What/who decides what game(s) are next?
Hello,
First of all sorry if this is in the wrong section, if so a mod could please move it would be great.

Anyways, who decides what games are next to be either attempted to be fixed for hardware mode or have some adjustments done so that they run a bit better in software mode?  I ask this as my PS2 I used to play the games PCSX2 couldn't recently died after so many years, though I saw it coming as it was having issues near the end.  I'm just wondering what or who decides when a game is going to try and be improved so that it works for hardware mode.  As I have tried using software mode on my 6700k (overclocked to 4.7ghz) but it still has issues as the games have graphical glitches in hardware mode.

EDIT:  I may as well ask this now, but why is it that games seem to have issues with hardware mode more then software mode?  I'm nowhere close to an expert in this type of things but isn't the only difference that hardware is running on the GPU and software is running on the CPU?

Thanks!  Wink Smile
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-6700K Processor (Overclocked to 4.6GHz)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A
GPU: x2, ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB AMP! Extreme (SLI)
RAM: 16 GB
HD: x1, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD, x1, 2TB SSHD, x1, 4TB Seagate Backup Plus, x1, 1TB Seagate External
OS: Windows 10 64-bit (Upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate (64-Bit)

Sponsored links

1. As for who decides, it's basically a combination of:

What games the devs have or can get ahold of
How easy/hard the bug is to fix
Whether we understand why the bug is happening
Whether fixing the bug might break other things

2. For hardware vs software - Software mode is rendered on the CPU and as such is very accurate. Since a CPU is general purpose, we can carefully emulate the GS output on it. In hardware mode the GPU is used. GPU is much faster and can do nice things like upscale. But a PC GPU is nothing like the PS2's GS, and so there are a lot of things that don't translate over well or at all.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
It depends on the number of 0 in the wire transfer to my bank account Tongue2

It is based on a complex algorithm. Which depends on the mood, how many people complain on a game, the difficulty to fix the game, the test support, the frame/experience level I can win, how many bird I can shoot with a single bullet. Strangely, I'm not even sure, I fixed any game that I own. So I think it is a rather fair algo Wink

Which game give you difficulty? There are lots of option now. Some requires a recent git build, some are hidden.
(03-31-2016, 02:02 PM)gregory Wrote: It depends on the number of 0 in the wire transfer to my bank account Tongue2

It is based on a complex algorithm. Which depends on the mood, how many people complain on a game, the difficulty to fix the game, the test support, the frame/experience level I can win, how many bird I can shoot with a single bullet. Strangely, I'm not even sure, I fixed any game that I own. So I think it is a rather fair algo Wink

Which game give you difficulty? There are lots of option now. Some requires a recent git build, some are hidden.

Thanks for the feedback.

I am having trouble with the following games.
Delta Force Black Hawk Down - http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/Delta_Fo..._Hawk_Down
Delta Force Black Hawk Down Team Sabre - http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/Delta_Fo...Team_Sabre
Battlefield 2 Modern Combat (Not to be confused with Battlefield 2 for PC) - http://forums.pcsx2.net/attachment.php?aid=39646
Ghost Recon 2 (Not to be confused with advanced warfighter) (Refer to this for issue) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUGuBxMsb8M

Each game above I have linked either a video or screenshots that show the issues. Black hawk down and battlefield are the ones I have been trying the most troubleshooting with but no luck. Ghost recon 2 is not as important as the others but still would love it.

I have tried the recent git builds that are on the website but no luck.

Thanks! Wink Smile
HD: x1, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD, x1, 2TB SSHD, x1, 4TB Seagate Backup Plus, x1, 1TB Seagate External
Battlefield 2 not only has the black screen issue of hardware mode, it also has a ghost double image in software mode that's probably at the source of the issue.
(03-31-2016, 02:50 AM)sandman332 Wrote: As I have tried using software mode on my 6700k (overclocked to 4.7ghz) but it still has issues as the games have graphical glitches in hardware mode.

Please use vs2013 builds with your cpu in sw mode. There is some architecture failure with skylake cpu's that lead to a strong performance drop. You are more or less limited to one core even if you enable extra rendering threads (ERT).

vs2013 builds are available on github here. Please select the vs2013 build and not the vs2015. (After selecting 2013 go to the point 'Artifacts' where you find a 7z with the portable build inside). The orphis buildbot is using vs2015 as well.

I would expect that you can play almost all games in sw mode with some ERT's at stock speed and especially with a mild overclock...
(04-04-2016, 05:05 PM)willkuer Wrote: Please use vs2013 builds with your cpu in sw mode. There is some architecture failure with skylake cpu's that lead to a strong performance drop. You are more or less limited to one core even if you enable extra rendering threads (ERT).

vs2013 builds are available on github here. Please select the vs2013 build and not the vs2015. (After selecting 2013 go to the point 'Artifacts' where you find a 7z with the portable build inside). The orphis buildbot is using vs2015 as well.

I would expect that you can play almost all games in sw mode with some ERT's at stock speed and especially with a mild overclock...

I didn't even know anything about that. I'll download that and give it a shot and see what happens.

Thanks! Smile

EDIT: Oh my good god. I just tried black hawk down and I am getting a steady 60 fps! I didn't even need to use any hardware hacks or what there called! You sir are awesome. Now I can relive my childhood games. I would expect the other games to run just as good in software mode as well, but I will need to test them. Quite weird that vs2013 compared to vs2015 made such a difference. Didn't know that this cpu had such issues. I wouldn't have gotten it if I knew this was the case. I hope that builds for vs2013 keep going on and you guys don't totally forget about them and move to just vs2015 builds. I will make sure to use that link from now on to get the newest git builds since like you said, the orphis buildbot is using vs2015 and not vs2013. I really hope that there is either a BIOS update or something that will fix this. I'm not the most technical kind of guy so I have no idea if this is something that Intel can fix on already existing skylake cpu's.

I love how I went from 30 fps to a steady 60fps. Thank you so much once again! Smile
The origin is probably an architecture bug by intel. (that happens from time to time..) For pcsx2 it is not even that bad. For GIMPS I think the pc/OS freezes on skylake. Possibly there will be a fix at some point by intel (maybe bios update) or microsoft restricts vs2015 to compile only safe features. However to my knowledge there is no solution/workaround for this problem.
I'm not sure it is related purely to Intel. It could be the handling of atomic operation in VS2015. It would be helpful if someone can test the update2 of VS2015.

Edit: or report a potential bug in VS2015?
So you would think that vs2015 relies on undefined behavior that nicely works for < skylake i7(HT) but not anymore with skylake HT? I don't know to me it rather sounds like they made a compromise in the design that yields under certain conditions (maybe multithreaded atomic operations) a bottleneck that they didn't have in mind during design time.