Why do some games emulate superbly while others run so slow...?
Out of my game library FFX is the only one that seems to work at 1920x 1080 resolution on my large HDTV. It looks great. I tested out Crash Nitro Kart and that looks and runs good as well.

However, I've noticed that a lot of games don't run very good at highest resolution and suffer from slowdown unless I put the game in native resolution, which results in jagged visuals and black bars on the sides. If I stretch screen or go to 16:9 mode..it looks even worse when in "native." This was mostly present in Gran Turismo 3 and Jak2. Also, Jak2 has weird graphic glitches on Jak model such as green skin/ & metallic like hair. Still playable, but it's in native mode.

Other games such as Spider-Man: The Movie run slow no matter what resolution it's in. The compatibility list states otherwise, but it's not playable for me the framerate drops too low making it extremely slow to play. 

What PS2 games run really good on PCSX2? FFX looks, sounds, and plays great when emulated. I wish all my games emulated like that. 

Looking to purchase MGS2, Kingdom Hearts, God of War, 007: Everything or Nothing, and hope they emulate @ full resolution without slowdown like FFX and Crash Nitro Kart.

Sponsored links

what's your cpu and gpu?

generally games and engines are different. some rely on the cpu and the vu processor to compute the lighting and such. other use a lot of gs trickery. some effects can be insanely expensive to render in higher resolutions.
AMD A6-5400k (2 CPUs), 3.6GHz

AMD Radeon HD 6800 series
Because each game has different requirements, and it shows. Not every game uses the console in the same manners.

As i said in the last DX12 thread, i can run Lament of Innocence almost flawlessly with my FX4350+HD7770, but the Saint Seiya Games, wich should be less intensive, actually runs slow-mo.

Also keep in mind that the compatibility is tested with high end machines to ensure that, if there's any issue, it's not on the user end.
That cpu is on the week side when we are talking about 3d games
https://cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD...PU&id=1494
Single Thread Rating is really important when we are talking about emulators and you need at least 1600 for most 3d games.
My i7 4771 have around 2200 points and I can play every game at above full speed all of the time(there are few exceptions
(12-28-2015, 10:24 AM)vsub Wrote: My i7 4771 have around 2200 points and I can play every game at above full speed all of the time(there are few exceptions

Dude, it's an i7, that's like saying that fire actually burns.

But yeah, AMD APUs are waek in general. i would have chosen a Phenom or FX
Not all games run at full speed using an i7.... most some fires don't burn under water... (most depends on the context)
(12-28-2015, 10:24 AM)vsub Wrote: That cpu is on the week side when we are talking about 3d games
https://cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A6-5400K+APU&id=1494
Single Thread Rating is really important when we are talking about emulators and you need at least 1600 for most 3d games.
My i7 4771 have around 2200 points and I can play every game at above full speed all of the time(there are few exceptions
Actually about half of PS2 games should run decently on 3x native with his CPU. At least with a few speedhacks to help it along. That was my experience with a Core2Duo with similar STR.
Okay, so what PS2 games will work well with my PC specs?
Which game(s) do you own ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go