Why can't my laptop run the games with decent FPS?
Hello everyone. This is my first post and I hope I'm not making any mistake.
Anyway, I just got PCSX2 1.2.1 (r5875), followed the configuration video guide but for some reason seems that my laptop is not powerful enough to run the game (I tried God Hand) over 10 FPS with 3x native resolution. The thing is: I have the impression that my laptop is more than enough for that, but I'm not an expert, so I need you guys to judge it.
I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate and my hardware is:
Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.4 GHz
16 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 670MX

Shouldn't my laptop be able to run the game smoothly? Is it possible I'm doing something wrong?
Please, I need help. There are so many PS2 games that I want to play...
I can provide more information if needed. Thanks a lot! Any help is appreciated!

Sponsored links

Hello,

If i am correct those are the specifications of an Asus G75VW, i used to have that laptop and it played games totally fine. Most probably it's the graphic plugin set incorrectly, try to use first native resolution and reset the settings of that plugin to their defaults, only then try different settings one by one until you find the right setup for you, if the problem continues to be there check if the pc is being kept busy by some other process and report back in this thread your pcsx2 settings (mostly gpu plugin settings and speed hacks enabled.
(12-31-2014, 05:39 AM)alfio8788 Wrote: Hello,

If i am correct those are the specifications of an Asus G75VW, i used to have that laptop and it played games totally fine. Most probably it's the graphic plugin set incorrectly, try to use first native resolution and reset the settings of that plugin to their defaults, only then try different settings one by one until you find the right setup for you, if the problem continues to be there check if the pc is being kept busy by some other process and report back in this thread your pcsx2 settings (mostly gpu plugin settings and speed hacks enabled.
Use vu stealing and Mtvu hack and try the game, they give a good performance boost.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(12-31-2014, 05:39 AM)alfio8788 Wrote: Hello,

For some reason, it worked. All I did was check native resolution, run game, then change to 4x and it works. Games now are running at 50-60 FPS. Thanks for the help.
By the way it's not an ASUS, it's a unknown brand that lets you select every component and build your own laptop.

(12-31-2014, 06:31 AM)ssakash Wrote: Use vu stealing and Mtvu hack and try the game, they give a good performance boost.
I didn't need to use those, for some reason the emulator now runs with good FPS.
What's the native FPS on PS2? Games used to run at 30 or 60 FPS? Is there any benefit in "locking FPSs" to avoid the flutuation?
(12-31-2014, 03:45 PM)rodolfocm Wrote: For some reason, it worked. All I did was check native resolution, run game, then change to 4x and it works. Games now are running at 50-60 FPS. Thanks for the help.
By the way it's not an ASUS, it's a unknown brand that lets you select every component and build your own laptop.

I didn't need to use those, for some reason the emulator now runs with good FPS.
What's the native FPS on PS2? Games used to run at 30 or 60 FPS? Is there any benefit in "locking FPSs" to avoid the flutuation?

Native FPS for the PS2 is 50 for PAL games and 60 for NTSC games. The framerate of PS2 games is tied to their speed, so if you get anything other than these frames when emulating you're not playing at the right speed. By default PCSX2 will cap a game on the correct framerate so you don't have to worry about that.

Also depending on your emulation window's size you may wish to drop upscaling to x3 since anything more is usually pretty difficult to see improvement on unless your display increases in size.
(12-31-2014, 07:13 PM)Coornio Wrote: Native FPS for the PS2 is 50 for PAL games and 60 for NTSC games. The framerate of PS2 games is tied to their speed, so if you get anything other than these frames when emulating you're not playing at the right speed. By default PCSX2 will cap a game on the correct framerate so you don't have to worry about that.

Also depending on your emulation window's size you may wish to drop upscaling to x3 since anything more is usually pretty difficult to see improvement on unless your display increases in size.
My games are running 55-60. Is that acceptable? Also, any tips on improving chances of a fixed 60 FPS? Another question: is there a problem to play PAL games with a NTSC bios vice-versa or should i focus on NTSC games only?
BIOS doesn't matter
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
There are some rare cases of full boot not working on some game and bios combination. Other than that there are not much problems I"m aware of.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
Here's another thing to try if you are encountering choppiness. Try going to Config > Video (GS) > Window Settingsā€¦ and check on "Wait for Vsync on refresh". Some games run fine with it off, but other games are choppy unless you check that.
I'm having a bit of an instability issue with the speed of God hand it's fine in game but in menues it gets to almost 80 fps