Will 4.5GHz on a Haswell CPU be ennough to get fullspeed on R&C?
I'd like to know what clock speed is required on a Haswell CPU to get fullspeed in R&C (software mode) without having to resort to speedhacks. The reason I'm asking is because I'm finally getting around to deciding what CPU cooler to buy and I want to know if an OC of about 4.5GHz will be enough or if I should shoot for a higher OC by getting a beefier CPU cooler.

Thanks!
[Image: pNm13X9.gif]
Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1909 | AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD | WD Red Plus 8TB

CPU Intensive Games
GPU Intensive Games
Games that don't need a strong CPU

Sponsored links

(02-09-2015, 04:01 PM)karasuhebi Wrote: I'd like to know what clock speed is required on a Haswell CPU to get fullspeed in R&C (software mode) without having to resort to speedhacks. The reason I'm asking is because I'm finally getting around to deciding what CPU cooler to buy and I want to know if an OC of about 4.5GHz will be enough or if I should shoot for a higher OC by getting a beefier CPU cooler.

Thanks!
Without speedhacks? Forget it. 4.5ghz with them will be fine for full speed 100% of the time
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
By speedhacks do you mean anything other than the recommended hacks which are enabled by default or?
And which R&C game do you mean or all of them?

R&C 1(PAL) - SW mode with recommended hacks and mtvu and 5 threads,the speed is between 50 and 120 and in hw mode...well 75 as minimum but most of the time is unplayable fast.

R&C 2(NTSC) - Either the same in both SW and HW mode or faster

Ratchet Deadlocked(NTSC) - Can't really say...either the same or maybe slower

All 3 games gain HUGE speed boost from VU Cycle Stealing set to 1 in both sw and hw mode

PS.I'm not using the latest beta\official(no particular reason)
My max cpu speed is 3.9Ghz
(02-09-2015, 04:27 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: Without speedhacks? Forget it. 4.5ghz with them will be fine for full speed 100% of the time

So back to my question then: what clock speed is required on a Haswell CPU to get fullspeed in R&C (software mode)?

EDIT:
By speedhacks I mean EE Cyclerate and VU Cycle Stealing. Sorry I wasn't more specific. I meant specifically the first one since it's the only one I've ripped so far but I do own all of them (NTSC).
Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1909 | AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD | WD Red Plus 8TB

CPU Intensive Games
GPU Intensive Games
just quoting vsub:
An i7 4771 @ 3.9Ghz yields between 50 and 120 fps in sw mode using 5 extra rendering threads.
You gain a huge speed if you set vu cycle stealing to 1.
Isn't your question answered?
R&C 1(PAL) new game and the speed is as soon as I can control Ratchet(without moving)
All recommended hacks,VU Cycle Stealing set to 1,GSdx11 SW with 5 threads and Async Audio - 120fps

VU Cycle Stealing set to 0 - 61fps same place

All hacks disabled - 45fps

Audio to TimeStretch - same speed
(02-09-2015, 07:34 PM)willkuer Wrote: just quoting vsub:
An i7 4771 @ 3.9Ghz yields between 50 and 120 fps in sw mode using 5 extra rendering threads.
You gain a huge speed if you set vu cycle stealing to 1.
Isn't your question answered?

Nope, my question was not answered by that. I want to know what kind of clock speed I'll need without the EE Cyclerate or VU Cycle Stealing speedhacks and from what I understand that 50-120FPS speed is achieved with VU Cycle Stealing set to '1'.

P.S. It's not an i7-4771 @ 3.9GHz that gives those speeds BTW. I believe vsub was just wanting to state what his CPU's max clock speed was. Either that or he is misinformed as well. His i7's max clock speed when 4 cores are being used (which I assume would be the case during this situation) is 3.7GHz. 3.9GHz will only come into play if he's using only 1-2 cores.

(02-09-2015, 07:34 PM)vsub Wrote: R&C 1(PAL) new game and the speed is as soon as I can control Ratchet(without moving)
All recommended hacks,VU Cycle Stealing set to 1,GSdx11 SW with 5 threads and Async Audio - 120fps

VU Cycle Stealing set to 0 - 61fps same place

All hacks disabled - 45fps

Nice to see you get fullspeed with 5 threads without the VU Cycle Stealing hack. Too bad I only have access to 4 threads in total. Sad I guess I should have asked what kind of clock speed is needed for fullspeed on 2-3 Haswell threads. Would you mind dropping to 3 threads and telling me what kind of speeds you get? If you leave the default speedhacks on + MTVU that's fine with me. I just don't want to have to use EE Cyclerate and VU Cycle Stealing.

CPU Intensive Games
GPU Intensive Games
(02-09-2015, 08:01 PM)karasuhebi Wrote: I just don't want to have to use EE Cyclerate and VU Cycle Stealing.

Any reason why?
There are some games that hate that option but other work fine and some get huge speed boost from it.

