-A
GPU: XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB
RAM: 4GB Dual-Channel DDR2 400MHz
(08-20-2010, 01:58 AM)DarkFang Wrote: Your processor sucks. Try enabling speed hacks.

Which speed hacks should I enable?
EE Cyclerate to 3
Enable INTC Spin Detection
Enable Wait Loop Detection
Enable IOP x2 cycle rate hack
Enable mVU Flag Hack
(08-20-2010, 02:20 AM)DarkFang Wrote: EE Cyclerate to 3
Enable INTC Spin Detection
Enable Wait Loop Detection
Enable IOP x2 cycle rate hack
Enable mVU Flag Hack

Wouldn't all of those tweaks make the graphics much worse than it already is? So there is no way to tweak pcsx2 to get better quality with my current processor?
Do you want better graphics or do you want to play the game more smoothly?
wew @darkfang.. you are being rash to him... dude.. try overclocking ur cpu a little bit further... if u need info on overclocking visit this website..

dont listen to him to much... although speed hack may work.. may not... its a choice but overclocking.. really work.. so if ur getting a 35-38 fps.. try overclocking it to 3.0ghz Laugh

forums.extremeoverclocking.com
You should overclock your processor until like 2.8 Ghz or maybe 3Ghz in order to reach full speed Smile
PC:
EVGA 600 +80 PSU
NVIDIA GTX 550ti EVGA 2GB VRAM
[Image: hj0zqy-4.png]
overclock is the solution my bro Laugh
(08-20-2010, 03:20 AM)darkvirus Wrote: wew @darkfang.. you are being rash to him... dude.. try overclocking ur cpu a little bit further... if u need info on overclocking visit this website..

dont listen to him to much... although speed hack may work.. may not... its a choice but overclocking.. really work.. so if ur getting a 35-38 fps.. try overclocking it to 3.0ghz Laugh

forums.extremeoverclocking.com

I will bring it up to 2.4ghz. This processor runs stable up to around 2.5ghz; becomes unstable after that. If I had better HSF, it may be possible to push it a bit more. Only issue is that temps rise to approx 60+ celcius once I reach 2.5ghz with little instability so 2.4ghz is probably the safest bet if I don't want temps past 60. I will see how 2.4ghz goes. Dunno how many frames I will gain with extra 200mhz. Can't afford to buy a new processor at the moment.

btw - any other graphics plugin worth trying? Not sure why the game crashes before it even loads if I take off Native PS2 resolution. I played Yakuza 2 fine without having to use Native PS2 resolution for that game. Graphics looked fine with Yakuza 2, and it was much more playable. I used to get like 50-55 fps with Yakuza 2 in most areas with a few exceptions. Yakuza 2 was with an older version of pcsx2 (0.9.6) so I don't know. Maybe FFXII just requires more cpu power than Yakuza 2..