Which AMD CPU would you recommend ... ?
I think it not a matter of STP but reality. AMD is 28 nm (or maybe 32nm). Whereas Intel is 14 nm. Even with a good arch, AMD will be outside of the ring.
As a side note, if PCSX2 depends on AVX2 on the future, you will be screwed.

So, I agree with Ref here. Wait (the end of year ?)
Quote: If you do want to go AMD, as advised, wait for Zen, there are supposed to be huge improvements which will at least pretty much bring their chips in line with Intel ones. If you don't want to wait, look at getting an i5 intel CPU if you can stretch to it.

Sponsored links

Whoa.  Thanks to everyone for their responses and advice.  I think I will go with Intel after all.  Shame AMD isn't as good right now.
(03-01-2016, 07:31 AM)Omnimaxus Wrote: Shame AMD isn't as good right now.
Reality is that IPC have a maximum (even with an infinite number of transistor). And potentially we're close to it (Intel not AMD Wink ). So it mostly remains the techno that impact the low power and the number of cores. AMD tries to focus more on MT to create a difference with Intel. Not necessary a bad move, but it's suck for gamer Wink
(03-01-2016, 12:23 PM)gregory Wrote: Reality is that IPC have a maximum (even with an infinite number of transistor). And potentially we're close to it (Intel not AMD Wink ). So it mostly remains the techno that impact the low power and the number of cores. AMD tries to focus more on MT to create a difference with Intel. Not necessary a bad move, but it's suck for gamer Wink

it great move proving developers made programs with MT in mind most dont and those that do dont really do it right, if and when MT truely start to take off and be used proper AMD would be back in business, but they been betting on that for  very long time now and it still not happen.
90% of the market doesn't need perf (laptop). On the remaining half are real worker like me, so more threads are welcome. The remaining one are the pure gamer (+emulator). Honestly AMD didn't have any choices. So far advance chips are still burned with old 28nm tech (except main competitor Intel with 2 tech ahead). And zen can still be delayed to 2017...

The remaining question is what will happen when people hit the 10nm wall? (must be read as tech will last more than 2 years, and not as an absolute wall that will come later). It will change the competition rules for sure.
at the point it will be race of who can make 30watt cpu with the power of 6700k and more cores? I would so buy cpu that was 30watts with that kinda power.
Am486
Specifically for PCSX2, the 860k would be the best AMD CPU. Actually the 845 (Excavator core) has about 10% higher IPC than the 860k (Steamroller core) has on average, but it can't be overclocked (as easily) since it has a locked multiplier. The 860k is pretty cheap so you could easily do an FM2+ build, but if you wanted to overclock you'd want to go for a good mobo that has at least a 6+2 phase on the VRM to get good OC results. Most 860k's clock to 4.3ghz at the very least. A lot have gotten 4.5 and some who won the silicon lottery even got to 4.7ghz. The 880k is the newer Steamroller variant which now has a much better stock cooler as well as having a soldered IHS which greatly reduces temps. Also on a more mature 28nm node so there's potential for better clocks.
(02-29-2016, 10:58 AM)gregory Wrote: As a side note, if PCSX2 depends on AVX2 on the future, you will be screwed.

As would a lot of people. Wouldn't be a smart development move.
(03-05-2016, 07:01 PM)[]HP[]Hawkeye Wrote: As would a lot of people. Wouldn't be a smart development move.

I like progress as much as the next guy, but I have to agree with this. Having AVX2 as a requirement would literally prevent anyone pre haswell from using PCSX2.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]