Will 4.5GHz on a Haswell CPU be ennough to get fullspeed on R&C?
(02-10-2015, 10:03 PM)dogen Wrote: Technically your cpu has 6 integer cores, but only 3 fpus. That could limit it's ability to handle a lot of rendering threads, if they do a lot of floating point math.

It's not that simple. Yes I have 6 full integer cores and 3 fpus. But floating point gets a bit tricky. In some cases, it will act as 6 full FPUs(I think each FPU can do two 128 bit ops at once, or one 256 op), in others, it will act as a 3 core / 6 thread setup(like hyper threading in a way).
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD

Sponsored links

(02-10-2015, 07:43 PM)xemnas99 Wrote: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX2-1-2-0-released

Do you enable MTVU? Could you please post the results when you use more than 4 extra rendering threads? I want to know the point of diminishing returns. Thank you.

I've found the following with Rachet and Clank using my laptop:

1.) Hyperthreaded quadcore i7's do best with 2 extra render threads. about about 3/8's of your cpu.

2.) I you use VU stealing, will in some areas it may speed the game up. In others it causes a sound/animation desync. Meaning the sound will go faster than the animation is playing (often the cause of FPS lies).

3.)EE cycle rate also cause problems with sound, in some scenes you wont know what was said because the audio just skipped and stuttered out. I recommend leaving it at 1.

4.) Tick box haxs are helpful some but not very. MTVU, due to your render threads, hurts more than helps. I recommend only Spin detection, and waitloop detection.

5.)Lowering the sound quality of audio will give you a small FPS boost, 2 fps by my count.
Just thought I'd let everybody know that 4.6GHz on 2 threads (no cycle hacks) is enough to keep R&C at 60-63FPS. I did a 5-minute run of the first level and it never went under 60. 4.1GHz is not enough though, it stays at 60 most of the time but it sometimes dips into 54-57. I'm guessing 4.5GHz will be enough to keep it at 60FPS all the time but I don't feel like changing my CPU multiplier again just to test it. XD

Does anyone know of particularly intensive places in this game so I can test them out and see what I kind of FPS I get? Don't worry if it's later on in the game, I'll just grab one of the saves from GameFAQs. Smile

EDIT: Did some more testing at 4.6GHz and found out that it's still not good enough. By looking up in certain scenes where there's a lot of stuff going on, I can make it dip into the mid 50s. Wow. I guess you really need something with more than 4 threads to be able to run this game at 60FPS. I see an i7 in my future. XD

I'm still asking for known intensive scenes though to see how 4.6GHz handles it.
[Image: pNm13X9.gif]
Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1909 | AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD | WD Red Plus 8TB

CPU Intensive Games
GPU Intensive Games
Games that don't need a strong CPU
(02-13-2015, 11:25 PM)TheJourner Wrote: 1.) Hyperthreaded quadcore i7's do best with 2 extra render threads. about about 3/8's of your cpu.

Thanks for the information. This suggests that it depends on the performance of the CPU. It runs better on an i7 4771 with 5 extra rendering threads (MTVU also enabled).

What do you mean by 3/8? If you use 2 extra rendering threads, PCSX2 will use 5 threads.