Will Up Your Arsenal benefit from i5-2500(non-K) overclocking?
(04-11-2012, 11:52 PM)refraction Wrote: The optimal number of threads for a quad core is 3. Ignore Hyperthreading, its crap, especially for emulation.

Does using 4 cores actually slow PCSX2 down? I switched it to 4 and performance seemed to go up a bit, but that could just be the area of the game I was in.
I think I might buy a 2500k once Ivy bridge comes out, if the price goes down enough.

EDIT: Just tested it with 3 and 4 threads. Using 4 threads actually slowed it down about 10fps, never would have thought that it would.

Sponsored links

(04-11-2012, 11:52 PM)refraction Wrote: The optimal number of threads for a quad core is 3. Ignore Hyperthreading, its crap, especially for emulation.
Ditto, i wish i could turn my HT off to get more clocks, but my mobo won't let me+^_^+ i found alternatives though+^_^+
(P.S. turning off cores via MSConfig turns off a physical core before shutting off the second HT thread)
Signature purposefully left blank.
Disabling HT will give no improvement infact you will loose 1 or 2 fps (I already tested the theory with dolphin and pcsx2 in cpu intensive games) [At least in first gen i7's]
Disabled it does help reduce temps though so you could OC higher with it off, I leave mine on no loss no gain so I'm ok with it, plus it helps reduce compiling time in vs.
i see, well the 2nd gen I core mobiles are really hard to OC and i can't turn it off, thanks for letting me know im not missing anything+^_^+ i almost have full speed now compared to 9.8 (thanks for AVX Devs, it popped it up 5 FPS to 57-60+^_^+)
(04-12-2012, 07:51 PM)ChikTikka Wrote: i see, well the 2nd gen I core mobiles are really hard to OC and i can't turn it off, thanks for letting me know im not missing anything+^_^+ i almost have full speed now compared to 9.8 (thanks for AVX Devs, it popped it up 5 FPS to 57-60+^_^+)

Is it 57-60 FPS all the time for you? Mine always seems to drop to laggyish levels when I most need the FPS (like in large battles or those obstacle course things).

I agree about AVX, it definitely helps FPS. Is there any chance it will get better? (Because then I will be able to enjoy large fights without lag Happy )
(04-13-2012, 03:53 AM)thunder21 Wrote: Is it 57-60 FPS all the time for you? Mine always seems to drop to laggyish levels when I most need the FPS (like in large battles or those obstacle course things).

I agree about AVX, it definitely helps FPS. Is there any chance it will get better? (Because then I will be able to enjoy large fights without lag Happy )
there's a few scenes in Xenosaga that drop to 30-35 FPS, most notably is when KOS-MOS is introducing herself in the beginning of EP-1 and the camera pans out, that's where i do my benchmarking with new SVNs, the new AVX support almost added 10FPS to that scene for me+^_^+ almost everything else in Xenosaga 1-2 seem fine (cept mechs)+^_^+
(04-12-2012, 07:16 AM)hyakki Wrote: Disabling HT will give no improvement infact you will loose 1 or 2 fps (I already tested the theory with dolphin and pcsx2 in cpu intensive games) [At least in first gen i7's]
Disabled it does help reduce temps though so you could OC higher with it off, I leave mine on no loss no gain so I'm ok with it, plus it helps reduce compiling time in vs.

I had barely if any performance difference turning HT off (i have the i7 920), plus there are many articles about HT on the first generation i7's showing how it was actually a decrease in performance having it on.

Also the temperature drop is about 5-10 degrees for me which can get me quite a bit of head room, more so than the change in performance disabling HT.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(04-13-2012, 02:12 PM)refraction Wrote: I had barely if any performance difference turning HT off (i have the i7 920), plus there are many articles about HT on the first generation i7's showing how it was actually a decrease in performance having it on.

Also the temperature drop is about 5-10 degrees for me which can get me quite a bit of head room, more so than the change in performance disabling HT.

And I thought I was missing out when I didn't get an i7 Tongue

FPS in Up Your Arsenal is acceptable enough for now, but I'm interested to see if the ratchet games will ever be able to use a GPU without glitches.
(04-13-2012, 02:12 PM)refraction Wrote: I had barely if any performance difference turning HT off (i have the i7 920), plus there are many articles about HT on the first generation i7's showing how it was actually a decrease in performance having it on.

those articles were on vista