Why Dolphin progresses much faster than PCSX2 ?
Quote:The GC may be stronger but I yet to see it perform normal mapping, advanced bump mapping like the ps2 did in path of neo.

advanced bump mapping is used in Twilight princess

Sponsored links

(09-13-2011, 08:50 AM)Livy Wrote: Indeed Dolphin progresses much faster. It was in alpha stage in 2003, 2 years after the launch of the NGC, and had experimental Wii emulation in 2008, 2 years after the launch of the Wii. Now they can take a break while waiting for the upcoming Wii U and its documentations before starting a new project.

The PS3 came out in 2006 and after 5 years, PCSX2 team still stucks with the PS2. Why do you guys not abandon PCSX2 and shift to PCSX3 like you did before with PCSX1? PC hardware limitation or documentations unavailability?

Who Cares About PS3, I want a Full Fledged Xbox 1 Emulator
(09-13-2011, 06:46 AM)DaMan Wrote: Isn't REmake just some 3D models on pre rendered backgrounds? The DC could handle that.

Some DC games were better looking than early PS2 games too. Unfortunately that console never showed her true potential so that we could draw comparisons between the 3

Dreamcast emulation was not easy to achieve either in that stage. The fact that we get still 3rd party games and there is a way now to bypass the GD-ROM shows that there is still potential.

Rezard:
I just went by the numbers to compare the 2 consoles. PS2 seemed to be the beefier machine, lol.

Livy:
Check the PCSX3 thread and read up why it won't happen anytime this century Tongue2
The Xbox 1 was indeed the 'easiest' to emulate from that generation and the reason no one did it is very simple: No interest. Most of the Xbox games were ported to the PC and there was almost no Xbox exclusive titles, which weren't ported either to the PC or to the other consoles. The game base the console had simply did not make anyone want to emulate it because no one was really interested in playing those games Tongue

Quote:Indeed Dolphin progresses much faster. It was in alpha stage in 2003, 2 years after the launch of the NGC, and had experimental Wii emulation in 2008, 2 years after the launch of the Wii. Now they can take a break while waiting for the upcoming Wii U and its documentations before starting a new project.

The PS3 came out in 2006 and after 5 years, PCSX2 team still stucks with the PS2. Why do you guys not abandon PCSX2 and shift to PCSX3 like you did before with PCSX1? PC hardware limitation or documentations unavailability?

Ever thought of the number of active developers in each project? Dolphin has more than triple the coders the PCSX2 project has and an easier job at doing that to top it off. I wouldn't like the team to abandon PCSX2 and I think most people wouldn't either. It's very clear that people still want to play back their PS2 games at this date and age, mostly because the PS2 game base must be the largest and best by far compared to its' console generation and the next too (yes, the PS2 game base is better than even the current gen PS2/X360/Wii game base in both terms of quality and quantity in my opinion)
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Yeah I'd rate the PS3 at about the level of Xbox in terms of interesting games, and most of the games are PC ports to begin with. Besides it's unrealistic to expect an emulator for the console when people can't even it hack it to play the latest games - everyone's still stuck on a firmware that released over half a year ago.
(09-13-2011, 11:30 AM)synce Wrote: Yeah I'd rate the PS3 at about the level of Xbox in terms of interesting games, and most of the games are PC ports to begin with.

I woudn't agree. Uncharted1/2/3, GoW3, HR, Infamous1/2, MGS4, Siren, Valkyria Chronicles, Killzone2/3, Resistance1/2/3, Demon's Souls, Castlevania, Enslaved, RDR, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1/2, The Darkness. And that not counting PC ports.
You're right Bositman. I forgot that Dolphin has more than 60 coders whereas PCSX2 only has around 20, IIRC.

Why do you call the first Xbox "Xbox 1"? There's no Xbox 2 or Xbox 3. The current Xbox console is Xbox 360, and the next one is called Xbox 720. So the first Xbox must be called "Xbox 0", because 0 + 360 = 360 and 360 + 360 = 720, lol.
(09-13-2011, 09:24 AM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: advanced bump mapping is used in Twilight princess

Yeah it was, I remember fighting the frog monster in lakeside temple and its skin was really bumpy. However was bump mapping used "extensively" in twilight princess?
Let's say for example you want to argue with Ubisoft and complain that they did a terrible job of porting splinter cell double agent to the gamecube. The xbox version had normal mapping everywhere while the GC and ps2 versions didn't even have dynamic shadows. Ubisoft would ask you to show them a GC game that can do extensive use of normal maps everywhere in the level and utilize the havok physics engine?

I don't think twilight princess would hold up. Many areas didn't have bump mapping. In fact it was used quite sparsely. However Rogue Squadron 2 and 3 used on 50% of the gamecube power and had bump mapping everywhere on levels much bigger than splinter cell.

Info on Gamecube Rogue squadron:
http://www.segatech.com/gamecube/overview/index.html
"the developer Factor 5 who is developing Star Wars: Rogue Squadron is already doing 12 million polygons/second, and the developer claims they are only using 50 percent of Gamecube's power. Factor 5 indicated they could get 20 million polygons/second per second with all effects. "

People keep saying RE4 is the best looking GC game. I say well maybe artistically but Rogue squadron is the best performing gamecube game imo. And that's kinda of funny since one of them was a launch title.

Path of Neo for the ps2 used normal maps without level of detail removal on large environments and on the guns and had the havok engine ported to the ps2 for Neo's telekinesis powers.
There is no point trying to compare 2 consoles from the graphics or effects its' game use. Even if it's the same game in both consoles, the limiting factor is almost always the skills of the coding team, the budget and the time they have to code the game. There are very few (if any) games that take advantage of the full power of consoles and still you can't just compare X game on Gamecube to Y game on the PS2 to decide which console is better...
[Image: newsig.jpg]