What ratio's are good for EE and GS aside from FPS?
Hi everyone,

My system is a Dell 630i
Intel Core Duo 2 E8500 at 4.01 GhZ
Two NVidia GeForce 9800GT cards
4gb Ram
Windows Vista 32bit
and running pcsx2 version 1.1.0.5492

The issue I am noticing with certain games is that the although the FPS stays around 55-60, the EE and GS ratios jump around. In the game Viewtiful Joe, Need For Speed MW, and THPS 4, I feel the game lag although the FPS is above 50.
What do the EE and GS ratios mean, and where should they be ideally?

Currently I am running the Speedhacks at 3 for both the EE and VU Cycle Stealing, although I am a bit weary about running them at that level. If anyone could give me the best scenario to run pcsx2 with my system specs, to play my games, I would appreciate it.

Sponsored links

Well for the speed hacks it is recommended to keep them at 2 (for stability and compatibility reasons).

The two big issues that I see with your system is...

-Ram - well for your OS it is already maxed out so nothing much that you can do about that.
-CPU is going to be the biggest issue a dual core processor is not horrible for PCSX2 but I doubt you are going to see good performance.

Also

EE stands for Emotion Engine (the PS2 CPU)
GS - I am honestly not sure

Read here: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Official-...-9-7#SHack
(01-13-2013, 08:37 AM)MydknyteStyrm Wrote: (...)
I feel the game lag although the FPS is above 50.
(...)
I am running the Speedhacks at 3 for both the EE and VU Cycle Stealing
(...)

Those speedhacks underclock the emulated PS2 as not all games use all of it's power anyway, but for those that do the higher you set it the higher the game will lag and you'll only see fake fps in the fps counter. Decrease those speedhacks unless the game is even slower without them, but make note, they're not only cause false fps, they can also lead to crashes or other more or less serious bugs at some sensitive games even setting it just a bit can lead to problems soo blind abuse of those speedhacks is generally a bad idea.;]

(01-13-2013, 08:37 AM)MydknyteStyrm Wrote: (...)
What do the EE and GS ratios mean, and where should they be ideally?
(...)

EE and GS are both ps2 chips, when they're emulated they're threads running over your cpu and soo this % shows how much of your cpu is used on the emulation, the faster your cpu and the less demanding game you're running the lower it'll be. Pretty much anything below 100% is fine as only when one of them reaches 100% it means you're cpu limited and only then you have to experiment with speedhacks;].
(01-13-2013, 09:15 AM)miseru99 Wrote: Those speedhacks underclock the emulated PS2 as not all games use all of it's power anyway, but for those that do the higher you set it the higher the game will lag and you'll only see fake fps in the fps counter. Decrease those speedhacks unless the game is even slower without them, but make note, they're not only cause false fps, they can also lead to crashes or other more or less serious bugs at some sensitive games even setting it just a bit can lead to problems soo blind abuse of those speedhacks is generally a bad idea.;]

EE and GS are both ps2 chips, when they're emulated they're threads running over your cpu and soo this % shows how much of your cpu is used on the emulation, the faster your cpu and the less demanding game you're running the lower it'll be. Pretty much anything below 100% is fine as only when one of them reaches 100% it means you're cpu limited and only then you have to experiment with speedhacks;].

Do you know who had the idea and implemented the speedhacks?
No idea, I wasn't interested much in the project back then(not even heard about it actually ;o), it was already fully functioning and code repository changed(maybe even more than once@_@) before I got here;3. I know vu cycle stealing was based on shadow of the colossus internal speedhack as it was often mentioned by coders, but that's pretty much it.
Anything different from 60FPS for NTSC and 50FPS for PAL is slow motion or fast motion.

VU cycle stealing may give a kind of lag in some games despite the FPS is indeed boosted. That's a common mistake confusing the FPS with the pace things happen in game although there is a relation.

EE cyclerate effectively underclocks the EE reference speed may cause loss of synchronization in general fashion. One the first observable symptoms being the sound losing sync.

Getting any the two at the max is almost certain trouble. Although your CPU is old you should have no problems with a most sensible speedhack usage in most games. Those still getting low FPS are among those helpless in weaker/older machines.
Imagination is where we are truly real
EE and GS percentages? The lower the better.
(01-13-2013, 12:33 PM)Livy Wrote: EE and GS percentages? The lower the better.

The lower EE and GS percentages he already got pushing the speedhacks to the extreme Smile

"Balance" is the keyword, between performance x playability.
Imagination is where we are truly real
A tip for lower EE and GS percentage: set GSDX resolution to 6x. Tongue
I keep seeing the GDSX being brought up. Where can I find that setting? I noticed that on certain games if I leave the speedhack at 1 it actually runs better. Is there a way I can set the preferences for each game so that way I don't have to constantly change speeds and settings for each game? Thanks everyone for their advice so far!