Whole game slows when fps drops
I have an extremely powerful gaming computer, yet fps will lower, this is just something inevitable that everyone has to deal with. My question is why doesn't pcsx2 take the same approach to low fps that every other gaming platform takes? When fps drops the game doesn't slow down it may just get a bit choppy. I only drop to 50-55 but even then its extremely noticeable because of the slowdown. Is there any way to fix this to just continue at the normal speed just play in 50-55 fps for that short time?

Sponsored links

tell us specs... Powerful pc for PC games is not same for Emulation.

PS2 game need to run 60FPS to run correct cause it all synced if it runs with limiter off everything is fast if it runs slow then 60fps everything gets slow.
(10-22-2013, 06:41 AM)tsunami2311 Wrote: tell us specs... Powerful pc for PC games is not same for Emulation.

PS2 game need to run 60FPS to run correct cause it all synced if it runs with limiter off everything is fast if it runs slow then 60fps everything gets slow.

^This. actually, your question
Quote:My question is why doesn't pcsx2 take the same approach to low fps that every other gaming platform takes?
is a false one. it should be "My question is why doesn't PS2 take the same approach to low fps that every other gaming platform takes?"
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
I would change the above from "PS2" to "PS2 games" since it's not really a platform choice;p, it's in game engine.

Some PS2 games actually DO that ie drop framerate to archive full speed when hardware is not enough, best example for that is probably SotC. In such games we can lower the emulated hardware to decrease requirements by speedhack abuse to increase speed, but framerate will be totally killed. And it will be terrible, because as opposite to what most people belive PS2 games doesn't run at 50/60 fps;p, it's VERY RARE. We have 50/60 Virtual fps in pcsx2, but in fact most games at full speed only draw 25/30fps and in some even that's not constant on real console(once again SotC is best example;p). Hence when somebody thinks he could live with 30fps as he does on pc, he just have no clue what he wishes for. If you cut fps to half to decrease requirements by same amount it would actually drop to like 12,5/15 real fps in most games and that's just awful and nobody would really like to play like that. With such desperation best way is to just play on PS2.

In the end with enough knowledge you can hack game to run at different FPS and often it's fairy easy(through mostly luck based;p), but you can't just rewrite it's whole engine which would make it drop only when needed, it would be constant and low fps is nothing desirable so nobody really makes such hacks. Similar thing can be done in few(very few and no, there's no list and most games will just slow down by doing so anyway;p) games by changing internal framerate in pcsx2 ini files, but that method is buggy and will break most games hence it's not part of gui.

And lol about "extremely powerful gaming computer", on emulation forums we rather don't exaggerate soo much about our pc's probably because nobody who actually knows real power behind his hardware would describe his cpu by a long sentence of marketing advertisement like that. It kind of feels like you should either hit hw section to check some realistic benchmarks and drop the idea of having that "e. p. g. c." or if you trully have something powerfull like highly clocked new intel cpu with decent gpu in pair open a support thread asking why it's soo slow, maybe you just set your resolution too high or actually abused some settings without understanding them as slider speedhacks which when abused does cause actual slowdown in most games;p.
(10-22-2013, 07:51 AM)miseru99 Wrote: I would change the above from "PS2" to "PS2 games" since it's not really a platform choice;p, it's in game engine.

Some PS2 games actually DO that ie drop framerate to archive full speed when hardware is not enough, best example for that is probably SotC. In such games we can lower the emulated hardware to decrease requirements by speedhack abuse to increase speed, but framerate will be totally killed. And it will be terrible, because as opposite to what most people belive PS2 games doesn't run at 50/60 fps;p, it's VERY RARE. We have 50/60 Virtual fps in pcsx2, but in fact most games at full speed only draw 25/30fps and in some even that's not constant on real console(once again SotC is best example;p). Hence when somebody thinks he could live with 30fps as he does on pc, he just have no clue what he wishes for. If you cut fps to half to decrease requirements by same amount it would actually drop to like 12,5/15 real fps in most games and that's just awful and nobody would really like to play like that. With such desperation best way is to just play on PS2.

In the end with enough knowledge you can hack game to run at different FPS and often it's fairy easy(through mostly luck based;p), but you can't just rewrite it's whole engine which would make it drop only when needed, it would be constant and low fps is nothing desirable so nobody really makes such hacks. Similar thing can be done in few(very few and no, there's no list and most games will just slow down by doing so anyway;p) games by changing internal framerate in pcsx2 ini files, but that method is buggy and will break most games hence it's not part of gui.

And lol about "extremely powerful gaming computer", on emulation forums we rather don't exaggerate soo much about our pc's probably because nobody who actually knows real power behind his hardware would describe his cpu by a long sentence of marketing advertisement like that. It kind of feels like you should either hit hw section to check some realistic benchmarks and drop the idea of having that "e. p. g. c." or if you trully have something powerfull like highly clocked new intel cpu with decent gpu in pair open a support thread asking why it's soo slow, maybe you just set your resolution too high or actually abused some settings without understanding them as slider speedhacks which when abused does cause actual slowdown in most games;p.

Thanks for the feedback, here are my specs for anyone interested. If you need more detail let me know.

(10-22-2013, 10:32 PM)MySweetGaben Wrote: Thanks for the feedback, here are my specs for anyone interested. If you need more detail let me know.

It's a nice rig, but as the others said, that's just the way emulation works. To try and fix it you can lower your settings, though as said your computer is pretty capable. It really depends on the game, but you can try some speed hacks. If you aren't using MTVU, try that first. And if you ARE using it, sometimes turning it off is faster. It just depends. So toggle it to whatever it isn't. After that, you can try the EE cycle rate hack. I really don't recommend the VU cycle stealing hack because I've had nothing but problems with it, but you can try it next if EE doesn't work.

Just be warned that speed hacks can break things. That's why they are optional and called "hacks." Tongue
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
this is quite powerful, but far from being the best, especially CPU-wise. Piledriver may be better than Bulldozer, it's still not enough in some games.
which one(s) are you trying to run, BTW ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(10-22-2013, 10:36 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: It's a nice rig, but as the others said, that's just the way emulation works. To try and fix it you can lower your settings, though as said your computer is pretty capable. It really depends on the game, but you can try some speed hacks. If you aren't using MTVU, try that first. And if you ARE using it, sometimes turning it off is faster. It just depends. So toggle it to whatever it isn't. After that, you can try the EE cycle rate hack. I really don't recommend the VU cycle stealing hack because I've had nothing but problems with it, but you can try it next if EE doesn't work.

Just be warned that speed hacks can break things. That's why they are optional and called "hacks." Tongue

I see that i'm going to be more involved in this than i thought, haha. Thanks ill start messing around with some settings now
(10-22-2013, 10:38 PM)MySweetGaben Wrote: I see that i'm going to be more involved in this than i thought, haha. Thanks ill start messing around with some settings now

Don't just mess around though, don't just throw speedhacks wide open or you will cause more harm than good! Just ease them up one at a time until it either breaks or gets up to speed. But there is no guarantee either, and as jesalvein said, what game are you trying to play?
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(10-22-2013, 10:40 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Don't just mess around though, don't just throw speedhacks wide open or you will cause more harm than good! Just ease them up one at a time until it either breaks or gets up to speed. But there is no guarantee either, and as jesalvein said, what game are you trying to play?

Sly cooper right now, it will be solid 60fps for awhile, then just bog down to 50 for a few seconds.