Weird Slowdowns (Edit: DQ8 Graphics Problem)
I'm trying to play Xenosaga trilogy and Dragon Quest VIII but there seems to be slowdowns. The framerate is averaging at 60% (Edit: 60FPS not percent) but the game still seems slower than usual. The sound sometimes experiences slowdowns as well but is usually fine which causes the video and sound to be out of sync. Anyone know the problem?

Here are my configs.
[Image: confign.th.jpg][Image: graphicsu.th.jpg][Image: soundw.th.jpg][Image: advancedv.th.jpg][Image: cpum.th.jpg][Image: speedhax.th.jpg]

Sponsored links

I'm confused, is the game running at 60FPS or 60% speed? Because there is a very big difference between the two.

If you are running at 60FPS but the game is running slow, it's because you have the VU Cycle steal hack turned on all the way. Try lowering it to moderate (in the middle) or lower. You can also try disabling 8-bit textures.

Also of note is though you have a really good PC, your CPU is still below the recommended requirements (3.5+ ghz dual+ core) for the harder to emulate PS2 games.
[Image: 2748844.png]
your speed hack config is way too aggressive, test every one of them against the fps without any speed hacks enabled to see which work for a game, then combine them if more speed is needed. dq8 is also quite gpu demanding even on native, what is your graphics card exactly? furthermore use the sse4.1 variant of gsdx and use linuziso as your cdvd plugin to run isos of your games directly from your hdd.
CPU Core [email protected] | GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 | RAM 8GB DDR-3 1600MHz CL9 | OS Win7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
EMU PCSX2 v1.1.0 r5645 | GS GSdx SSE4 r5632 | SPU2 SPU2-X r5559 | PAD LilyPad r5403 | CDVD cdvdGigaherz r5403
(08-29-2009, 06:34 AM)Koji Wrote: I'm confused, is the game running at 60FPS or 60% speed? Because there is a very big difference between the two.

If you are running at 60FPS but the game is running slow, it's because you have the VU Cycle steal hack turned on all the way. Try lowering it to moderate (in the middle) or lower. You can also try disabling 8-bit textures.

Also of note is though you have a really good PC, your CPU is still below the recommended requirements (3.5+ ghz dual+ core) for the harder to emulate PS2 games.

Oh my bad, I meant to say 60FPS but it still feels slow. I set the VU Cycle Stealing to moderate and its better now. When I set no limit to framerate it goes to 80fps and when I limit it again the sound goes a bit buggy, is this supposed to happen? Edit: Nevermind switching framelimit... the sound seems to skip regularly.

(08-29-2009, 07:11 AM)zero29 Wrote: your speed hack config is way too aggressive, test every one of them against the fps without any speed hacks enabled to see which work for a game, then combine them if more speed is needed. dq8 is also quite gpu demanding even on native, what is your graphics card exactly? furthermore use the sse4.1 variant of gsdx and use linuziso as your cdvd plugin to run isos of your games directly from your hdd.

I'm using GeForce 9600GT. I tried using linuziso but there was an error loading Xenosaga Episode I but not with DQ8. Maybe it is because it is a DVD9 split into 3 DVD5 but when I mount with Daemon and use Gigaherz plugin, it seems to work. And thanks, I'll try using SSE4.1 instead.
it's not unusual to get false fps readings or other problems with the speed hacks, they are called hacks for a reason Wink

(08-29-2009, 08:47 AM)retracell Wrote: ...Maybe it is because it is a DVD9 split into 3 DVD5...

sorry, but you will have to use the original dvd9 rip of your disc for pcsx2 to get support for it. any modification of your game image is probably illegal and thus shouldn't be discussed here.
CPU Core [email protected] | GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 | RAM 8GB DDR-3 1600MHz CL9 | OS Win7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
EMU PCSX2 v1.1.0 r5645 | GS GSdx SSE4 r5632 | SPU2 SPU2-X r5559 | PAD LilyPad r5403 | CDVD cdvdGigaherz r5403
Thanks for the info. I'm still getting some skippy sounds but I guess I can still play with it.

There's another problem though. In DQ8 cutscenes the graphics become like this:

[Image: gamescreen.th.jpg]

While at any other time it runs perfectly fine. Is there any fixes?