What is the best PS2 to buy to run PCSX2?
Yeah which ps2 bios is the best to dump?
they all have small fixes in its bios right and the smaller ones ran on a completely different node right so its power profiles must be different?

Sponsored links

Erm, do you already own a PS2? That would be the best to use.
(01-20-2018, 08:42 PM)CK1 Wrote: Erm, do you already own a PS2? That would be the best to use.

yea 
its one off the older models
wouldnt a newer version have a more streamlined bios though
the motherboards in all off them arent the same right? so how do they differ performance wise?
No they're all the same. No BIOS will give you a performance advantage.
(01-20-2018, 08:48 PM)CK1 Wrote: No they're all the same. No BIOS will give you a performance advantage.

what about the PSX
that had a hard drive right, so that must be significantly different and its O.S 
[Image: psx01.jpg]
No. It's really just a glorified DVD recorder with PS2/PS1 hardware and the XCrossMedia Bar Tongue
(01-20-2018, 08:54 PM)CK1 Wrote: No. It's really just a glorified DVD recorder with PS2/PS1 hardware and the XCrossMedia Bar Tongue

according to the ps2 wikki and i quote "V3 had a substantially different internal structure from the subsequent revisions, featuring several interconnected printed circuit boards."

the first 3 versions treated dvd encoding differently too and encryption,
ps2 V7 had a different emotion engine configuration too and i quote "There are two sub-versions of the SCPH-700xx,[citation needed] one with the old EE and GS chips, and the other with the newer unified EE+GS chip"

now i can be wrong, but that should affect emulation big time right? they also included USB hard drives which should affect game loading times,
this is the big change however as far as i can see and i quote
"V12 (or V13) was succeeded by V14 (SCPH-7500x), which contains different ASICs than previous revisions" that asic change should be a big hardware change right?
yup the wikki confirms my suspicions
the later ps2 models played some games better due to its hardware configurations
and i quote
"Later hardware revisions had better compatibility with PlayStation games (Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions operates on most silver models"
"The new revision uses an integrated, unified EE+GS chip, a redesigned ASIC, a different laser lens, an updated BIOS, and updated drivers"
"In July 2007 Sony started shipping a revision of the slimline PlayStation 2 (SCPH-7900x) featuring a reduced weight of 600 grams compared to 900 g of the SCPH-7700x, achieved through a reduction in parts. The unit also uses a smaller motherboard as well as a custom ASIC which houses the Emotion EngineGraphics Synthesizer, and the RDRAM. "

all these things should significantly change emulation 
In later BIOS, the IOP was removed from the motherboard and became an emulated processor. Regardless, none of these things affect PS2 emulation specifically.
Not at all.
Or it could be translated this way : "with better hardware, your games play better"
If you improve your hardware, emulation will be better too
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(01-20-2018, 10:17 PM)jesalvein Wrote: Not at all.
Or it could be translated this way : "with better hardware, your games play better"
If you improve your hardware, emulation will be better too

according to the wikki sony improved their ps2 hardware which is why games played better on newer versions

what bios version is pcsx2 mainly coded around?

(01-20-2018, 10:15 PM)CK1 Wrote: In later BIOS, the IOP was removed from the motherboard and became an emulated processor. Regardless, none of these things affect PS2 emulation specifically.

IOP?