Why?
(03-26-2010, 05:11 PM)SirPoozalot Wrote:
(03-26-2010, 05:06 PM)ks9 Wrote:
(03-26-2010, 04:38 PM)SirPoozalot Wrote:
(03-26-2010, 04:29 PM)ks9 Wrote: Sorry had no idea this question was posted this many times. But before this thread is closed, is it realistic to ask that it may be possible sometime in the near future to fully run ps2 games at their normal framerate and settings without high-end system requirements? Pscx for instance runs playstation one games perfectly, and you can do that on practically any machine. Even a netbook.

Sadly no. You really have to understand how these things work. The ps2 is a totally different Hardware set with different CPU instructions and what not. When you use an emulator these things have to translated so that we can in a sense mimic the ps2. It's not easy and to be honest the fact that pcsx2 runs as well as it does is amazing. Most emulators aren't this far along.

Ok, so looks like I might have to buy one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

But can I expect that all ps2 games will eventually be playable like their psx counterparts?

You might want to do a little research on the forums here, you'd learn a lot. You really don't need something like that.
I have:
Q6600 O/C 3.4 GHZ
4GB RAM
Gefore 9600GT x2
and I run the games fine in HD. Do realize though that some games will be unplayable, have crashes, graphical errors, and so on. If you expect it to run like a ps2 then you are not going to get that. Even if you spend the money on that CPU it won't help the games that just don't work. Don't go into the emulator thinking that with a good hardware it'll work just fine, because anything can happen. As someone said earlier a PC isn't a ps2, it wasn't meant to function as one.

Of course the CPU won't fix the graphic glitches and so on, but it will add tremendously to the fps.

I guess it will be cheaper to purchase a ps2 and all the games I'd ever want for it rather than buy this processor and have to be concerned about "will this game run or not?" "how well will it run" etc.

Sponsored links

Quote:I guess it will be cheaper to purchase a ps2 and all the games I'd ever want

anyway, you need to own a PS2 to run the emu.

if your goal is just playing those games exactly like you would do on a real PS2 without any improvement, yeah pcsx2 is useless...
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(03-26-2010, 05:27 PM)jesalvein Wrote:
Quote:I guess it will be cheaper to purchase a ps2 and all the games I'd ever want

if your goal is just playing those games exactly like you would do on a real PS2 without any improvement, yeah pcsx2 is useless...

/agree

Is that some kind of legal requirement? Because if it is, I have 2 ps2's (1 box, 1 slim) and an 80gb limited edition ps3 with backwards compatibility for ps2 and psone. I'm not however too eager to have to pay for MORE games when they can be freely obtained. The games I do own don't run on this emulator (aren't yet supported) but the games I downloaded run at ~35fps on the menu (<30 in game) with all the settings modified to use minimal computing power. The only other options then are to I either get rid of this core 2 duo and get something nicer to support a few games, or continue to purchase games and forget about the emulator entirely. I think I know what decision I'll make.

Thanks for the answer though.

Is that some kind of legal requirement? Because if it is, I have 2 ps2's (1 box, 1 slim) and an 80gb limited edition ps3 with backwards compatibility for ps2 and psone. I'm not however too eager to have to pay for MORE games when they can be freely obtained. The games I do own don't run on this emulator (aren't yet supported) but the games I downloaded run at ~35fps on the menu (<30 in game) with all the settings modified to use minimal computing power. The only other options then are to I either get rid of this core 2 duo and get something nicer to support a few games, or continue to purchase games and forget about the emulator entirely. I think I know what decision I'll make.

Thanks for the answer though.

Who knows, maybe in a few years pscx2 will be up to speed? But by that time, it'll be easier to throw five bucks on each ps2 game rather than spend 15 hours downloading ILLEGAL copies of games. Kind of defeats the purpose of an emulator, but ah well...
you're welcome

It's more than a legal requirement, as you need to extract the bios from your PS2 in order to make the emu work.

And next time, read the rules before posting those kind of things in a forum
Quote:but the games I downloaded run at ~35fps on the menu

warning issued & thread closed.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go