Why are 480i games screenshots resolution 512x448 or 640x448? Shouldn't it be half?
Question 
I took some screenshots for 480i games with older pcsx2-v1.7.0-dev-801-g527ba52de-windows-x86, the resolution is either 512x224 or 640x224.

However, taking screenshots with newer pcsx2-v1.7.5065-windows-x64-Qt, the resolution is either 512x448 or 640x448.
It seems to me that the older PCSX2 screenshots of 480i games are the real PS2 1/60 second/1 field rendering resolution. How did the resolution of newer version screenshots become 640/512x448? Are they no longer PS2 rendering resolution but PCSX2 rendering resolution instead? Or had newer PCSX2 been combining 2 fields of 480i resolution into 1 frame? 

I also realized that while running 480i games PCSX2 shows 512/640x448 60FPS. In this case each frame should be 512/640x224 shouldn't it?

Sponsored links

How did you even managed to capture the half 480i fields anyway? I tried with Virtua Racing which was "Field rendered" games and even going back to 1.6.0 it still captures at 640x448 while the version you used to capture those half fields are few months newer than 1.6.0 (Can't find that build anymore).

Unless you are using cheat codes that alters the GS register to render only the half of the fields essentially turning it into 512/640x224.
[Image: cGzK8nC.gif]
480i is 448 pixels tall, width depends on the game, I think you're thinking about the height of the framebuffers which can be either 448 or 224 pixels high depending on the deinterlacing mode, but the screenshots are from after the framebuffers are merged, so they will be expanded to 448 before the screenshot is taken.

Further thing to note that only 224 of those lines are ever read out per frame, which is what gives the interlace weaving, However we cheat when the framebuffers are full height and just scan them out, ignoring the interlacing, so you basically get a progressive picture. But regardless of this, the final height of the picture is still 448 (or whatever the game renders at)
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(09-30-2023, 12:40 PM)BloodRaynare Wrote: How did you even managed to capture the half 480i fields anyway? I tried with Virtua Racing which was "Field rendered" games and even going back to 1.6.0 it still captures at 640x448 while the version you used to capture those half fields are few months newer than 1.6.0 (Can't find that build anymore).

Unless you are using cheat codes that alters the GS register to render only the half of the fields essentially turning it into 512/640x224.

It's inconsistence, some 480i games screenshots are 448 pixels tall, some are 224 pixels tall. I guess it depends on the deinterlacing mode like what refraction explained.

What I realized is that with interlacing mode set to "None" and if I see a shaking screen after loading into a game, its screenshots are going to be 224 pixels tall. Try one of those games I posted with older versions, Ridge Racer V is also like that. If you still get 448 pixels tall screenshots I will upload the one I got, and we will find out what's going on.

BTW 480i NTSC standard is "a frame rate of 30 frames (images) per second, consisting of two interlaced fields per frame at 262.5 lines per field and 60 fields per second." So there is no "half field", more like half frame.
(09-30-2023, 01:29 PM)refraction Wrote: 480i is 448 pixels tall, width depends on the game, I think you're thinking about the height of the framebuffers which can be either 448 or 224 pixels high depending on the deinterlacing mode, but the screenshots are from after the framebuffers are merged, so they will be expanded to 448 before the screenshot is taken.

Further thing to note that only 224 of those lines are ever read out per frame, which is what gives the interlace weaving, However we cheat when the framebuffers are full height and just scan them out, ignoring the interlacing, so you basically get a progressive picture. But regardless of this, the final height of the picture is still 448 (or whatever the game renders at)

So screenshots the newer versions captured are the "cheated" PCSX2 rendering resolution after framebuffers merging, that's nice.

As for real PS2 running 480i games, each field is always 224 lines which is half a frame, that was what I expected to see for screenshots though.
the newer versions give you either the internal resolution size or the window size, I believe, it's much better than the old version Tongue
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]