Which games have highest GPU requirement?
The AMD will be fine for most games at that high frequency. Nice you got away with something cheaper than Intel.
You could've gone with a 3570K or similar of course, no need for the most costly CPU Wink
As for the GPU, look into getting Nvidia if you're doing a lot of emulation. They're historically better at this job
than the competition. I hear the 7xx series is awesome in price / performance.

Sponsored links

Xenosaga tip. Do not use mtvu. It makes it slower. Also with xenosaga. It will murder your system because of that video card. Xenosaga was coded so weird that it just doesn't like pcsx2 very much. I barely run it at full fps with my settings. I do get a few slowdowns here and there. I do run it at 3x or 4x resolution myself.
You wanted some more intense games? Run SotC at 60 FPS. For some odd reason the Onimusha games murder my computer. The avatar battles in dot Hack G.U. series tend to hit hard. Haven't played anything else recently.

edit: Haven't tried xenosaga in a couple hundred revisions. So not to current.
MOBO - GIGABYTE X570 AORUS MASTER
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
RAM - 32 Gigs DDR4
HDD - To many to note. NVEM, SSD and HDD
GPU - Nvidia GTX 1070
OS- Windows 10

(09-24-2013, 08:15 AM)rama Wrote: The AMD will be fine for most games at that high frequency. Nice you got away with something cheaper than Intel.
You could've gone with a 3570K or similar of course, no need for the most costly CPU Wink
As for the GPU, look into getting Nvidia if you're doing a lot of emulation. They're historically better at this job
than the competition. I hear the 7xx series is awesome in price / performance.

The 3570k scores roughly the same(7118) as my overclocked 6 core FX 6300 (7500) in Passmark. And it costs 200+ dollars. $109 was a great deal for the AMD. And I REALLY am on a budget. $700 a month is my entire income. There is a reason the last system I built was in 2006 lol.

Now GPU wise I have been looking at Nvidia, despite this so far being an AMD build. The passmark charts which I've been using to get the best deal show that right now Nvidia is winning in the price / performance battle on GPU.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(09-24-2013, 08:24 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: The 3570k scores roughly the same(7118) as my overclocked 6 core FX 6300 (7500) in Passmark. And it costs 200+ dollars. $109 was a great deal for the AMD. And I REALLY am on a budget. $700 a month is my entire income. There is a reason the last system I built was in 2006 lol.

Now GPU wise I have been looking at Nvidia, despite this so far being an AMD build. The passmark charts which I've been using to get the best deal show that right now Nvidia is winning in the price / performance battle on GPU.

True the get about the same scores. Just intel and nvida tend to work better for emulation. Thought you were going to bed.
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
RAM - 32 Gigs DDR4
GPU - Nvidia GTX 1070
OS- Windows 10

(09-24-2013, 12:50 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: (...)
Behold! (lol, and don't get the wrong idea, I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, just back up what I was saying in my OP, I do agree that it would be obviously better to have the Intel chip. It's be obviously better to have the $320 to buy it too...)
(...)
honestly I hesitate posting this lol, it's so easy to get taken the wrong way online anymore. Please take me at my word when I say I'm not making an argument, just a friendly discussion. Besides, what kind of a geek would I be if I didn't defend my hardware a little bit lol!
(...)

That's why I said it's fast enough for most games anyway - my last intel CPU was some weak c2d and generally I'm over AMD as well even keep mine under clocked and still can enjoy alot of great ps2 games whithout need of more powerTongue. I just tend to fill my posts with any extra info that comes to my mind whenever I have time to do that. (Commonly creating wall of text, but it's not like I'm pointing at anyone with a gun to read it.;o) Demanding games are rare, but they do exist and it's just worth noting which architecture is faster because the difference in emulation actually is pretty big, forgot to post it last time and nobody else did it yet, so here are links to our pcsx2 benchmarks for CPU and GPU. Obviously different games would give different results, even more considering new pcsx2 features, but for comparing solid difference of hardware power in pcsx2 those benchmarks are best.

It's cool;p, if I ever wrote anything to make you feel like a less experienced in "geekiness"(if being more is even positive;p lol :x) then sorry, I might have habits in those terms from replying in support section too often.

PCSX2 reports such low percentages on the EE, GS and VU when it's running at about 50% speed? Is that because as you said it's reporting CPU values but in this case I'm gpu limited so it's reflecting the lower CPU usage while it waits for the GPU?
(...)
Yup.
Exactly why I like to post that extra info how people can check stuff by their own;p, giving a fishing rod instead of fish ~ so to speak. There are obviously exceptions to such simple rules caused by bugs and stuff, emulation never is free of that, but generally knowing basics will allow any thinking, at least a bit geeky user to help himself and potentially help others in the future.

