Which AMD CPU would you recommend ... ?
Yeah my i5 3570k still work s quite well despite its age for PCSX2. Minus those games that are insane like the snowblind Engine games for example.

Sponsored links

(03-05-2016, 07:08 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: I like progress as much as the next guy, but I have to agree with this. Having AVX2 as a requirement would literally prevent anyone pre haswell from using PCSX2.
Well first you can still use old stable build. Then, the idea was to only requires AVX2 for a 64 bits port. Haswell is 3 year old, a port will take 2-3 years (except potentially low-end pentium).

AVX2 is a very big extension of the ISA. A SSE -> AVX2 extension port will require a big rewrite. And a 64 bits port will be a massive rewrite already. A shortcut feels appealing from a Dev point of view.

(03-06-2016, 12:48 PM)Topken Wrote: Yeah my i5 3570k still work s quite well despite its age for PCSX2. Minus those games that are insane like the snowblind Engine games for example.
Snowblind engine is an issue with CPU <=> GPU communication. Not the CPU.
While AVX2 support and use would be nice, the number of users that have AVX2 is not very high in the grand scheme of this, it would cut out a huge chunk of our userbase. I wouldn't like for this to be done unless we could have an alternate codepath for people without AVX2, even in 2-3 years.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Well, depends on what it is easier to maintain 32 bits vs multiple SSE/AVX code path. We are far from it anyway.

But I do think, it will be a better move to invest now in AVX2 support. (From an instruction set point of view) SSE/AVX1 are legacy now like MMX. This way, you can keep your CPU for the next 5-10 years. AVX512 will be the next big instruction set upgrade, but it is for 2020+
Try sse3.
(03-06-2016, 09:45 PM)[]HP[]Hawkeye Wrote: Try sse3.

Huh?

What does that have to do with the topic?
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
Plenty. PCSX2 currently only supports sse2 you guys never implemented sse3 which offers some improvements over sse2.
(03-06-2016, 09:59 PM)[]HP[]Hawkeye Wrote: Plenty. PCSX2 currently only supports sse2 you guys never implemented sse3 which offers some improvements over sse2.

which ones ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(03-06-2016, 09:59 PM)[]HP[]Hawkeye Wrote: Plenty. PCSX2 currently only supports sse2 you guys never implemented sse3 which offers some improvements over sse2.

sse3 offers no improvement over sse2, that's why we never implemented it. SSSE3 however had some advantages, which is why we did implement that.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]