Why Dolphin progresses much faster than PCSX2 ?
I won't claim to know the GCN very well... but it may just be that the software accesses most of the hardware directly, thereby bypassing any need for a bios... But that seems unlikely and obviously isn't the case for the DSP which requires a dump. It may simply be that writing an HLE bios was necessary for performance at some point so they managed to reverse engineer it.
[Image: 2748844.png]

Sponsored links

Well I googled it, and it seems that the games themselves contain the necessary code making an external bios un-needed.
Here's a quote from ector:
"Unlike the UltraHLE guys (of N64 emulation fame), we've never heard from Nintendo at all. . . .The emulator itself is legal: as long as you rip games that you buy and play them with Dolphin there's nothing that's even questionable going on. Dolphin does not require the use of a BIOS file due to the 'OS' on Nintendo systems being built into each and every game."
http://www.1up.com/features/chances-play...r.offset=1

I don't know the details... it does sound weird imo.
Check out my blog: Trashcan of Code
Cottonvibes: A bit, but nintendo does weird things... For example on the Wii, the Wii menu (from when you press the home button in game) is actually a part of the games and has it's own dedicated part of every Wii disc. That said it is a marked improvement from the gamecube at least in that the games will install the 'os' (in the wii's case, the IOS) though overly complicated since many games may use their own version (including the Wii's main menu).
[Image: 2748844.png]
I just tested Dolphin and I can play this games:

Bleach versus crusade
Dragon ball Z budokai tenkaichi 3

at full speed!!! Like it was a PC game!
When I saw that I asked me: how dolphin team did that? Finally an emulator from a recent console we could play games at full speed?
And it is a multiplatform emulator, what else? Someone know how they did that? Some sorcery?
Config: Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic 64 bits - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 - official Ubuntu Nvidia drivers 390.48 - 1920x1080 - Processor Intel i5-3570 3,4 Ghz - 8 Go RAM
Just like we did it, black magic.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Both emus are great!
Current System: Laptop (Acer Aspire V3-771G-9875)
CPU: Intel Core i7-3610QM 2.3GHz (Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.3GHz)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 2GB
RAM: 6GB
Wii emulation is much easier AFAIK not to mention that Dolphin got like 15 dev or so ...
yeah, im kinda suprised myself that the dolphin emu is progressing really fast. Must be the devs im happy for pcsx2 and the dolphin emu
Even though Dolphin seems to be progressing faster, I have found that I get a much better framerates in PS2 emulation than Gamecube/Wii. I have a very good CPU (the specs in my profile are from my old computer; I just haven't updated them yet; I actually have a Core i7 2600k CPU at 4.2Ghz and an EVGA GTX680 GPU) so I should be able to run these games just fine. On PS2, the toughest titles to run work great such as "Shadow of Colossus" and the "God of War" series without enabling speed hacks.

However, with Dolphin, I still need to keep the respective hacks on such as EFB->Texture on or else many games slow down considerably (some don't mind you). So from an optimization perspective, it seems PCSX2 is further ahead as I just can't imagine the Gamecube and Wii being more demanding to emulate than a Playstation 2 but perhaps I am wrong.