Edit: oh yeah thanks for the info about the quickenings and speeding that up!
(...)
You're welcome^_^.
(09-24-2013, 08:24 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: The 3570k scores roughly the same(7118) as my overclocked 6 core FX 6300 (7500) in Passmark. And it costs 200+ dollars. $109 was a great deal for the AMD. And I REALLY am on a budget. $700 a month is my entire income. There is a reason the last system I built was in 2006 lol.

Don't always go by synthetic benchmarks, though. Tongue
Blyss Sarania
Hey man, I see you have a videocard similar to mine (710m 64bit), and I want to ask you, do you have the following oddities as I have:
1) I have better performance with GSdx DX9 than with GSdx DX11. I think maybe it's because the videocard is weak or because of the 64 bit bus, but who knows, maybe the drivers are the culprit. Your videocard's performance should be almost the same as mine, that's why I'm asking you.

2) Sometimes in some games I have a freeze or a lag, it looks like as if the game is swaping itself on the hard drive (though it's definitely not a swapping - I have 4 GB of RAM). It's brief, but results in a chopping sound and a framerate drop, and happens during the action - when I run for a prolonged time or fight (DMC3 for example). Here the problem may lie either in videocard or in hard drive which works at 5400rpm's. But I highly doubt that it's the hard drive: I keep it defragmented, and PS2 games don't require that high bandwidth (of the HDD) anyway.

As for games that push GPU's to the limit - GTA Vice City Stories is definitely one of them. I've read that only the top end GPU's could run this game at resolutions beyond 2x scaling. I have to play this game only in native resolution. Gran Turismo 3 with it's night and wet night tracks also kills GPU's, especially the wet night track.
(09-25-2013, 11:41 AM)Dant Wrote: Blyss Sarania
Hey man, I see you have a videocard similar to mine (710m 64bit), and I want to ask you, do you have the following oddities as I have:
1) I have better performance with GSdx DX9 than with GSdx DX11. I think maybe it's because the videocard is weak or because of the 64 bit bus, but who knows, maybe the drivers are the culprit. Your videocard's performance should be almost the same as mine, that's why I'm asking you.

2) Sometimes in some games I have a freeze or a lag, it looks like as if the game is swaping itself on the hard drive (though it's definitely not a swapping - I have 4 GB of RAM). It's brief, but results in a chopping sound and a framerate drop, and happens during the action - when I run for a prolonged time or fight (DMC3 for example). Here the problem may lie either in videocard or in hard drive which works at 5400rpm's. But I highly doubt that it's the hard drive: I keep it defragmented, and PS2 games don't require that high bandwidth (of the HDD) anyway.

As for games that push GPU's to the limit - GTA Vice City Stories is definitely one of them. I've read that only the top end GPU's could run this game at resolutions beyond 2x scaling. I have to play this game only in native resolution. Gran Turismo 3 with it's night and wet night tracks also kills GPU's, especially the wet night track.

1.) DX9 tends to run faster. less instruction sets for dx9 vs dx11. Why it takes stronger video cards to run dx 11 games smothly.

2.) The reason it does that to you is because it is a spindle HDD and a slow speed one at that. Most likely a small buffer on it too. It doesn't load the whole ISO into your ram. Otherwise most the dvd ps2 games you couldn't run. 2+ gigs would be used.
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
RAM - 32 Gigs DDR4
GPU - Nvidia GTX 1070
OS- Windows 10

(09-27-2013, 04:57 AM)JobeStroud Wrote: 1.) DX9 tends to run faster. less instruction sets for dx9 vs dx11. Why it takes stronger video cards to run dx 11 games smothly.

2.) The reason it does that to you is because it is a spindle HDD and a slow speed one at that. Most likely a small buffer on it too. It doesn't load the whole ISO into your ram. Otherwise most the dvd ps2 games you couldn't run. 2+ gigs would be used.

PS2 emulator rarely goes beyond 2MB/s read speed, and 16MB cache is not that small. Again not every game has this issue. But I just remembered, that I have 4GB one channel RAM, could it cause it? It works though at 1333Mhz. But when I play RAM load is almost constant, and during lags it doesn't increase. Unlike MGS2, where it momentary could raise from say 1.5GB to 3GB and freeze the game for several seconds (when using first person view on Tanker starting point)
@topic- the most gpu intesive game (as i think ) is shadow of collosus and nfs(which is not properly playeble) , burnout 3 , kingdom heart fm . :-P
Core i3 9100f 3.6Ghz
RAM=8GB
nvidia GT 1030
pcsx2 version-1.3.1