Which AMD CPU would you recommend ... ?
Hello.  Might switch from Intel to AMD later on for my next build.  Which AMD CPU(s) would you recommend specifically for PCSX2?  Thanks.

Sponsored links

none, AMD STP is not the same as Intel's pcsx2 like intel architecture more. but there are AMD out thare good, just not there APU's
AMD's upcoming Zen architecture is supposed to improve their single thread speed so I would wait for that to come out. Should be sometime this year.
Just check this list and see how far bellow from the top you'll see an AMD cpu
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
If it has to be AMD, then I would recommend waiting for the next generation. If it can't wait then a 4350, or a 6350, or a 8370. Overclock it as far as you can.
(02-25-2016, 05:09 AM)Omnimaxus Wrote: Hello.  Might switch from Intel to AMD later on for my next build.  Which AMD CPU(s) would you recommend specifically for PCSX2?  Thanks.

I've always preferred AMD CPU's. I get really good performance out of PCSX2 on my Phenom II X6.
(02-25-2016, 05:54 AM)vsub Wrote: Just check this list and see how far bellow from the top you'll see an AMD cpu
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

first Amd isnt even listed like to like 1/5 way into that list that not really saying much though the newer Amd are still beat out by older Intel chips,  I do hope AMD pulls the magic rabbit out of there hat soon. i miss the days of Intel and Amd go back and forth  every year on who had the better performance. it pushed tech farther faster. Atm Intel dont even have to try to out pace Amd mostly cause they have been out pacing them for  5+ years now? there for Intel own offering from year to year dont show much progress performance wise.
(02-25-2016, 06:26 AM)[]HP[]Hawkeye Wrote: I've always preferred AMD CPU's. I get really good performance out of PCSX2 on my Phenom II X6.

AMD chips are still slower clock for clock, and have been since C2D
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(02-25-2016, 06:33 AM)Nobbs66 Wrote: AMD chips are still slower clock for clock, and have been since C2D
And the Phenom II X6 definitely shouldn't be recommended to anyone anymore. PCSX2 has a minimum recommended single thread speed performance of 1600, which that CPU range doesn't have. If possible get a good Intel CPU, if it has to be AMD, get one that at least has a higher single thread performance than 1600(see the link vsub posted).
Definitely a valuable list. Has just about every CPU you can think of.

But one thing I think you guys need to realize is that most programs don't rely on single thread performance the way PCSX2 does. If that's your whole logic then your limiting your self to higher cost Intel based CPU's with a max of 4 cores which I think is currently the most Intel offers.

Versus if you take a more balanced approach you can get a more reasonably priced AMD based CPU with a max of 8 cores.