What plugins and settings?
Hi,

Just asking for some help on what would be the best plugins and settings for my system, I seem to run games fine but ingame the FPS suddenly dives down before picking back up to 60 at less eventful gameplay.

System:

Windows 7 32 bit
AMD II X6 1055T, 6 CPUs 2.8 ghz
4 GB Ram
ATI Radeon HD 5450 (2Gb)

Thanks! Smile

Sponsored links

Both your gpu and cpu are fairy weak, soo you can't expect much. Couse each game is different, you'll need to check what gives you slowdown in each of them to be able to customize config for it. Generally EE/GS% reaching 100% means your cpu is too slow for it, if the fps goes down and none of the mentioned reach 100% it's most likely your gpu.

Soo now during slowdowns caused by cpu, go to emulation settings and to get a speedup when EE reaches 100%, use speedhacks or presets(all recommended to begin with, then experiment with the sliders), if GS reaches 100% you could use frameskipping, but that's often buggy and will give you choppy graphics in most cases.
If it's slowing down couse other reasons, most likely gpu, go to GSdx config and among few things you can do here, try decreasing internal res(you should probably stick to "native" to begin with), you can also turn on/off "allow 8 bit textures there" to check if you get a speedup or it slows down even more, and ofc which you should start from, having dx11 gpu and win7, make sure you use DX11 rendering as it's mosly faster. Hardware mode generally is faster, but althrough your cpu is weak, it does have a few useless cores, soo potentially you could get nicer speeds with Software rendering at times when using a few of those cores to render, soo it's good to try to.

You can also read the guide for detailed info about each option to get some ideas when to use it and if a game is very problematic you can ask, but if above didn't give you speedup, most likely you're trying to run a game which is too demanding on your system, OC cpu could help, but if you bought hexa core cpu with fairy low clocks, I doubt you are into that.
your processor is nice but for right now everything in the world likes dual or quad and its recommended to be at least at the 3.10ghz mark unless you have a good mobo ram and gpu. id recommend seeing about using your AMD overdrive program. get to 3.10ghz.
use MTVU and bog down quality and ramp up speedhacks. then get Gamebooster to stop un needed processes and then maybe you will get better performance. but for PCSX2 CPU RAM and mobo are what gives performance. dnt really need GPU as much unless you use software mode.
(OS:Win7_64bit ULTIMATE) (M4a88TD-M asus mobo)
[Processor:AMD AthlonII x4 645 3.720ghz(OC)Quadcore]
VideoCard-[ATIradeon5750(OC) 850mhz 2GB
RAM-[DDR3-4GB Matched RAM w/ Heat Spreaders]HYperX BLU
cpu-cooler- H60 closed loop water cooling.
Hi, thanks for your responses.

I have downloaded 0.9.8, from 0.9.7 - only just realized it was released. Using the slider to safe (fast) and overclocking 12% (the max on the Asus gate, I have a motherboard similar to your own [pro]PCSX2 Smile, so I am a bit wary of AMD overdrive as it warns me it is not meant for Asus mobos) I have managed to speed up the slower bits to about 50-55 FPS which is good.

When it slows EE does reach 99%, however GS is always below about 30%. As miseru99 said, I'm not too into OC, purely because my last processor overheated and caused me to buy this mobo/cpu about a year ago. But [pro]PCSX2, as you are on Asus and have overclocked a good 0.5 - would you still use Overdrive despite AMD's warning - or did you get the OC from Asus gate?

One last thing, you mentioned RAM as a help. It would be very cheap and easy for me to change to 64 bit windows 7, with 8 GB of RAM. Would that be of any use to performance on PCSX2?

Thanks
RAM have practically no impact on pcsx2 performance, only cpu/gpy type and speed is which matters trully.
no way then why does it even check your RAM. and from what you say about CPU type tht would mean only Intel works because thats what the devs use no way broski. its only half true. well in the BIOS i picked Auto for everything unlocked CPU and then saw what happened after that I chose Manual, then used AMD Overdrive to over clock it to 3.4ghz, after that I got a H60 Corsair closed loop cooler for 70 bucks, then got to 3.60ghz. just about 20 minutes ago i go to 3.720ghz i idle at 36 Celsius. while overclocking I hit 61 Celsius but I dont think anything else but OCing will take me to those temps, so to go higher I will want a H100 Closed loop cooler. Here are my Overclock settings.
Current CPU clock is: 240 MHz
Current HT Link ref. clock is: 240 MHz
Current CPU multiplier is: 15.50 X
HT ref. Clock 240.01MHZ
PCIe Speed 100.00Nhz
Memory Frequency 639.66Mhz
Voltage 1.35
(01-22-2012, 12:45 AM)[pro]PCSX2 Wrote: ... then get Gamebooster to stop un needed processes and then maybe you will get better performance.

... dnt really need GPU as much unless you use software mode.

Don't waste your time with Gamebooster crap.

The GPU isn't utilized in software mode, just CPU.
Hardware mode is typically prefered, anyway.

You do, however, need a GPU that is at least average by modern standards.
The Radeon HD 5450 is not.
Keep the internal resolution low, beast100. (i.e. use native)
gamebooster does help because it frees processor time and relieves load.
Thanks again for the responses.

I have been trying a few things. It seems that the big slowdowns happen when my EE is at about 30%. Software mode does seem to speed this right up for some reason, it seems miseru99 was right about using the extra cores.

One that happens in every game is the loading of the "Playstation 2" with the noise, always really laggy despite EE and GS being at about 15%. I wonder if that means anything.

Rezard, I have been using native all along. I am starting to think it might be my GPU as you say - PCSX2 worked full speed on a laptop, with a 1.9 Ghz processor - although it was an i7 processor.
yeah architecture has a big effect. as we are using AMD the architecture isnt good enough which is why I have to clock to almost 4.00ghz in order to get good speeds.