Which one is better? DX11 or OpenGL?
(05-03-2016, 02:01 PM)gregory Wrote: Note: you could read previous post as rant against AMD. Life would have been so much easier (for everyone, including me) if AMD was capable to deliver a fully working GPU driver.

Absoulutely right. My previous gpu was AMD's 7850 gpu which is died 3 weeks ago because bga chip solder messed up. Anyways, I'm a 3d artist and working with Maya software. I know how bad AMD drivers reputation in games but didn't know the same goes for apps until they release "brand new" Crimson driver. Honestly, I've got a render engine error on Algorithmic's Bitmap2Material before Maya but luckily Algorithmic solved the issue in the next udate. But when Crimson driver comes up then Maya got multiple selection error and yes, because of useless AMD driver. They never released a fix for that issue. Rollback to Catalyst driver was the only solution. Now I have Nvidia gpu (gtx950) and I will never choose an AMD gpu again until they do some radical and noticeable improvements for their drivers. "Power is nothing without control" so I don't care how beast card they gonna release.

Sponsored links

Crimson 16.5.2.1
Quote:"Performance increase by up to 35% on AMD Radeon R9 390 series products in Doom™"

My guess is they fixed some OpenGL issues. Can anyone confirm if pcsx2 got any improvements or if the broken plugins got fixed?
CPU: I7-4770 3.9GHZ
Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS
RAM: Hyper X Savage 2x8GB 1.6GHZ CL9
GPU: GTX1070 8GB GDDR5
(05-17-2016, 12:42 PM)lightningterror Wrote: Crimson 16.5.2.1

My guess is they fixed some OpenGL issues. Can anyone confirm if pcsx2 got any improvements or if the broken plugins got fixed?

Probably not, the driver probably detects that doom is running and does tweaks for that game internally, it's probably unstable for general use, a lot of driver optimisations are.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Yeah, I saw AMD code. It was fairly easy Wink
Code:
if (game_exe == doom) {
just skip complex effect; // Driver is too slow to support it so don't bother
}
(05-17-2016, 12:55 PM)gregory Wrote: Yeah, I saw AMD code. It was fairly easy Wink
Code:
if (game_exe == doom) {
just skip complex effect; // Driver is too slow to support it so don't bother
}
This is just too funny.
CPU: I7-4770 3.9GHZ
Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS
RAM: Hyper X Savage 2x8GB 1.6GHZ CL9
GPU: GTX1070 8GB GDDR5
I haven't done any deep research, but I have R9 380 for about four months now and I'm playing with OpenGL for most of the time. Only game where I had problems with OpenGL was Shadow of Colossus, where I got this wierd diagonal line.

I haven't really looked into it, but if *felt* faster with OpenGL, could be just placebo.

If anybody's remotely interested, I could test performance across different games.
[Image: iq2O9Ya.jpg]
Don't try an Nvidia GPU you will be blown away Tongue2

Nornally opengl is lighter than dx on the cpu. But heavier on the gpu (because I'm trying to round properly the color). Some effect are emulated with a single shader pass instead of 2 (example shadows of sotc). There are both faster and nore accurate Smile
Welp! 16.4.1 actually broke OpenGL in Freedom Fighters. Just a black screen. Will test other games I have ASAP.

EDIT:

Things tested on R9 380 with 16.4.1 drivers and PCSX2-1.4.0 with OpenGL-Hardware GLSL 1.0.0:
  • Freedom Fighters - renders nothing, only sound remains
  • God Hand - Flashing FMV and sprites, transparent textures
  • Shadow of the Colossus - ~60% slower performance than DX11, transparent textures and wierd diagonal lines
  • Ico - flashing sprites, broken post-fx, flashing image, wierd diagonal lines
  • Ratchet & Clank - missing text and several other sprites, ghosting artifacts, 50% slower performance than DX11
Well...I don't know on what I was playing this whole time, but it wasn't this lol.

Settings Blending Unity Accuracy to Ultra didn't fix Freedom Fighters, didn't test it on other games.
[Image: iq2O9Ya.jpg]
(05-17-2016, 09:21 PM)FaithLV Wrote: Welp! 16.4.1 actually broke OpenGL in Freedom Fighters. Just a black screen. Will test other games I have ASAP.
Try again with Blending Unit Accuracy set to Ultra. Wink
(05-03-2016, 01:55 PM)gregory Wrote: My mistake is that I expected 3 months of QA, not 6-9.

Why didn't you wait until a working driver is released before removing the code? I'm not suggesting you to do that. I ask this question out of curiosity.

(05-03-2016, 01:55 PM)gregory Wrote: Conclusion, if you're an AMD owner, you have 3 solutions
* keep a 1-2 months "old" GSdx version (before April)/wait a new driver /Wait an DX12 or Vulkan port

Could you please specify the latest revision that still works? This information should be on the main website somewhere. It will be very useful for users who use AMD cards.