Lowering the threads to 3 I loose 5fps max(same place without moving)
You have to be 100% sure that VU Cycle Stealing is breaking the game\making pcsx2 to crash on that game to not use it since that option as I said,it gives you huge speed boost

(02-09-2015, 08:01 PM)karasuhebi Wrote: P.S. It's not an i7-4771 @ 3.9GHz that gives those speeds BTW. I believe vsub was just wanting to state what his CPU's max clock speed was. Either that or he is misinformed as well. His i7's max clock speed when 4 cores are being used (which I assume would be the case during this situation) is 3.7GHz. 3.9GHz will only come into play if he's using only 1-2 cores.

Only one or two cores can go up to 3.9ghz bit I see how the speed on all 4 cores is constantly changing between 3.5 and 3.9ghz on full load

Here is a picture at 3.7ghz and with vu stealing to 1

Edit:Btw I more often see it little above 120 when I use 4 thread than when I use 5

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The reason why I don't want to use VU Cycle Stealing is because it slows down some games and also, most of the time (SotC being one of the exceptions), it creates a phenomenon known as 'false FPS readings' (I think we should find a better name for this).

Without getting too technical on you, the way VU Cycle Stealing works is by not emulating the PS2's EE chip while VU1 microprograms are being executed, since the EE is just sitting there idling. So basically VU Cycle Stealing frees your CPU from emulating the EE during VU1 microprograms, thus speeding up VU1-heavy games like SO3.

The reason why this speedhack sometimes causes 'false FPS readings' (or whatever it should be called) is because the way PCSX2 implements this hack is by skipping cycles on the EE by some arbitrary amount, based on guesswork on how long the VU1 microprogram will take to execute. Sometimes this guess is wrong and the hack skips more cycles than what were actually spent idle. This translate to slow downs. The problem becomes even more noticeable when you have EE Cyclerate turned on because you're giving the EE even less cycles to work with.

Anyway what I'm trying to say is that sometimes PCSX2's 'FPS counter' might be showing 60 'FPS' (since the emulator is running at fullspeed), but the gameplay itself is slowed down, and this is caused by VU Cycle Stealing. Try it. Bump VU Cycle Stealing up to '2' or '3' and you'll REALLY start to notice the slow down in the game, even though PCSX2 is reporting 60 'FPS'. Just because PCSX2's 'FPS counter' skyrockets with those speedhacks doesn't mean the gameplay is actually running any smoother. EDIT: I think this is why laymen refer to this phenomenon as 'false FPS readings', because PCSX2 is saying 60FPS but the game is clearly not running at 60FPS. If you notice though, the music is not slowed down (since it's handled by the SPU2 chip, not the EE chip) as you'd expect it to be if the emulator really wasn't running at fullspeed. That's because the emulator IS running at fullspeed. If it wasn't running at fullspeed, neither would the SPU2, so the music would slow down. Smile

P.S. What program is telling you that all 4 of your cores are sometimes hitting 3.9GHz? Is it that overlay that I see on the screenshot? BTW I love the name of your RAM. 'leggera' makes me think of the Superleggera versions of some Lamborghinis. XD

CPU Intensive Games
GPU Intensive Games
(02-09-2015, 11:24 PM)karasuhebi Wrote: The reason why I don't want to use VU Cycle Stealing is because it slows down some games and also, most of the time (SotC being one of the exceptions), it creates a phenomenon known as 'false FPS readings' (I think we should find a better name for this).

Without getting too technical on you, the way VU Cycle Stealing works is by not emulating the PS2's EE chip during while VU1 microprograms are being executed, since the EE is just sitting there idling. So basically VU Cycle Stealing frees your CPU from emulating the EE during VU1 microprograms, thus speeding up VU1-heavy games like SO3.

The reason why this speedhack sometimes causes 'false FPS readings' (or whatever it should be called) is because the way PCSX2 implements this hack is by skipping cycles on the EE by some arbitrary amount, based on guesswork on how long the VU1 microprogram will take to execute. Sometimes this guess is wrong and the hack skips more cycles than what were actually spent idle. This translate to slow downs. The problem becomes even more noticeable when you have EE Cyclerate turned on because you're giving the EE even less cycles to work with.

Anyway what I'm trying to say is that sometimes PCSX2's 'FPS counter' might be showing 60 'FPS' (since the emulator is running at fullspeed), but the gameplay itself is slowed down, and this is caused by VU Cycle Stealing. Try it. Bump VU Cycle Stealing up to '2' or '3' and you'll REALLY start to notice the slow down in the game, even though PCSX2 is reporting 60 'FPS'. Just because PCSX2's 'FPS counter' skyrockets with those speedhacks doesn't mean the game is actually running any smoother.

In R&C VU cycle stealing works fine. For whatever reason EE cyclerate actually causes the "fake fps" frameskipping in those games.