We are abandoning VM
For example the Digital Devil Saga games.
Reading the OFFICAL GUIDE can answer 90% of your newbie questions
SEARCHING the forums can answer 90% of your advanced questions.

Sponsored links

Well, my only "concerns" is about the few games that vtlb cannot emulate, but vm can.
But we can use rev 563 for these games, and overall I'm happy that the vm build is finally dropped.
So long!! Laugh
(01-28-2009, 01:04 PM)Krakatos Wrote: - vtlb still can't play a very few games that the vm could. Note we're talking of very few games, we are aware of about 10 at the moment.
You might like to list them.

(01-28-2009, 01:44 PM)grimlord Wrote: If vtlb does not surpass vm version by speed, really soon, I will be really disappointed. :/
??? I avoided VM. Crashing every now and often isn't enjoyable.
(01-28-2009, 06:36 PM)Raghar Wrote:
(01-28-2009, 01:44 PM)grimlord Wrote: If vtlb does not surpass vm version by speed, really soon, I will be really disappointed. :/
??? I avoided VM. Crashing every now and often isn't enjoyable.
It was faster for me, and it almost never crashed. But that's me... Maybe we're from different planets. Smile I woudn't be sad without the reason. But I believe vtlb will surpass it in many ways. I mean, devs like,... promised. lol
currently vtlb is lacking some optimizations that VM build has, and Jake also found some other cool ways to speed it up.
so in the future, vtlb will probably be as-fast or faster than VM builds, more compitible, and less hacky.

and since current VM has some bugs that we dont' know the cause of, nows the best time to drop it, since its not fully working anyways.
Currently playing Tales of Destiny 2 with the latest VM build and getting 60 fps nearly 95% of the time, though in the latest vtlb build there is still a big speed drop and the game's very choppy... so I will switch once this is not the case Tongue
I have some big speedups in the queue for the VTLB build, but the optimizations are completely incompatible and unrelated to the VM's memory model. So I'd have to maintain two branches of a couple files to continue supporting VM (which I still can't figure out how to fix due to it being such a bear to debug). My current WIP codebase on my hard drive has VTLB running faster than VM by a nice margin on most games -- and still have several optimizations I can implement.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
"eventually surpass vm in speed quite soon"
That is all I wanted to see when I saw that VM was officially going to be dropped.
Now maybe you guys could work on quad cpu support?
[Image: 1283060.png]
They've just dropped VM build in rev 650.
I copy/past the changelog (adding bold to highlight interesting parts):

Quote:Made some significant optimizations to VTLB. Between this and the last couple revision opts, VTLB is now as fast or faster than VM builds (with many more potential optimizations in the queue!).

Removed VM build targets from the Win32 solutions, because it no longer compiles and there's no point anymore in doing the work needed to make it compile. The optimization style of VTLB is completely incompatible from VM so it would require lots of newly branched code to maintain VM builds.

Commented out a VU0micro Stall warning which was causing a lot of spam in some games. The games have been noted and the issue will be looked into further in the future.