What does the future of PCSX2 look like?
I think you don't need an emulator to reverse engineer the bios. It even makes it worse. You need to build homebrew applications...

Sponsored links

You don't even need homebrew applications, you just need a damn good disassembler like IDA and a fair bit of knowledge.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(11-17-2015, 05:35 PM)bomblord Wrote: That would be the most important change to the emulator since its creation.
Don't hold your breath. There are not for tomorrow beside there is real-life too (for example, I'm looking for a new jobs)

(11-17-2015, 05:40 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: The only person I can think of to ask about creating a new BIOS that isn't copyrighted would be jpd002(play! dev)
You don't have trust in us. We're resourceful people too Tongue2

(11-17-2015, 05:48 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Well we have fps2BIOS but it's super rudimentary.

However couldn't we use PCSX2 itself to reverse engineer the BIOS in some ways? We are already interacting with it and stuff.

Also doesn't PS2 BIOS contain like the full C runtime?
fps2bios isn't rudimentaty. The PS2 bios contains lots of stuff. At least on the IOP side, the EE kernel is rather small. The trick is to only implement useful code.

(11-17-2015, 07:15 PM)refraction Wrote: You don't even need homebrew applications, you just need a damn good disassembler like IDA and a fair bit of knowledge.
The combo PCSX2/interpreter + gdb is very powerful. You can easily dump all memory/reg access. You can dump all syscall parameters and return value at runtime. Besides PCSX2 supports all the EE (extended) instructions whereas IDA is likely limited. Anyway, I'm nealy sure that fp2bios contains 80-90% of the info already.