What's the state of PS2 emulation these days?
PCSX2 looks like it's the last emulator in development, I see that the SVN builds are coming out constantly but the last stable release is dated from 2012.

Is it just a few guys working on it now with all of the other projects in the field being abandoned? What are the major roadblocks facing the folks doing it? Is there hope at the end of the tunnel or are we playing a waiting game for processors much faster than what we have now so the whole thing can just be brute forced at full speed?

Sponsored links

Dolphin is the latest Project not this Emulator and it's much more active and have much more coders ( screw them )

however from my point of View yes this is the emulator main direction nowadays brute force Devs are more concerned about Compatibility rather than speed Smile
(07-01-2013, 02:50 AM)The Old Refuge Wrote: Dolphin is the latest Project not this Emulator and it's much more active and have much more coders ( screw them )

however from my point of View yes this is the emulator main direction nowadays brute force Devs are more concerned about Compatibility rather than speed Smile

You have to admit though. Even with just a mid-range pc, a very decent chunk of ps2 games are playable at full speed.

While I wouldn't mind a full 60 FPS on EVERY game, I will admit I would rather have the compatibility. For example, one game I want to play, Run Like Hell, plays at a perfect 60 FPS with x3 native. But, to me, I can't record the game and put it on youtube like I want to do, because every other step the character takes, the model flips upside down. Though this may have been fixed in one of the newer SVN's.
(07-01-2013, 03:11 AM)xenoriddley Wrote: You have to admit though. Even with just a mid-range pc, a very decent chunk of ps2 games are playable at full speed.

While I wouldn't mind a full 60 FPS on EVERY game, I will admit I would rather have the compatibility. For example, one game I want to play, Run Like Hell, plays at a perfect 60 FPS with x3 native. But, to me, I can't record the game and put it on youtube like I want to do, because every other step the character takes, the model flips upside down. Though this may have been fixed in one of the newer SVN's.

use bandicam for recording
it is the best recording software i have seen
u get little or no fps drop Smile
(07-01-2013, 02:50 AM)The Old Refuge Wrote: Dolphin is the latest Project not this Emulator and it's much more active and have much more coders ( screw them )

Duh. The whole point of an emulator is to make it as accurate as possible. In turn this means that things may get more demanding or slow other games down. However the point is to get the emulator to act as close as possible to the real thing, playing all games, and acting like a real one would.
Compatibility is high. development is regular.
Compatibility is more of a focus since technology going to keep helping the speed.
Even some low-power processors are becoming passable.

Modern computer hardware is fast.
It's becoming quite common for integrated graphics to be PCSX2 capable,
and even handle upscaling.

It's getting harder and harder to buy a new PC that can't handle a fair amount of emulation.
(07-01-2013, 09:12 AM)Rezard Wrote: Compatibility is high. development is regular.
Compatibility is more of a focus since technology going to keep helping the speed.
Even some low-power processors are becoming passable.

Modern computer hardware is fast.
It's becoming quite common for integrated graphics to be PCSX2 capable,
and even handle upscaling.

It's getting harder and harder to buy a new PC that can't handle a fair amount of emulation.

Who would go out of their way to buy a computer that is incapable of using PCSX2?
Someone who is not interested in it at all perhaps...? lol

And some people "get stuck" with whatever laptop they get (i.e. as a gift).
It's gotten to the point where you're not screwed on an Intel IGP.

That's just plain awesome.
Compatibility is less than we would like it to be (of course Tongue2).
Speed can't be enhanced by us in the current dev team, it would need a very competent
emu coder with experience in multi-core development.
We pretty much did everything possible and then some.
Blame the laws of physics that we can't have much faster computers now than we do.
A 10Ghz Core chip would have little problems emulating every game Tongue2
(07-01-2013, 09:25 AM)Rezard Wrote: Someone who is not interested in it at all perhaps...? lol

And some people "get stuck" with whatever laptop they get (i.e. as a gift).
It's gotten to the point where you're not screwed on an Intel IGP.

That's just plain awesome.

Oh, I thought you meant like people who are buying. Like I can't see anybody going to shop for a computer and double checking to make sure it is PCSX2 INCOMPATIBLE XD.