What are the best possible settings for graphic quality for visual novels?
Visual novels are a unique kind of game, since PS2 is the most popular console in history, japan released A LOT of japanese visual novels based on anime or original works.

They do not have 3d models, they are just lots and lots of 2D images for text and character portraits.

So the priority here is to have crisp and readable text in big letters, but sadly PCSX2 default performance only gives blurry and small images/letters. Here is one of said visual novels based on a comedy/drama anime:

[Image: FNfRiKC.png]

[Image: PgbcvHG.png]

[Image: FLaQFGB.png]

If don't understand what the problem is (which would be normal) here i will highlight it.

Some letters, like these, look too blurry and difficult to recognize:

[Image: cJbMqGt.png]

This can't be the game problem.

PS2 was not limited to screens this small, PS2 era had TVs much bigger than this small window, if this was how it normally looked in PS2, in big screens (which would easily be 3 times as bigger as this during the PS2 era) the letters would be a blurry mess.

I am inclined to believe these blurry small letters in low definition are mostly PCSX2 default graphic options and there is a way to have crispier, bigger and higher definition letters you can actually read.

Anyone knows which settings should PCSX2 use for visual novels?

Sponsored links

Try the different Interlacing settings, like Weave or Bob? Bob requires you to increase the internal resolution though to make it appear less shaky.
The thing is, some PS2 games (even VNs AFAIK) uses the Field rendering method which is when two 240p images at the different frames are interleaved to create an illusion of 480i images (CMIIW). The default settings for PCSX2 which is "Automatic" often prioritize the "Blend" method, which is why the text appears blurry. You can learn more about the deinterlacing here: https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Let-s-ta...nterlacing
[Image: cGzK8nC.gif]
There's no ready made solution available. Increasing internal resolution may help or make textures align incorrectly, resulting in error lines. I do it anyways, apply a bunch of shaders via ReShade and hope for the best. It's far from optimal but it's how image looked on the ubiquitous CRT tech of the time.

Google CRT Royale for more examples.